Lucifer Paradise Lost

Hi there,
So Halloween is coming up and I thought of doing a costume that was an interesting take on a common theme. Things like zombies, vampires etc. have been done to death in all interpretations, so the Devil was my choice, and what better interpretation than Milton's, from the epic poem Paradise lost. More specifically, I'm interested in using the french artist Gustave Dore's illustrations of Satan as the basis for this costume.
View attachment 241504
The main parts of this costume would be the wings, the romanesque chest plate, and the cape/toga. I might add a spear if I have time/energy.

The Wings
View attachment 241505
Instead of the leathery wings in some of Dore's etchings (before the fall) I mean to create feathered wings, non articulated in white/grey. I could make the feathers out of paper, or real feathers if I could source enough, and the frame from foam, but this is the most difficult part of the costume for me. Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

The Chestplate
I'm thinking the easiest way of creating the chestplate is just to buy one from the internets, as they seem broadly available as moulded plastic. I would probably paint it, but any other suggestions that might reduce cost or significantly increase cool-factor would be great. I'd probably use the chestplate as a harness for the wing frame.
satan-shown-as-the-fallen-angel-after-having-been-smitten.jpg$(KGrHqJ,!qgFD+gGjRFCBR!ZKYBiL!~~60_12.JPG

The Cape
Probably the easiest part of the costume, a large red or white sheet will do here, cut down to size and appropriately hemmed. For footware, roman sandals aren't difficult to find.
480993_10200635400076314_1788694147_n.jpg

So, is this feasible in the next 20 days? I have quite a bit of free time, but not much disposable cash, so I'm going to try to keep the costs to a minimum.

P.S. Here's a few more images as reference.
satan-in-council.jpgGustave%u00252BDore%u00252BParadise%u00252BLost%u00252B2.jpgsatan-in-paradise.jpgabdiel-and-satan.jpg

Make the "feathers out of cardboard, and some out of cardstock, that'll give an odd dimension of depth! Can you ballpark your budget for us? Also, you can get the cheap pressed plastic armor from any costume store for like 5 bucks for a chest plate.

You can hit up a second hand store (goodwill, value village, etc...) and get some large amounts of fabric remnants to make the fabric parts. Lastly I would use a wood fencing post, the thin slat, untreated kind. should be about four feet long, 2 inches wide, and about a 1/4 of an inch thick. You can shave the edges doun to look more sharp, sand it like a champ, and then give it a good bath in Elmer/PVA glue the cover the rough surfaces. then lightly sand that and spray paint it metallic silver or chrome and you've got a cheap sword blade. how you do the hilt is up to you, lots of ways to play that game.

Hope this helps-
CHEERS!

The cape of robe of the person in the right foreground reminds me of Virgil from Dante's The Devine Comedy. Still nice

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back