New 52 Red Hood Costume

Paji

I started building a killer croc costume but it soon became apparent that without a bigger budget (something that seems to have gone out the window with this) I was never going to get it where I wanted it. So I decided on Jason Todd aka Red Hood but specifically The New52 Red Hood based on Kenneth Rocaforts Art.
new52.jpg

So far I've bought a Leather Jacket which is almost Identical I just need to customize the cuffs. I got footless black tights because the trousers he wears are VERY tight. Ive painted a couple of toy guns and made belt and gun holsters from scratch.
IMG_3923.JPG
Im on making the body armor at the minute out of foam.
IMG_3933.JPG
Now..... The Helmet. ****** the Helmet. After 5 Pepakura builds I eventually got the right size. Almost. I still had to modify it by opening up the back and inserting panels so it would fit but not look oversized. I developed a hatred for pepakura that is only now beginning to subside. I also modifyed the eyes slightly.
IMG_3452.JPG
Now this being my first Pepakura build I had no idea that when i came to fibreglass it, paper wasnt the best thing to build with.
If youve ever built Pep stuff and fibreglassed youve probably learnt the same lesson I did. The sagging of the paper made the next stage far more difficult that i belive it wouldve been had I built out of card.
IMG_3460.JPGIMG_3488.JPG
Many hours of filling and sanding and filling and sanding followed.
IMG_3487.JPG
IMG_3521.JPG
But Im almost there now, added some details in when sanding. Im pretty happy with it.
IMG_3960.JPG
IMG_3961.JPG

Thanks, you don't realise how much time and effort goes into these builds until you do one properly yourself. Your kind comments are appreciated.

I can agree, I built a pep file for my red hood helmet (new 52 style), and after almost 4 days of trying to put together the helmet I found out the opening was FAR too small for my head (it might have fit my 5 y/o daughter). so I sliced it all the way up to the crown just to get it to fit over my head (and realizing how much larger I needed to make the whole helmet) then realized there is no way in hell I was going to try to finish that project at this time. So I cheated and will buy my first one (but will give full credit when I receive it as well as if anyone asks).

But I can't wait to see your finished project. I hope that someday I will have the drive to build my own helmet (maybe when I do the New 52 style one, but then again maybe I should start with the simpler Under the Red Hood Animated style one 0.o)

I couldn't advise on which would be simpler to do, there a few sharp line on this that were difficult but so was smoothing out the round.
Thanks for the kind words, they're encouraging they really are. I've just applied the first coat of filler primer now.
7u8u8age.jpg

Primer is a god send, or a ******* whichever way you look at it. Shows you all the bits you hoped weren't there. More filler, more sanding.
nepa9uqy.jpg

I loved Rocaforts pencils on New52 RedHood, the story isn't really engaging me ATM but I'll stick with it.
I made some quilted inserts for the jacket cuffs today, should get them sewn in later in the week.
9yvaduru.jpg

zu6ysy7a.jpg

I've also put the last coat of primer on the helmet today so should get 1 or 2 coats of Red on tonight.

I went ahead and put the armour plates on the undershirt even though I'd ran out of black spray paint. So these do need finishing off before I add the Bat symbol, but you get the idea.
hupu7uta.jpg

Can't wait to see how it turns out for you. Especially the helmet. I'm not sold on the facial features look of some of the new 52 art.....but the bodywork is cool.

I'm loving this! I just started my own RedHood Costume. Mask was tight on me when I first made it, and I was lucky to find a leather jacket that I'm going to use. Love the details in the red sleeves! I haven't been able to find any body armor that I like yet.. I want to see how yours turned out! did you glue those to the shirt? Got any new pics of that? that's the part I'm worried about now..

Diehlrs- Yeah the foam was just hot glued to the shirt. The helmet is tight to put on but loads of room inside once it's on.
Acesh007- it's just a tan leather bikers jacket I picked up on eBay.
Ljmvenoms- I'm sorry I can't remember where I got the helmet file from. Someone on twitter gave me a 4shared link to it months before the build.

The whole Cosplay costume is now on eBay http://bit.ly/1gQ5N5P

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back