Beginner Fiberglass Questions

A Cool Bro

Hello, I've been browsing and looking up info on fiberglass, resin, foam, and all the in-betweens for a month and a half now. So, I was hoping you guys could help save me from another month of research by answering a few questions I have.

I have two props: an eight foot lance and a three foot shield. My best option seems to be insulation foam and PVC pipe base with a fiberglass and resin shell. They both have moderate organic details. My questions are:

* Should I use just epoxy resin, seal the foam and use polyester resin, or some other approach? (Cost isn't a huge concern, but it's always nice to save a few dollars.)

* What is an optimal FIBERGLASS TYPE for an excessively large prop with moderate organic details? (Mat vs cloth and appropriate oz/yd range for something taking general wear-and-tear) - I was thinking 3 or 4 ounce cloth, but I have no idea if that would be able to conform to the details and I have no idea if I should use just one layer or even four.

* Will sanding the surface with 600 or 800 grit after final resin application allow me to apply primer and paint it in a typical manner? (The surface doesn't have to be 100% smooth, as these are rough bone textured items.)

Thank you very much in advance, and if you have any advice in regards to any of this (construction, paint, suppliers, etc), I wouldn't be avert to reading that as well. Once again, thanks a ton for looking at this and any possible pointers you guys have.
Weapon325.png

I've seen a few threads now where people looking to get into these kinds of projects post questions or look for advice, and to be honest, I don't think anyone cares. About 3 weeks ago I signed up here and made a post looking for some help and didn't find it, it seems like a lot of others are left hanging as well. My advice is to look on another site, sorry.

Hi cool,
I've been working with fibreglass for a wee while, but still learning :D
For a smooth finish, without a mould, you'll need to use topcoat, rather than gel coat.
It might take ages of finishing work.
You could use the pipe etc to make the mould, then use fibreglass rope , gel oat and resin to make the finished item.

I made a Davy Jones key earlier this year and imbedded a piece of copper wire in it yo give it strength.
Although smaller than a spear, it has the same basic process.

The best way to minimise finishing work , painting etc, is yo create a mould, then layer up using gel coat, then layers of smooth fibreglass cloth, then layers of heavier cloth.
Or why not use carbon fibre or Kevlar .... All available from your fibreglass supplier.

There's a couple of suppliers on line, who have instructional videos online which I consulted, and found useful..... Just can't remember who they were but I know one was in the north of England ( UK)

Hope this helps

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back