Alien: Isolation

BTW, reading this has just made me remember, there were some very positive hands-on reviews of A:CM by journalists, weren't there? They were playing the multiplayer mode a few months before release.

Yes and no. Point is the ones that were positive clearly had little to no clue about anything Aliens releated. Some referred to the motion-tracker as a "motion sensor like the heartbeat sensor in Call of Duty" :facepalm

That looks terrible. Like Prometheus meets ADI.

Some of us have "Hadley's" Hope for a good game/comic/book. I am still playing Colonial Marines because A) My PS3 broke the day it was released and I paid full price so I might as well try to get my money's worth. B) I just beat the first level a week ago... I have twins and I suck at games. C) So far it has been entertaining and the game manages to make me jump. Granted I missed out on the game before all of the patches so I will never know the original awful release but I am sure I didn't miss anything. Of course, sometimes I watch the trailer that had the soundtrack from Inception and think about what could have been.

Looks increadible, AND it's been played by journalists, meaning; what I've heard is enough for me. The verdict seems to be unanimous..

I value reviews, because I value the extra-insight of someone's expertise. Granted, sometimes they don't know jack (example; Birds of Prey was basically IL2 Sturmovik on console, i.e; the FIRST proper combat flight sim on console, it rocked..but was near universally panned by critics [it was the few who could actually PLAY flight-sims; who gave it it's handful of high scores]). Birds of Steel was a very big improvement; new flight-model, damage model [an upgrade over what was probably already the second or third-best on the market, now only really behind Battle of Britain] turbulence from prop wash, different altitudes and explosions..and one of the best looking games on '360/ps3 to boot....but it gets similar scores. War Thunder, which is currently only reviewable via it's aircraft component [soon it'll have tanks-well and truely blowing World of Tanks out-of-the-water, and into space..and eventually even ships]: but the reviews are still mostly 7's and 8's. That's the difficulty curve driving the scores; as only a handful can actually review these games. Apache Air Assault too-easily the best helicopter sim in the history of console; gets mainly 6's and '7's [although it IS less-polished]..they're all the same developer.
In general though, the aggregate of many reviews put together; tells a very useful story. Even with the games mentioned [and I can't think of ANY game series more deserving of praise, and that gets so little]; at least you can tell they're not rubbish..

Anywho; can't wait.
The best prior Alien/s games; have tended to have human opposition, whereas the chief weakness of the disappointing ones; seemed to me to be weak AI [and even tech limits, i.e: the 50m view distance of Alien Resurrection-making most of the fear feel too cheap].
If the most perfect organism in the galaxy; walks into walls, gets stuck in things, can't see you, has a 'magic all-seeing eye' [i.e; no AI OR senses, just a computer lock], or eats it's own faeces..the illusion, and interest in playing the game: falls away very rapidly. Like a scripted jump-scare. But the AI in this, sounds frightening..
Also; LOOK at the lighting..James Cameron was right; videogames are really approaching cinema-quality now. Sound design's superb, too..pretty much a given, considering the 3+ TERRABYTES of original info, that makes these guys: the new-most knowledgeable Alien geeks on the planet. However much you or I know..these guys have seen more.
Open areas to be dynamically hunted in, beautiful peak/lean controls, Mirrors Edge/Far Cry 3 'next gen [ahead if it's time]' physicality..it's ticking all the boxes.
The bits of CM that looked good in previews; were multiplayer. The biggest mistake they made, was inheriting a 6-yr old game; and not throwing it out-and starting again. Isolation..is already one of the best-looking next-gen games, and it's a year out from release. The deeper you look, the more it seems to be making all the right sounds. After all; it would be most-fitting if the most-artistically perfect film-a high water mark-even now: should get an equally well-designed, rare, and quality game based around the same core experience, sensitively delivered..

Finally [this is pure speculation on my part]; but don't C.A make all those Total War games? Isn't this also merely the start of the new console's lifespan? And wouldn't it be easier to make, say; one Alien-and make it believable...than say; 50?? Finally...don't Sega own the Alien license???
If this does well [and what core gamer WOULDN'T want an authentic Alien survival-horror game]; perhaps, a couple or more years down the line; and we might see C.A take another stab at a Colonial Marines' type game...thus fulfilling another dream, and undoing a great evil.
Heck, this gen of consoles should last 8 years, just like the last [part of why I adore them]; 5 years from now..and why wouldn't they be able to get; 50 or a couple of hundred advanced Alien AI on screen, deformable materials [i.e: corridors melted away], semi-open worlds, a functioning airlock system [i.e; ship A.I]...graphics of this calibre, and excellent F.P.S controls???
Tech limits; have always stifled these games...not for much longer I think.

This may only be the beginning of a renaissance in the quality of Alien games..

Z

New article:
Alien: Isolation ? The Most Authentic Alien Game Ever? - IGN

If only it would actually look this good:
1jpg-8864f6.jpg

FULLSIZE

I'm really looking forward to this.

Oculus Rift VR compatibility would make for an incredible experience, no? I hope that's a consideration.

