Alien: Isolation

Also, it's a good thing they stuck with the films and didn't look at the novelizations of "Alien" and "Aliens" by Alan Dean Foster when it comes to how the xenomorph tracks (going from Jeyl's YouTube link). According to the novelization of "Aliens", one of the ways a Xenomorph can find you is that it has the ability to hear your heartbeat. There was a scene where Bishop, after he crawled through the tunnel to get to the colony transmitter, encountered one of the xenomorphs face to face, but it didn't notice him and went away because Bishop didn't have a heartbeat.

You know, that line of reasoning could still work. The Queen does go after Newt instead of the still active Bishop who's slowly crawling on the hanger floor. It doesn't have to be just the heart beat either. You could say that the heart beat in combination of other movement sounds that help the Xenomorph distinguish it's prey.

And this may just be coincidence... but the sound of heart beats is very prominent in the original ALIEN, especially when the Xenomorph is close.

Maybe it's a combo of heat and heartbeat. I doubt Bishop gave off much heat or enough to pass as being made of nice chewy meat. You know i don't remember actually ever seeing the Aliens eat. I know in the first one they were food (weren't they supposed to mutate into aliens too or something?). This game has potential, then again as long as gearbox isn't handling it 3 monkeys with a chainsaw could make a better game. I really liked parts of Colonial Marines but this one could be a really fresh and interesting game. Think they may have Weaver record audio files as ripley for the daughter to listen to? I really hope they get at least one Bishop in here, i just love the character and actor.

I have a hunch that this game is going to pull something big that we haven't seen yet. Everything has been about a station, a lone xenomorph with a couple of humans and androids getting in our way. Those elements alone are nice, but we can't expect that to be the sole setting of the game. No. I think as the game progresses that Amanda is going to find herself on LV-426 and wind up inside the Derelict spacecraft. Think about it. With the game play mechanics being more focused on your surroundings than what you can shoot, imagine what they would do if you were thrown inside the derelict? The biomechanical setting with the xenomorph stalking you could be the Giger style game the likes of which we haven't seen since, well, anything. If SEGA wants to tie in this game's story to the movie, going to the derelict would offer some ways to do that. They could explain why a huge section of the ship was torn off, and explain why the ship's warning was not discovered by the company when they came to colonize the planet. It would be a lot easier and more believable covering those areas than explaining why Hicks isn't in his tube in Alien3.

Oh, SEGA. No more ALIEN3 connections.

And to toss even more unmitigated terror into the mix, the game will officially support Oculus Rift on PC. On the one hand, I'm thinking "maybe"... on the other hand, I might last all of five minutes before ripping the thing off.

10366103_10204006911202786_6229783501590420130_n.jpg

You know, that line of reasoning could still work. The Queen does go after Newt instead of the still active Bishop who's slowly crawling on the hanger floor. It doesn't have to be just the heart beat either. You could say that the heart beat in combination of other movement sounds that help the Xenomorph distinguish it's prey.

And this may just be coincidence... but the sound of heart beats is very prominent in the original ALIEN, especially when the Xenomorph is close.

Maybe it's a combo of heat and heartbeat. I doubt Bishop gave off much heat or enough to pass as being made of nice chewy meat. You know i don't remember actually ever seeing the Aliens eat. I know in the first one they were food (weren't they supposed to mutate into aliens too or something?). This game has potential, then again as long as gearbox isn't handling it 3 monkeys with a chainsaw could make a better game. I really liked parts of Colonial Marines but this one could be a really fresh and interesting game. Think they may have Weaver record audio files as ripley for the daughter to listen to? I really hope they get at least one Bishop in here, i just love the character and actor.

Well, if it were the case, then when it comes to the gameplay footage where Amanda first encounters the Alien, it should have stayed in close proximity to where she was hiding if it detected her heart beat, wouldn't it? And since the game has a noise maker to draw the Alien's attention, if it detected heartbeats and heat, then wouldn't it not be drawn to the noise maker because it doesn't have any heat to it (unless there's some sort of heat producing coil on it as well)?

But then again, with the heartbeat/heat bit, if it was still Cameron's intention to keep it in the film, that means when the Queen stabbed it's tail through Bishop, it was actually targeting Ripley's heartbeat and heat and Bishop just happen to be in the way, right? So that means Bishop being impaled and ripped apart wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been standing in front of Ripley, and Ripley would have been the first person dead, wouldn't it?

The Bishop series and androids in general seem to have no luck with Ripley around. I wouldn't put it past Cameron to have just had Bishop in the way by accident. Maybe they'll throw in some Prometheus links (still haven't seen it yet). Who knows the aliens could taste the air like snakes do, they never really covered much of what they really are or how they operate. I mean they don't even seem to have any meat inside their shells, they just tend to blow up in slashes of acid.

Even at that you think there'd be more inside them than just the acid unless it was just something that wasn't detailed for time and money's sake.

Even at that you think there'd be more inside them than just the acid unless it was just something that wasn't detailed for time and money's sake.

There is. They've got KY slime drooling from every orifice, and a "as of yet seen" ability to secrete that tough as resign material.

This game looks fantastic.

Ever since Amnesia: The Dark Decent, the one franchise that could put the concept of "run, hide, think" gameplay over "shoot, shoot, shoot" gameplay mechanics is ALIEN. Not since the original AVP game for the PC has there ever been a title where I associate the phrase "The game fans have been waiting for" with. It just needs to pull it off.

