Star Wars Merr Sonn Blaster Builds - Take 3

Country Paul

Sr Member
With the 3rd set of Doopydoos Blaster parts from my ESB Stunt build I decided to try a Merr Sonn

Like with my Weird ROTJ Blaster I didn't want to spend anything else so it had to be done with what I had laying around

I was originally going to use the upper from the ROTJ Blaster which I figured would do as close enough, but I spoke to Doopydoos & they were good enough to send me an extra ANH upper to use

obviously the parts I have found around the house won't be 100% accurate I'm just going for close enough :lol

so parts I'm using are

Doopydoos ANH Upper
Doopydoos ROTJ Lower
Doopydoos ANH Grill & unknown Grill
cable from a charger
x2 watch batteries
various washers
x2 Ethernet connectors
piece of PVC pipe & Cable tidy

Attachments

• IMG_5826.JPG
    IMG_5826.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_5888.JPG
    IMG_5888.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_5889.JPG
    IMG_5889.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_5901.JPG
    IMG_5901.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 265
  • IMG_6058.JPG
    IMG_6058.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_6059.JPG
    IMG_6059.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_6060.JPG
    IMG_6060.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_6089.JPG
    IMG_6089.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_6091.JPG
    IMG_6091.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_6090.JPG
    IMG_6090.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_6106.JPG
    IMG_6106.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_6107.JPG
    IMG_6107.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_6108.JPG
    IMG_6108.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Re: Doopydoos Merr Sonn Blaster Build

Got the Blaster primed, undercoated & painted satin black

the parts from Doppydoos were very good minimal clean up needed, just drilling out the trigger, filling a few tiny holes

I used some washers to make the Imperial Disk side greeblie

wasn't sure what to use for the right side greeblies but figured an Ethernet connector might look ok

I cut down 2 different ANH Grills for the right side & a piece of PVC pipe & ribbed tube for the left side

Just need to weather & add the coiled wire

Attachments

• IMG_6116.JPG
    IMG_6116.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_6117.JPG
    IMG_6117.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_6135.JPG
    IMG_6135.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6136.JPG
    IMG_6136.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6186.JPG
    IMG_6186.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_6187.JPG
    IMG_6187.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_6188.JPG
    IMG_6188.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6201.JPG
    IMG_6201.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_6202.JPG
    IMG_6202.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 139

Weathered the Blaster & tried to keep it pretty subtle (for me)

Got the coiled cable on, it's just the wire from an charger/Adapter I coiled it round a pen before gluing in place,

I'm not 100% on it to be honest the wire is a little thin & the coils a bit too big but it'll do for now & until I find something better

the whole blaster is far from screen accurate so I don't think I'll worry too much, I've not tried to add any T-Track/Antennas

Pretty pleased with how its turned out & I like how the greeblies have worked out :)

It's a step on from my first attempt at a Merr Sonn & not too bad for a spare parts blaster :lol

Attachments

• IMG_6225.JPG
    IMG_6225.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_6228.JPG
    IMG_6228.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_6230.JPG
    IMG_6230.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_6231.JPG
    IMG_6231.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6232.JPG
    IMG_6232.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6233.JPG
    IMG_6233.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_6234.JPG
    IMG_6234.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_6235.JPG
    IMG_6235.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_6236.JPG
    IMG_6236.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 148

I saw OdiWan72's Merr Sonn in his blaster thread & it made me want to go back & try again :lol

I liked my doopydoos one (pictured) but maybe I can do better (maybe not)

Even though the original was resin I'd really like to build one using a Denix rather than resin (just need to find another Denix)

started to look in my parts box to see what I've got laying around

i have my spare Alu FH from DEC cast run, I was hoping for a spare bull barrel but he didn't have any left so I may have to compromise & try to make one from what I have laying around, I've got some thick PVC pipe which may work, it's thick enough that I should be able to file down the underside, & the head of a broom handle which fits nicely into the FH :lol

I have some Tomtit parts that I should be able to use

I'll see if this gets anywhere

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    724.8 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    883.6 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    865.9 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 124
Re: Star Wars Doopydoos Merr Sonn Blaster Build

Decided to go for it & order another Denix today,

started working on the PVC bull barrel, lots more filing to do (would like to find a metal one though)

(need to work out how to move this over to the Star Wars section)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 138

Started to gather parts & greeblies together for this, some will be accurate some are just parts that I think will look ok,

this isn't the Denix I'm going to use (hopefully it'll be my GK some day) I've ordered another one for this but it'll be a week to 2 before I get it., am thinking I'll be painting the Mauser for this so it matches with the bull barrel.

