Apollo A7L Moon Suit

The step from the pressure helmet interface and the visor rest looks too small. The radius is only slightly larger than the bubble. It look like you have made it larger than the helmet side of the disconnect.
Here are some dimensions:
Suit side disconnect- ID 9.900"
Bubble helmet OD at disconnect- 9.415"
Helmet side disconnect ID- 10.350 (flange) / OD- 10.350"

Excellent! Thanks again for the input... I found that the pressure helmet was sitting to far back so I moved it forward and adjusted the helmet around the back neck. Also pulled the visor rest fwd and enlarged it as you suggested... Still feels like it may be too narrow side to side. little by little.

LEVA-WIP_11-01.jpgA7L_Apollo_0071.jpg

Sad to report.....I burned up on re-entry on Halloween. Wife and I went out on Halloween after I had been awake for 48 hours making my way home from the Middle East. Next morning, my face shield was cracked in half and Im missing my left glove. Time to get serious on the upgrades.....and tie a string to my mittens.

Sad to report.....I burned up on re-entry on Halloween. Wife and I went out on Halloween after I had been awake for 48 hours making my way home from the Middle East. Next morning, my face shield was cracked in half and Im missing my left glove. Time to get serious on the upgrades.....and tie a string to my mittens.

That's a bummer! Especially the face shield.... damn.

-------

hot off the press...
IMG_0495.JPG

Last edited:
Yea Ken! Looking good. I have a spare clear shield but sourcing the fabric is tough. The grey fabric is similiar to an ironing board cover but the white beta cloth(replica)....Grr. Nobody is giving up their source.

Yea Ken! Looking good. I have a spare clear shield but sourcing the fabric is tough. The grey fabric is similiar to an ironing board cover but the white beta cloth(replica)....Grr. Nobody is giving up their source.

Thanks.

Yeah, I found the grey fabric at the local fabric store, but i haven't really put much effort into finding a good source for a beta cloth look-alike... In a way it almost looks like it has the texture of a drapery material.

My Ebay/Space store suit has a nylon smooth 'beta' cloth. The closest thing I found at the local fabric store is something called duck cloth in white. Its like white denim. I need to go to the garment district in LA or NYC. Mr. Nagata has a great source......'Hint" :)

Beta cloth is actually called Teflon coated Beta glass. Basically, a Teflon coated fiberglass fabric. I understand there are 2 versions, single pass Beta and double pass Beta. If I remember correctly one has a straight weave look and the other has a basket weave look. Nylon does a pretty good approximation to the way Beta glass moves from the "springy" aspect and looks close to single pass Beta. In fact we use Nylon on our "A" grade PLSS and RCU because it looks better. The down side to Beta Glass is it's durability. Folded 180 degrees, over time it cracks and frays.
We use a straight Teflon fabric for the suit TMG, it gives a better look for the way light plays off of it.
A search for Teflon fabric will get you results for that, but, be prepared to pay $100-$200/ yard. Ortho fabric used on the Shuttle EMU was $350/ yard, but now you can't buy it unless you order 5000 yards. Another material you will find nearly impossible to get is loop tape. The stuff the suit layers are held together with., again, as with Ortho, if you order 10,000 yards, it's only $1.72 /yrd.

Yes, that looks like what we use on our "B" grade suits. It's a pretty good ,match for a 20th the cost.

Here is a close up of my Ebay/Space toys Apollo suit. I incorporated the left shoulder flag patch for size reference. Its def not cotton as it melts and has a slight sheen when clean....

IMG_20161108_094259_zpsgsynrr6j.png

The weave looks similar to Mr. Nagatas link.

This is another possibility. But then again a person needs to have eyes and hands on a sample. Thus a trip to the fabric district.
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0348612/nylon-pack-cloth-white

Yeah, that's not the material of the one I saw. Probably a nylon pack cloth or cordura.

If memory serves, I paid to upgrade everything on the base suit (aluminum connectors, neck-ring Commander stripes AND upgraded fabric).

This was the base suit. They have since offered the cuffs. Memory was correct, base suit is white denim, upgrade is the material very similar to Mr. Nagatas link. if you scroll in on the pics on the ebay auction, you can see the denim weave.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APOLLO-SPAC...868925?hash=item25c6ba01fd:g:qYkAAOSwNuxXYE8W

Sorry about posting an active Ebay link, but this item is not a one of kind thing that a member will "get outbid on".

Last edited:
Would anyone be willing to print the NASA meatball, mission patch and flag on fabric? I will pay, just don't have easy access to a color printer

I can hook you up - I'm working on a suit myself. PM me.

Actually, I re-read the forum rules on selling, and I think I need to retract that offer seeing as I'm a new, non-premium member. Sorry for the confusion. I hope you can get it worked out.

Out of curiosity, which mission patch were you looking for?

Sorry for the thread jack.

The RCU dimensions of Shapeways are not correct
I own an original part of Apollo era
In the previous posting are the images of the Ingeneursmoduls

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back