Under the Red Hood -- First Build

statenjp

So after about a year of following various builds and checking on different designs and ideas I finally decided to start my first build. Hopefully to finish in time for Emerald City Comic Con at the end of March.

I decided to build Red Hood from the animated movie because i instantly loved teh Character after watching it and since have been reading all of Jason's back story, and all of the RHATO from New 52.

So I will preference this build with the understanding that my wife HATES costuming/cosplay and anything to do with the nature of it. So she refuses to let me do any of the build at home or spend any amount of money on building something that is "so ridiculously stupid", thus all of the building you will see has been doen while sitting at work in my office cubical between phones calls in my call center environment using what ever materials I have around or have been able to gather.

So first off I found a free Pep file for a NEW52 helmet on here awhiel back saved and built that (I've been building paper models for awhile so this was my first shot at costume building). This helmet after 4-5 days was my first step to relizing how hard this was really going to be. After I was finished I relized two things one I would never use this helmet I built because one it looked like CRAP (because of my building skill not the Filemaker) and 2nd it was far to small for my large head that I had to cut a slit from the rear all the way to the top of the crown just to fit it onmy head.

Thus I decided to buy my first Helmet, and decided then that I was going to go with the far simlier looking Animated helmet style from the movie. If you're asking how I'm going to BUY a $200+ helmet when I can't spend the money to build one. Two Words "Christmas Present" (from my parents who are very supportive of my craft).

So after I concluded what to do for my helmet centerpiece it was a small matter of gathering the rest of the materials. Jacket - Check. I had one that I had in storage because it was worn and a little tattered from year of abuse that worked out perfect for this. Pants and Boots -- Check. Easy to get ahold of because I was a Police Cadet and these were used in all our training. My dad bought me a Long sleeve grey Under Armor shirt for my birthday, and a mask was generous given to me when I won a contest by a wonderful costume builder.

Gloves I still need to track down because I'm looking for a particular pair but I have a standard black lather pair if I'm unable to do so in time.

So now it was on to the accessories part. 2 guns 1 knife and my special gift.

For the guns I had a few I was trying out to see which felt best for the build After soem debate I settled on some army ones that I colored black but oviously left the orage tips for costume. It was a tough debate between those and my Daisy BB gun handguns disassembled so the CO2 capsules wouldn't work in it anymore.

As for a knife I looked into two options either buying a cheap halloween knife and cutting it the way I wanted, or building one. I decided to build one from Cardbaord which actually turned out better then I imagined, even built a sheath from carboard too to hold it in on my leg (still need the leg straps for it.

Finally I did go out and buy myself a crowbar prop. Why? Because if I run into a Joker I want to be able to beat the hell out of him for what he did to me. (I'll keep it in my bag, just like he did in the movie)

So that's my build below is a pic of the props I have, the costume itself is currently at my parents because well if I dont have any of it in my home, then my wife will nto know about it.

Also my plan for how to wear this to the Convention. Easy, gather it all in a bag approx a week before the con drop it at my office and pickup/change at work. Afterall i only work about a half mile from the convention center anyway.

I'm really looking forward to this, and as I said, the Helmet is really the last part I have to finalize. Hopefully I have that done just shortly after Christmas this year.

Last edited:
So after much work I have gathered the last of my costume.

So here are some quick pictures to get an idea.
1653601_10152063308238962_836148108_n.jpg So this was my first test fit of the helmet and I was pleasantly surprised with the tight but good fit.

Boots.jpg These are the boots I plan on using, but I'm hoping to find a way to include the "grey plates" as seen in the movie

Helmet.jpg A more solo look at the helmet (courtesy of SnakePit Studios) Its a red Metallic Red by choice with mirrored lenses

Mask.jpg This Mask was courtesy of a contest win by Tiger Stone FX once again asked for a more metallic red color to give it a more subtle look instead of the bright red in the cartoon. (Then asked for the helmet to match for the same reason.

Tools.jpg Finally here we have my "tools" I changed out the pistols for a couple of spring loaded airsoft ones which looks really good and are 9" long which fit my larger hands a little more comfortably. My knife still made from cardboard. I'm going to get it painted before the con at the end of March but I still have no idea how to attach it to my leg. My Pistols will just rest in the small of my back instead of holstered style.
Then as can be seen on the right hanging there is my crowbar, I'm now debating actually bringing it because it will be more of a hassle to carry around then it might be worth for possibly one picture.

I do have a Red Hood Symbol cut out and it's big enough to attach to the shirt but I haven't found the right (or strong enough) magnets to keep it up on my chest where I want it, so I might still do some more digging for that too (thus turning it into a more hybrid version of B:UTRH animated style and New 52 style)

So that's my update, I am still looking for a pair of thinner gloves the ones I have are leather and look nice but they have fleece inside of them and look really bulky when holding my guns (they are more winter style then shooting style) I might look at some basic black running gloves to keep the streamlined look down.

If anyone is coming to Emerald City Comic Con (Seattle, WA) give me a shout out. I'm only going on Friday at this point, but it is my first year in costume so I'm going to experience it a little different then I have in years past I imagine.

if you're still looking for gloves, check these two out. I use the first one for my red hood, but i'm considering replacing them with the second one

Ironclad TOG-03-M Tac-Ops Gloves, Medium - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: SWAT Tactical Leather Gloves (Regular - Black) Medium - paintball gloves: Sports & Outdoors

I can link you to some more pieces that i use for mine if you wan (belt, armor, etc)

Really looking forward to seeing this!

I would love some advice on the belt armor and anyway to attach this damn Crafted sheath to my leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love some advice on the belt armor and anyway to attach this damn Crafted sheath to my leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't give you any advice on attaching the knife.. maybe steal the parts from a cheap gun holster?

Amazon.com: Ultimate Arms Gear Tactical Stealth Black 10 Pocket Utility Pouch Cartridge Ammo Tool Heavy Duty Cotton Canvas Belt: Sports & Outdoors

I'm wearing this as a sling belt, on top of a normal black leather belt. it looks alright, though its a bit loose on me. If you want, I can shoot you a picture of my set up in a bit

Hey, just found your thread, nice work!! I love that helmet. We will definitely have to get some pictures on Friday!

So went to ECCC and had a blast for my first cosplay Con. I was able to take some pictures with some great people and even ran into some other Red Hoods on Friday (sadly didnt' think to take pics with them after having a 10 min conversation about helmet tactics) Here a few pics I had taken while there. Nothing great and I realized after awhile I need to definetly prep for my shots a little better in the future because as time went on I got lazy (real quick) with my "poses"

IMG_1422.JPG.jpgMe and Yaya Han
IMG_1424.JPG.jpgMe and the Gotham Sirens
IMG_1425.JPG.jpgMy friend as the Joker (and was caught in a DC All access video too)
IMG_1429.JPG.jpg Me and Soni Aralynn
IMG_1430.JPG.jpg Me and MarieDoll

Next year I plan to take some time to practice posed shots so I can look back on the pics with a little more confidence, but hey for a first time cosplayer what do I really have to complain about?

My Joker friend and I plan to try and recreate some of the final scene in Under the Red Hood at Rose City Comic Con later this year if we both can make it (I've heard he had to shave his hair for a bet so I'm curious how that might work)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back