I've ordered an imperial disc greeblie for the left side (rather than use washers again)

for now I've got some watch batteries & Ethernet connectors for the other greeblies (same as the Doopydoos) for now.

learnt a lesson about cutting the Tomtit cylinders :lol

I cut the first one top to bottom & it ended up wonky (& got scrapped) the next 2 I cut sideways along the seam & they came out nice & straight.

did some more work on the PVC bull barrel, from looking at pics I think it needs to be a touch longer than Han's blaster, I'm going to need to do a lot of filing down of the Mauser barrel when I get it (like I did with the ANH)

I've filed the bottom flat & hopefully it'll sit right, started to file in the 3 notches in the top, I'd prefer metal but at least the plastic is easy to work with, the various metal pipes I have the metal is to thin to file down the flat part

not sure about how I want to do the coiled wire yet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    958.1 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    921.7 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    980.9 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    714.1 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    816.9 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 115
Nice man! That's how you do it... ! Plastic is much easier to work too, and doesn't hurt as much if you F it up. ^_^

I still want to do a mere sonn too, but my last MGC will have to be my ROTJ han of accuracy. I think a Denix would be perfect for the Power 5. ^_^

Decided to go for it & order another Denix today,

started working on the PVC bull barrel, lots more filing to do (would like to find a metal one though)

(need to work out how to move this over to the Star Wars section)

I have a hunk of steel left from when I made the bull barrel for my ANH. I bought a 25cm piece of high-carbon pipe from a metal shop for $6.00. It turned out great.

No Progress - been away this weekend

I've got 4 new projects on the go, the Merr Sonn, Greedo Blaster, Greedo Killer & another E-11 kit

thought I could dip in & out of all of them but I'm pretty much at a standstill with all of them waiting for parts :lol

With the Merr Sonn I'm waiting for the Denix to arrive (I was quoted 10-14 days)

don't want to do too much on the bull barrel until I can do it in conjunction with the Mauser

I've got a few little bits I can be getting on with (& should probably start on the barrel of my Greedo blaster)

hopefully have some progress soon

Ok, so a little bit of progress is still progress right :lol

Still no Denix but I did get some Imperial discs, (to be honest I've got a few different ones coming that may be better or worse than this one)

can't wait for the Mauser to come so I can get started properly, from the sounds of it the place I ordered from doesn't exactly rush orders out (even for the prices they charge :lol)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    695 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
All my little builds & projects seem to have stalled while I wait for parts to arrive or paint to dry

denix still not here for my metal one so I started to wonder if I could improve my resin Merr Sonn at all just for fun,

I've got the badly cut Tomtit cylinders from above that'll do for this & a few other Tomtit sets I can use

Started by prizing off the parts & then had a go at filing the underside of the barrel flat, also filed down the hump on the sight

just need to mask up & try to paint the sanded parts

one thing I'm not sure about for either of these blasters is the positioning of the catamaran Tomtit part on top?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,015.8 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 126
The tomtit engine cover goes on top of the bolt at the ejection port with the long "arms" of the part facing the barrel

Markus

The Denix for my Merr Sonn arrived today :lol

I also touched up my resin one where I'd removed the greeblies (before I add the new ones) despite using the exact same paint the finish came out a lot shinier :facepalm

A bit of steel wool seems to have evened it out a bit now plus it's pretty much gonna all be covered by greeblies

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 145
Ok I've got a few different styles of Imperial discs 2 with notches & 1 without

not sure which to use or which if any is most accurate for this & my Greedo Blaster :lol

Also I'm thinking that the ejection port must be a bit lower on the Denix than on the MCG or real Mauser, the Tomtit engine cover has nothing to sit on so I'll have to add something between it & the bolt

need to get to work on the Denix & bull barrel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
Very nice built!

Are the first 5 pics in the first post in this thread of the screen used Merr Sonn please? I know of the first 2 partsofsw pics, but not sure about the other 3 with gray background.

Yes the 1st 5 pics are of the original prop, 2 are taken from POSW like you say the other 3 are from the promo pics of leia holding a Merr Sonn

Ok I've got a few different styles of Imperial discs 2 with notches & 1 without

not sure which to use or which if any is most accurate for this & my Greedo Blaster :lol

Also I'm thinking that the ejection port must be a bit lower on the Denix than on the MCG or real Mauser, the Tomtit engine cover has nothing to sit on so I'll have to add something between it & the bolt

need to get to work on the Denix & bull barrel

The disc in the middle is correct for both, the MerrSonn and the GreedoBlaster (even if you can´t make out, if this had the notch or not).
What is the source of these discs...Fenixprops/ Evolution Props?

Markus

Thanks Markus,

the disc on the left is from Gav (mojo fett) the other 2 are from fenixprops

Ive got 2 of each so if I use the correct ones on the 2 Merr Sonn's I'll have to use incorrect on the Greedo blaster or visa versa :lol

OR you simply get a set of correct ones via ebay...you´ll need these on quite a few other builds ;)

Markus

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back