True but it's not the same M16 that first entered service some 50 years ago, we're on the A4(?) now and is largely superseded by the M4 in Army service. The 1911 did receive some minor changes over the years but I'll agree that it remained largely unchanged and some of the 1911s in service were quite old. However, there's a world of difference between a gun, which is a purely mechanical device, and a digital/electronic device like a motion tracker.

The closest real life analogue to the motion tracker is the modern field radio like the PRC77 which entered service in the late 60s but was largely being replaced by SINCGARS during the 90s. So chances are very unlikely that the Colonial Marine Corps issue motion tracker is 30+ year old unit, basic tech wise it may be that old but I highly doubt that the unit itself is that old.

Perhaps.

But, tear apart an M16, M16A1, M16A2, M16A3, M16A4, M4, M4A1, and M4A2, then mix up the parts.

Except for the selector and the presence/absence of a burst cam (M16A3, M16A4, M4A1, M4A2,) the internals are all but identical - and swap freely.

Most of the M4/M16 internals can even be used in the AR-15 - earlier AR receivers were machined to the same specs as the M16/M4 receivers, but later ones had parts of the inside "filled in" to deny the use of the FA issue parts.

The M1911 was revised ca 1981 (70 years after being accepted, 75-76 years after development) to make the M1911A1, which added a "drop safety" to the workings. This is a small plunger that interrupts travel of the firing pin until it is pressed by a lever that is actuated by the trigger. This plunger may be removed (reverting it to the operation of the M1911,) the lever may be removed (allowing installation of an M1911 slide on an M1911A1 frame,) or remove the plunger to put the M1911A1 slide on the M1911 receiver. A number of internals swap freely, save the "plunger safety" used in the M1911A1 and the associated lever.

Firearms have been used in some manner or another military for over 150 years, machine guns for over a century.

Given that technology has improved (I'm certain) between now and the first ALIEN movie, I don't consider it outside the realm of possibility that a competent engineer couldn't rig some variety of motion tracker, working on "micro-changes in air density." Given that he'd be working with "native material," it would of necessity be somewhat limited in capability - kinda like making a zip gun (cf: General Motors "Liberator" pistol, WWII, airdropped over France by the thousands.)

Give me access to a decent electronic shop, and I could build a RADAR set - although ultrasound would be easier. But, it wouldn't have anywhere near the capability of a properly-produced RADAR set - likely unidirectional, ranging only (speed discrimination would be limited, if present at all,) and no CRT/LCD display - audio feedback is easier to do, and takes less equipment (but isn't quite as easy to understand, until you're used to it.)

Make sense? Even if the principle were known then, there's still a world of difference between something built in a factory from a well-developed plan, probably using purpose-made components, and something stomped up in a workshop by a ship's engineer in a hurry because it would be a help...

(It may already have been general-issue, which would be how Brett got the idea - he just had to figure out how to make it work with what he had.)

Apparently, there's more than just the alien that's going to be a threat. Here's another video preview for the game.

Also, it appears they're trying to make sure that the low tech style of the movie is best represented and they're sticking as close to the production design presented from the original film. So, the game is going to give us more of a feeling of the movie (which I think is kinda cool). So, I guess that we may be able to have items that could be able to be done as prop replicas to add to the Alien arsenal.

Last edited by a moderator:
The real questions for this forum are:

aidevelop04.jpg

is this thing based on a real prop they made?

Can it be reproduced?? What parts are needed?

The real questions for this forum are:

View attachment 334054

is this thing based on a real prop they made?

Can it be reproduced?? What parts are needed?

From what I've gathered from the video, is that everything in the game is designed in a way that it appears like it could have been made in the 1970s in the same manner as the film production. So, that means that they probably looked at various bits and pieces of equipment and items from that time and probably made this thing in the same manner. As to if it can be recreated as a real world item, it's hard to say for certain.

5 Minutes Of (Mostly) Stealth In Alien: Isolation

Things to note.

- There will be weapons that you can use to kill enemies, but the Xenomorph is pretty much invincible.
- Human enemies will be present, including inferior looking androids.
- The original flamethrower from ALIEN returns and is usable.
- You will be able to craft items in the game.
- Spot the cute little reference to Ash at 3:39?

I wonder if the game's production company got ahold of pictures of Sigourney Weaver's mother of when she was in her 20s and tried to cast someone that looked like her (for those who don't get why I'm wondering this, which I'm sure is a small number of people here, in the "Special Edition" of "Aliens", there's a scene where Ellen Ripley gets news about what happened to her daughter Amanda, who is the character you play in this game. For the scene in "Aliens", the production used a picture of Sigourney Weaver's mother, actress Elizabeth Inglis, as the picture of Amanda Ripley at age 66).

Also, it's a good thing they stuck with the films and didn't look at the novelizations of "Alien" and "Aliens" by Alan Dean Foster when it comes to how the xenomorph tracks (going from Jeyl's YouTube link). According to the novelization of "Aliens", one of the ways a Xenomorph can find you is that it has the ability to hear your heartbeat. There was a scene where Bishop, after he crawled through the tunnel to get to the colony transmitter, encountered one of the xenomorphs face to face, but it didn't notice him and went away because Bishop didn't have a heartbeat.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back