Clear Thermo Plastic?

Chris Shirrell

I am drawing up plans for a future project where I want to try doing some vacuum forming. I want to make a round fishbowl like space helmet similar to mars attacks. So my question is does anyone know if there are clear sheets of thermo plastic out there?
I found this on amazon:
FLEXIBLE TRANSLUCENT POLYETHYLENE PLASTIC SHEET 24"x24"x1/25"thk STENCIL: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

But it looks rather milky. Would like to get something more clear. Of course then there is the issue of getting the dimensions I want as I want it to be a bit over sized.

Here is a sketch of what I was thinking. spaceman.jpg

Hey Chris,

You would be looking for clear copolyester (PET G is the common name of it). It comes in various thicknesses and can readily be heat formed. For a clear helmet with any strength to it, I would recommend using .030 or above for the thickness. Any good industrial supplier like Sabic or Eastman Kodak should have it.

I am drawing up plans for a future project where I want to try doing some vacuum forming. I want to make a round fishbowl like space helmet similar to mars attacks. So my question is does anyone know if there are clear sheets of thermo plastic out there?
I found this on amazon:
FLEXIBLE TRANSLUCENT POLYETHYLENE PLASTIC SHEET 24"x24"x1/25"thk STENCIL: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

But it looks rather milky. Would like to get something more clear. Of course then there is the issue of getting the dimensions I want as I want it to be a bit over sized.

Here is a sketch of what I was thinking.View attachment 244668

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back