One Third Scale Han Solo in Carbonite

zenix

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Full size Han Solo in Carbonite replicas are hard to build. Building one takes up a ton of space, time, and lots of money. Even if you are successful in getting one of them together, many folks find it hard to convince their significant other that they should let them have it in the house. I really enjoyed making the 1:6th scale HiC prop, but they just don't give you that same feeling of awesomeness because at only 14" tall, it's not as impressive. There should be some sort of middle ground, somewhere between the 7' tall full size one, and the mini 14" one.

Using the same file that I 3d scanned from one of Stormrider's castings, I'll be able to 3d print the Han pieces 1:3 scale, and laser cut a box for assembly. Here's where I'm at so far:

I first sliced the scan into 3d printer-bite sized pieces,

sliced.png

and added support using Meshmixer's new autogenerative support feature
autosupport.png

and I've started printing them out
IMG_20131012_190711.jpg

and removed the snap-off supports
IMG_20131012_192140.jpg

The waist section is printing out now, and after that just the head, toes, and legs!

For the box, I modified my CNC routing files from the fullsize box to be laser-cuttable and fit on my laser cutting bed:

laser.png

Nothing too exciting, but I'm sure they'll look great once I'm done!

Last edited:
That's CHEAP! Man, I need to get a printer ASAP. Wish I had the money. I have a Zen CNC Mill that needs repairing at the moment, so as soon as I get my Chinese counterfeit stepper driver parts back from Alibaba, I'll at least have that up and going. :D What model of printer are making these with?

Haha. The bill is in there as a scaling reference. This is just a build thread. I'm making this on a home FDM style 3d printer.

I saw this piece in person - looks fantastic.
After looking at the in-progress photos above I have a question -
Why print in the upright orientation and the need for the new new hand supports?
Wouldn't it print well lying flat on its back without need for supports?
jus wondering

Thanks man.

More layers when printing upwards, so its better resolution. You have the most resolution when printing in the z direction.

Last edited:
I forgot about this project... I totally need to spend some more time on it and get it done!

I've decided to focus on this project and make it happen. The desktop prints I've done look really good, but I'm going to pony up and get a professional one done. stay tuned for updates, and subscribe to this thread!

Also, if you're in the bmore area, I'll be doing a talk/project debrief on April 21st at my hackerspace, all about the technical skills I learned and research I did to build a full size Han in Carbonite. More info here: http://www.meetup.com/BaltimoreNode/events/221681206/

It's here! Check out this print!

I used laser sintering 3D printer to have it made in nylon with very high detail.
IMG_20150430_121942689.jpgIMG_20150430_122839679.jpg
between a 1:1 and a 1:6 for scale

I had the toes done too but I don't have a picture of it with me. The next step is to finish the sanding to hide the build lines in the low sloped areas where they're slightly visible still. I'll be lasercutting a box for it using the same fullsize CNC files, modified for scale and for the lasercutter. Since it's smaller I'll be able to fit the whole front edge panel on one sheet.

I've got some 1:6 still. I'm gonna make the 1:3 mold this month

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back