Ever since Amnesia: The Dark Decent, the one franchise that could put the concept of "run, hide, think" gameplay over "shoot, shoot, shoot" gameplay mechanics is ALIEN. Not since the original AVP game for the PC has there ever been a title where I associate the phrase "The game fans have been waiting for" with. It just needs to pull it off.

I'm not much of a gamer. Used to be a FPS player back in the early 2000's and have maybe played one game per year since then (Half Life, Mass Effect 2, Skyrim, act.) and I had fun playing Colonial Marines even though it wasn't the best. But as huge A L I E N this game is right in my visual wheel house, although besides Metal Gear Solid and Deus Ex I have not a lot of experience with "sneak" games.

I'm not much of a gamer. Used to be a FPS player back in the early 2000's and have maybe played one game per year since then (Half Life, Mass Effect 2, Skyrim, act.) and I had fun playing Colonial Marines even though it wasn't the best. But as huge A L I E N this game is right in my visual wheel house, although besides Metal Gear Solid and Deus Ex I have not a lot of experience with "sneak" games.

I wouldn't say that the game is all that dependent on "sneaking" as it is "reacting". If Amnesia was nothing but sneaking, it'd be a pretty boring game. When you sneak in games like Metal Gear Solid and Deus Ex, you know where the enemy is and you're taking steps to ensure that you can kill them with the weapon you have. In Amnesia, you have no weapon so you're forced to spend a lot of your time figuring out how to move forward and where the enemy is going to make a jump at you. There are some moments where you cannot sneak your way out of something and you have to make a mad dash towards whatever 'thing' you can get to in order to survive.

Since Isolation is going to bring in combat mechanics into the mix, maintaining a good balance between the two will be crucial. I'm already liking the idea of luring the alien into a room where a human enemy is residing. And even though the androids are not invincible like the Xenomorph, they, just like in the movies, will take a lot punishment in order to fully stop them. The new design is creepy enough, but the sight of seeing one coming at you without legs? That would be sick.

The E3 videos showing the flamethrower were a bit funny. Like a flamethrower could harm an Alien :lol

*sigh* AvP what a great game. Still to this day I have yet to play another game where you never know where the enemies will come from in singleplayer. Rebellion made this awesome spawn system where you could play the same level 10 times, each time the xenos would come from different places at different times. Awesome :)
It's 15 years since it was released! I bought it back in the summer of '99 when I didn't even have a computer yet for it :lol

The E3 videos showing the flamethrower were a bit funny. Like a flamethrower could harm an Alien :lol

No, but as we learned in the first two films, they're not big fans of fire, so that means you can use it to keep them away from you as you're trying to flee (but with the limited supply of fuel in the tank, you may have to use it when you're in a desperate situation and your back is against the wall with no other option available).

*sigh* AvP what a great game. Still to this day I have yet to play another game where you never know where the enemies will come from in singleplayer. Rebellion made this awesome spawn system where you could play the same level 10 times, each time the xenos would come from different places at different times. Awesome :)
It's 15 years since it was released! I bought it back in the summer of '99 when I didn't even have a computer yet for it :lol

The way you describe Rebellion reminds me a bit of Left 4 Dead when it first came out, where the game is ran by a "Director", and it has the ability to spawn certain enemies at different places at different times, making each time you play a campaign a bit unpredictable at times. In fact, I remember that someone was working on a campaign/mod for L4D that was to be a remake of the Alien Trilogy game, and featured Xenomorphs along with the Infected (or maybe they had plans on replacing all the Infected, both common and Special Infected, with Aliens. I can't remember it clearly).

No, but as we learned in the first two films, they're not big fans of fire, so that means you can use it to keep them away from you as you're trying to flee (but with the limited supply of fuel in the tank, you may have to use it when you're in a desperate situation and your back is against the wall with no other option available).

The way you describe Rebellion reminds me a bit of Left 4 Dead when it first came out, where the game is ran by a "Director", and it has the ability to spawn certain enemies at different places at different times, making each time you play a campaign a bit unpredictable at times. In fact, I remember that someone was working on a campaign/mod for L4D that was to be a remake of the Alien Trilogy game, and featured Xenomorphs along with the Infected (or maybe they had plans on replacing all the Infected, both common and Special Infected, with Aliens. I can't remember it clearly).

It was a bit like L4D, except L4D is a tad more advanced of course :p

It was a bit like L4D, except L4D is a tad more advanced of course :p

I'm surprised there haven't been other games that used this concept. I mean, an Aliens game using the Director system like that, it would probably be interesting to use for game play (in fact, for L4D2, it also alters the path that the players have to go through, and placement of weapons, ammo and health packs, and what changes at those drops. That'd be kind of interesting to have for an Aliens game). But that's just my opinion.

I'm surprised there haven't been other games that used this concept. I mean, an Aliens game using the Director system like that, it would probably be interesting to use for game play (in fact, for L4D2, it also alters the path that the players have to go through, and placement of weapons, ammo and health packs, and what changes at those drops. That'd be kind of interesting to have for an Aliens game). But that's just my opinion.

It was like that in the first L4D also. A lot of people told Gearbox to make Colonial Marines a bit like L4D... they heard it, ignored it, and focused(resources and SEGA's money) on Borderlands/Borderlands 2 instead :facepalm

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back