THE NOSTROMO - 1:18 Scaled Interiors - 12/23 - UPDATED BUILDS AND MORE! p.6

sithfire30

It's been quite awhile since I posted last so decided best to begin a new thread. I've been involved with creating a 1:18 scale world of the original "truckers in space" along with interiors of their towing vehicle Nostromo. The figures are hand sculpted pieces, articulated, 1:18 scale - roughly the same size as your retail Star Wars or GI Joe figures. Comes with accessories and such - imagine a modern toy ALIEN line - that's what I'm creating. I never really planned to get into scratch building any of Nostromo's interior rooms, doors or corridors - I began by just simply creating a small dio that my finished figures could eventually be displayed with. I should have known better - I don't "just simply" do anything when it comes to projects like this. Ha! So instead of going over all that has been accomplished the past couple years, I will refer you to my FLICKR Photostream for all the ALIEN goodness to this point....with some ALIENS and ALIEN 3 thrown in :)

Alien 1979 - a set on Flickr

My latest work is creating the Nostromo's Main Air Lock door as seen in the film. I started with a foam core/matte board model to get the scale right.

NOSTROMO-MAIN-AIR-LOCK-paper-build_zps02a0ac40.jpg

Then for the meat of the project, I created the vectors in illustrator and sent them to a friend of mine to have the parts cut out...

NOSTROMO-MAIN-AIR-LOCK_zpsd3300e29.jpg

NOSTROMO-MAIN-AIR-LOCK-Laser_zps01c05bdc.jpg

Once the pieces were cut and delivered, I added sculptural details using Aves FIXIT epoxy. I added styrene tubes and sculpted details such as the locking mechanisms to the door as well as some sculpt work to the boarder. The deep recess of the door panels were partially filled with super sculpt before molding...

NOSTROMO-MAIN-AIR-LOCK-8_zps01c4f1ad.jpg

NOSTROMO-MAIN-AIR-LOCK-9_zps285ff687.jpg

Once the molds were made, I made a casting of the finished piece.

NOSTROMO-MAIN-AIR-LOCK-10_zps8aed2ba3.jpg

NOSTROMO-MAIN-AIR-LOCK-11_zpsa35b8dc1.jpg

The door contains both sides - interior and exterior. Below is an images of the exterior and the custom frame I am building that will hold the door into place.

NOSTROMO-MAIN-AIR-LOCK-7_zpsac813eea.jpg

I've also began working on the build to the interior compartment of the Main Air Lock. Images of that will be coming soon. I scratch build using sheet styrene, laser cut materials and coming soon - brass etched pieces (my first time). This work is "for the love of the hobby" at the moment but I can see where I may be selling kits sometime in the future so please let me know if you would be interested. Till then, thanks for taking a look! Much more on the way!!!!

NOSTROMO-CORRIDORS-4_zps9f53b221.jpg

Last edited:
Re: THE NOSTROMO - 1:18 Scaled Interiors

I've been following Dayton's progress on Facebook, and the attention to detail and faithfulness to the original sets is just mindblowing.

Be sure to check out the Flickr account - there's a semi-complete Nostromo bridge set there which is just stunning.

BRAVO! Subscribed!

:)

Last edited:

This is beautiful! I love that airlock door.

I have some HD screencaps on my blog, if that's of any use to you - you must have plenty already...

-MJ

I've been following Dayton's progress on Facebook, and the attention to detail and faithfulness to the original sets is just mindblowing.

Be sure to check out the Flickr account - there's a semi-complete Nostromo bridge set there which is just stunning.

BRAVO! Subscribed!

Thanks Skiffy! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Mike - I'll take any resource images I can find :)

This is beautiful! I love that airlock door.

I have some HD screencaps on my blog, if that's of any use to you - you must have plenty already...

-MJ

Quick update 10/12/13

Close to completing the styrene frame build for the walls of the inner compartment to the Main Air Lock. The inner compartment will be broken down into 4 parts: both walls, floor and ceiling. Once complete with frames, sculptural detailing will begin. The figures of Kane, Dallas and Lambert are also 1:18 scale and are works in progress. More to come!

NOSTROMO-MAIN-AIR-LOCK-12_zpsdc8e88ec.jpg

I can you are a real artist thats for sure.you also seem to have a different take than some.your characters look like who is being potrayed and at the same time look like something you might seee in an artist impression concept or even a stop motion film sequence.

The more I search through this forum the more amazed I am. I have GOT to go buy me some talent of my own. This is amazing!!!

Began scratch building the floor component of the main air lock - made with sheet styrene.

Floor-Grate-Air-Lock_zps369e388c.jpg

IMG_4842_zpsd0d2bbef.jpg

Additional details to be added to the floor but the bulk of the floor grate pattern is complete.

Attachments

• Floor-Grate-Air-Lock.jpg
    Floor-Grate-Air-Lock.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 445
  • IMG_4842.jpg
    IMG_4842.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 412

Here are my "Alien" tagged posts:

Alien | a fun blog

Love your spacesuited figures - they look great! Are they all sculpted from scratch? Is anything 3D printed?

-MJ

Thanks MJ - You know I have downloaded many of the images from your blog and have it in my favorites! :) These figures are being hand sculpted - nothing is 3D printed.

I am so admirative of your project, and follow it on facebook. Each new step is so perfect ! I started myself a few weeks ago a scratchbuilt nostromo bridge with cardboard ... http://www.therpf.com/f11/scratchbuilt-nostromo-bridge-195850/
so far from your highly detailed pieces but I have fun with it and I truly figure out the huge amount of time and work you spend on this project.
Fred

Love it to bits...beautiful work/details on the airlock for sure...I did the Nostromo landing gear years ago (Propsummit) and that airlock would be a nice addition to make a short film project. Keep up the good work!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back