Custom MYST Linking Book

seatreader

So I recently purchased a MYST Journal from Geekify and have decided to turn it into a full replica of the linking book from MYST. The basis is that the D'ni people could write worlds, called "Ages" into books and essentially write them into being. It was known as "The Art" and while it's mentioned in the Myst games, it's never really been fleshed out. What I'm planning on doing is a very simple mod - embedding an ipod touch (Small size + Good video quality + Myst on iOs) into the front half of the book, and in the back, I'll be physically "writing" the age as it would have been in the game. Would love any advice on the matter and comments!

Here is the game version of the book:
myst_hd___myst_linking_book_closed_by_piththeexplorer-d5a2kui.jpg

The book, straight from the shop:
A1EM0y8.jpgWEKAL0N.jpg

What I'm going to start with first is going to be weathering some of the pages (the first two for the screen, and then the back, along with the edges of the screen section) so I would love any advice that anyone has about weathering book pages gently. As well, I am going to be gluing some of the pages together and am not sure what the best adhesive would be. Any ideas?

MYST ! I like it !

It'll be tricky to age the pages of your book. There is a lot of methods to do it. In example, you can use tea or soy sauce or walnut stain or even a flame. 5 Ways to Make Paper Look Old - wikiHow

But it's easy if you've a page that's not attached to the book... Maybe you can ask on replica paper props on this forum.

To glue the pages together, the best way would be using some spray adhesive that'll not wet your pages or you'll have a really wavy book.

Make sure you're not gluing too many pages together or you'll not be able to open it correctly and you'll pull on the attachment of your paper. The best way to avoid it is to let only the cover free and glue all the other pages so it's in one block.

Try to do it on an other book before doing it on this one.

I'm also working on my own book but didn't finished it yet.

img_2019.jpg

Did you see this work ? A 'real' Myst book

Also, did you know that Cyan was planning a new game ? Obduction by Cyan, Inc. ? Kickstarter

Yeah, saw what he did, but it was a little grand for my purposes. All that I need to glue together is enough to house half the ipod touch, in two sections - so that it will open to be able to remove/charge it. I'd like to keep the back part open because I want to actually fill that with an in depth description of the age - but actually in D'ni script. Thanks for all the tips!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back