Apollo A7L Moon Suit

Next up, the RCU. Still a wip, but it's getting there.

WIP-03.jpgWIP-02.jpgWIP-01.jpgWIP-04.jpg

As far as I know, the hard parts like the glove disconnects and neck ring were a fixed size. Though they did enlarge the ventilation port on the neck ring between A10 and A11.

Thank you!
I asked because a friend of mine did a sculpture of Alan Bean: http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum41/HTML/000707.html

He had access to a suit and is the guy who sent me the measurements I posted in the first page of this thread. Anyway, he claims that glove disconnects come in different sizes. The suit he had access to measured 104mm (4"). Either way, I gotta make mine 4".

The gloves definitely had different sizes because they made castings of every astronaut's hand for the glove dips. But I doubt they had quite as much variation in the disconnects. It's possible they had a couple sizes though (don't know). I have some first generation castings of hardware here. There are several stairsteps inside the glove portion. If you measure from the top, it's 4 inches. But the narrowest inner ring is 3.5." (the glove disconnects have multiple rings). Obviously make sure your hand fits though!

Thank you!
I asked because a friend of mine did a sculpture of Alan Bean: http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum41/HTML/000707.html

He had access to a suit and is the guy who sent me the measurements I posted in the first page of this thread. Anyway, he claims that glove disconnects come in different sizes. The suit he had access to measured 104mm (4"). Either way, I gotta make mine 4".

Does anybody have a file with text pieces that I can print on the fabric paper to attach to the PLSS, RCU, and wrist cuffs? Searching the net and finding nothing :(

Does anyone out there have decent LEVA reference?? Looking for photos of the helmet WITHOUT the protective covering so I can model this sucker properly.

Never been able to find pictures of the Apollo LEVA without the cover. I've seen replicas without the cover, earlier versions without the cover and the SEVA without the cover, but not Apollo LEVA. But it was thermoformed and you can find plenty of photos of the inside of LEVAs on the Smithsonian website. You can build it that way. Just imagine the details on the outer surface being softer than the details on the inside.

Apollo-A7L-helmet-e1326482676787.jpg
This is the only shot I can find so far without covering. Does it look like the real deal to you?
Also, thanks for the tip on building from the inside details, I didn't realize the shell was thermoformed...

--edit--

Made some progress...
LEVA-WIP_10-27.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a very nice copy, but I have my doubts that it's the real deal because of the hardware sticking out on the hinge assy inside. Flight helmets that I have come in contact with usually use spherical/low profile nuts inside for the wearer's protection. As this sets it's going to scratch the daylights out of the bubble worn underneath... that or there's some type of inner cover missing in this shot. I also find it strange that it's apparently photographed outside.

Best regards,
Chuck

Gentlemen, I stumbled across this forum/site looking for plastic safe paint and anodizing stripper for stereo knobs. I must say that the level of detail and workmanship is completely amazing! I'm a bit of a NASA buff and have a few items from the Saturn V era. Please keep replicating these items... It preserves our history. Fantastic work and thank you. J

That's a Global Effects LEVA.
I think your right. What threw me was the hex bolts at the bottom of the visor mount tab. I think these should be Philips head and the rubber pads are missing. This may have been a rest, or an early one.

Edit: Looking at it again, yes this is and early piece we made for HBO's "From The Earth to the Moon". The lift tabs and side sun shades are formed aluminum and as yet unpainted.
BTW: that's pretty close to the real ones. We were given an original A7Lb center sunshade to repair and were told we could mold it. Well I realized that since the sunshade covers 2/3 of the helmet arc and we only have .300" clearance, if our LEVVA* was not the same size, the sunshade would crash into the sun visor. It fit perfect!

*Lunar Extra Vehicular Visor Assembly

Last edited:
Also, thanks for the tip on building from the inside details, I didn't realize the shell was thermoformed...

--edit--

Made some progress...
View attachment 677412
kenlandrum,
If I understand your drawing correctly, you have the bottom edge illustrated as a square profile with one radius'd side. The bottom flange on the LEVVA shell is circular, with a radius about 0.100" larger than the pressure bubble.

The LEVVA shell clamps over the pressure dome. There is clearance for rubber pads at the back to "grip" the dome. The stainless band in the front is also padded. That is why the .100" larger radius.

I knew it because I recognize the picture from a guy's website who used to work for you. It was in his portfolio and I found it on the internet a while back.

I think your right. What threw me was the hex bolts at the bottom of the visor mount tab. I think these should be Philips head and the rubber pads are missing. This may have been a rest, or an early one.

Edit: Looking at it again, yes this is and early piece we made for HBO's "From The Earth to the Moon". The lift tabs and side sun shades are formed aluminum and as yet unpainted.
BTW: that's pretty close to the real ones. We were given an original A7Lb center sunshade to repair and were told we could mold it. Well I realized that since the sunshade covers 2/3 of the helmet arc and we only have .300" clearance, if our LEVVA* was not the same size, the sunshade would crash into the sun visor. It fit perfect!

*Lunar Extra Vehicular Visor Assembly

kenlandrum,
If I understand your drawing correctly, you have the bottom edge illustrated as a square profile with one radius'd side. The bottom flange on the LEVVA shell is circular, with a radius about 0.100" larger than the pressure bubble.

The LEVVA shell clamps over the pressure dome. There is clearance for rubber pads at the back to "grip" the dome. The stainless band in the front is also padded. That is why the .100" larger radius.

Thanks for the feedback!
I made several other changes to the shell as well....
LEVA-WIP_10-31.jpg

The step from the pressure helmet interface and the visor rest looks too small. The radius is only slightly larger than the bubble. It look like you have made it larger than the helmet side of the disconnect.
Here are some dimensions:
Suit side disconnect- ID 9.900"
Bubble helmet OD at disconnect- 9.415"
Helmet side disconnect ID- 10.350 (flange) / OD- 10.350"

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back