White Walker - halloween costume advice and tips

MrLatvia

Hi all :thumbsup

Been browsing the forums on and off for about a year now, but with my ever-present interest in makeup and creative effects I've decided I'd finally join the community and try to expand my knowledge.

Halloween is on its way in the UK. I always use this time of the year as an opportunity to feed my creative desires, each year trying to tackle a more ambitious project. Last year was my first experience with prosthetics (gelatine based). I was going to try my hand at some pre-made reusable silicone prosthetics this year (I liked the idea of having versatile reusable appliances) for a cliched Walking Dead style zombie. However, a friend of mine gave me the idea at having a go at Game of Thrones White Walker, a fantastic idea, but a lot more complex it seems than just a 'white zombie', like I first thought.

I came across this highly inspirational piece which I'm sure many of you have seen already (White Walker/ Other "Game of thrones" Halloween Costume 2012) I am confident with painting, have experience in clay sculpting (art student) and I'm comfortable in using pre-made prosthetic appliances.

I guess the question thats on my mind is: would it be too ambitious to try my hand at creating a latex mask and creating a full head cast if necessary? (considering I have 0 experience in casting and have one week).
I'd consider viable alternatives if anyone can recommend them, though I'd assume they wouldn't look quite as effective as a full latex mask.

Photos courtesy of Creatures Inc. Ltd
7485864988_cb127efe23_o.jpg7485868054_7353540fbe_o.jpg7485868590_f9e4dc9bb7_o.jpg

hi Latvia

give it a go. i started a few months ago and although some mistakes were made, i got it done.
i'd never createda latex mask in my life, but it was a great learning experience and challenge.

check out my other posts to see the build.

good luck

You can actually use toilet paper with a little water to make your own prosthetics and then "paint" them in liquid latex. (let them dry before you paint them.) And I have seen that method used to produce movie-quality make-up effects. It just depends on your skill as an artist, and how much time you can focus on it. But that would save you the time of having to make a life-cast or sculpt prosthetics, mold them, ect... It's ghetto, but it can work very well. A full prosthetic from scratch (using clay and molds and such) can be done in a week, but it would be difficult. Watch an episode of Face-off for inspiration. They do it all in 2 and a half days, but they have a lot of experience, already. The toilet-paper method is a lot like paper-machete, and you just go the extra step with the latex and paint. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses!

I don't mind putting in the time, I'm literally free entirely for the next week. Tbh, though less time consuming, I'd expect it to be more difficult to craft paper and liquid latex to a certain appearance than using clay sculpting, no?

I've seen some people go with just a pre bought head bust and use that by sculpting their face with clay first and then working off that. I have a friend that is willing to help out with life casting if I go down that route. In terms of materials is alginate and plaster the way forward? What is used for the mould itself? It seems many use Ultra Cal but I don't think you can buy this in the UK.

ultracal is just a form of casting plaster.

i use fine casting plaster for latex moulds. bought from (beleive it or not) my local Jewsons.
its a lot cheaper than in the crafty shops. i think i pay about £9 for a 25 kg bag.

the algenate for my life mask i got from ebay.

i made the algenate cast, then casta plaster master from that. i then got a polystyrene maniquin head , cut the face off, and stuck my own face on it, blending in with more plaster.
i then made a latex mould from that master which means i can make as many lifecasts as i need.

i used that mould to make a master for the sculping base. i built the clay up on that to create the davy mask.

I've ended up answering my own question and realised my project WAS too ambitious for the time frame.

I stayed up on the night I posted this outlining everything I need to buy, down to all the tools and miscellaneous things like mixing buckets I didn't have. Lets just say the total amount at its cheapest price point exceeded what I wanted to spend on such short notice. I don't mind putting in the money, but I'd also like to put in an equal amount of time and not rush the project. I'm sure sculpting realistically will take a lot of practice in itself. I'm a perfectionist so I'd like to take my time and get it right.

I will probably stick with the idea but not go all screen accurate as depicted by 'the great one'. Probably buy some off the shelf prosthetics like last year and work with them. Someone recommended me trying to work with PAX paints so I'll look into that.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back