Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - The Bus

Forge

Hi,

Can someone help me identify the plane used at the AOS "The Bus". I'm fairly certain it's a kit bash itself but
would like to know what the base model is, thanks.

Shield616.png

I think it is all CGI, as far as a starting point for it I'd guess a C17 for the fuselage and the wings. It looks like they added a bulge over the cockpit and running back to the forward wings. The forward wings, at a quick look, seem to be C17 as well, although they don't seem to have the droop of a C17.

nah... not C-17... its close. Vertical stabilizer is all wrong and the nose is too blunt on the 17... just my 2 cents. It's CGI

nah... not C-17... its close. Vertical stabilizer is all wrong and the nose is too blunt on the 17... just my 2 cents. It's CGI

As far as I saw, and while I'm not a zoomie, it's a C-17. Of course the Vertical Stabilizer is going to be different, they added a second set of wings and engines! Nose cones can be changed up to accommodate new avionics and such. Similar stuff happens in Aircraft all the time... and you're really only going to have one person fly the bus? last I checked the USAF says it takes at least 3 to run it!

http://shieldtv.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Jet.jpg - this really looks like a C-17...

Yes, it's CGI, but the base is a C-17. The cargo bay, where the vehicles are stored, looks almost 100% C-17. compare it to here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...aster_III_interior_2006-05-06_F-0158T-003.jpg

def a C-17 base if nothing else. Probably used a mockup that has been used for other movies or at least used it as the base.

Definitely "based" on a C-17 fellas. They did a fairly decent job of replicating the cargo bay as far as the aesthetics, the floor, walls and such. It also appears that they did their homework when designing the interior layout. Obviously they added the bump above the flight deck, but I think it would all fit. Take a look at this:
aqena8e9.jpg

Only glaring errors (besides the fact it's all completely FICTION) is the placement of the HVAC. That area is the extended range fuel tank which contains 60,000lbs of fuel. The HVAC "environmental pacs" are located in the left and right gear pods. And apparently they deleted the cargo door at the rear of the aircraft. That would really limit the height of anything loaded through the back of the plane.
Someone hurry and buy two of the Revell kits and build one of these!!!

And also: Per the AF "rule book", the C-17 does require 3 personnel to operate the aircraft. 2 pilots and a loadmaster (me :) ). But honestly, one trained pilot could handle everything with no issues. On a short day (<12 hours). With no cargo to offload/onload. And no airdrop. Or passengers. Or emergencies. (There's often only one crew member awake on long trips anyway)

Last edited:
AWESOME, great spec drawings, great find, even has details for the skylight, didn't know that was Coulson's office in there.
C17ldmstr, couldn't ask for a better source of info :)

More like a mix of C17 and C5

This explains the "hump". The dimension that the loadmaster talks about are right. In some episodes they show two cars parked side by side on the ramp, as well as the lab with an overhead level. This is a good place to give perspective. By this I would say more C5 by the size. Source: Army guy that jumps out of airplanes.

c5.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely "based" on a C-17 fellas. Someone hurry and buy two of the Revell kits and build one of these!!!

I'm on it, I'm on it!! :D Got the two kits, and in the research stages at the moment. Took the Revell plans and scaled them up to 1/144, then took the schematic of The Bus and scaled that up to match, taking into account the pointier nose. And lo and behold; they match very satisfyingly! I even dare say that the rear wings are the ends of the actual wings transposed.

Yes, the avionics hump on top of the tail has a different shape, as does the nose. Probably Stark Avionics packages. There are indeed some differences in window and door positions, but nothing that can't be fixed easily. The "difficult" bit to do will be the hump and the skylight, with interior. Difficult, but not impossible. Thanks C17ldmstr for the great info!

The 1/144 ramp will very comfortably hold a 1/144ish (Actually 1/160 aka N-scale) '62 Corvette convertible with room to spare for a SUV... So that matches the various screenshots.
IMG_3010_zps383f67ae.jpg

I think the lab and the "upstairs" should work as well. From the scenes I've seen of the upstairs interior I get the feeling it all fits, with the upstairs realistically low-ceilinged.
Bus_Int03_zpsb7943dde.png

Ofcourse it is all fantasy, so a little "willing suspension of disbelief" is required. But I will keep you folks posted as soon as my project kicks off for real!

Cheers,
Rob

Only been a member of this forum since today, and already loving the place! bobatrek managed to get me some great detail shots of his blueprints for The Bus, and I've spent the afternoon watching more episodes for screenshots. Looks like this project is on the roster soon! First need to clear my workbench, which means finishing at least 2 kits. So I think in a week or two...

Watch this space for a build report...

Rob

The wonderful world of Evilbay, C17ldmstr. N Scale 1 1962 Corvette by FNS | eBay

As I said, it's N-scale, which varies between 1/150 and 1/160, depending on where in the world you are. On a model it's 10% off at most, which translates to a difference less then 2 millimeters for this Corvette. I think I can live with that. Now I need to find rrrreally tiny blue leds to do one of the two Corvettes I have in hover mode...

Rob

I took a trip to the center of Athens today and managed to pick up only 1 C-17 (the 2nd will be in my hands by friday). Tried to also get the vette, but no luck. Now, time to get everything started... stay tuned. :D

I took a trip to the center of Athens today and managed to pick up only 1 C-17 (the 2nd will be in my hands by friday). Tried to also get the vette, but no luck. Now, time to get everything started... stay tuned. :D

Ebay for the Vette, Teddz! I think the guy I linked still has a few of them. Looking forward to following your build as well. Still looks like I'll be starting in a week or two.

Rob

Ebay for the Vette, Teddz! I think the guy I linked still has a few of them. Looking forward to following your build as well. Still looks like I'll be starting in a week or two.

Rob

Thanks Rob!!. Looking forward to yours as well. :)

Yea I found the vette via your link, thanks.

I thought about just getting one kit and casting the wings and 2 engines for the rear set of wings, but decided I could possibly use the leftover greeblies for the 1.20 meter Victory II Class Star Destroyer project I'm working on or some other future project.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back