Knight armour pepakura?

Shmwe Shmwe

Hey RPF-ers!

I'm currently trying to build an ark angel sort of costume inspired by Azrael, using stainless steel for the armour. At the moment I have the template for the gauntlet, but I'm having trouble finding templates for other pieces (I'm going to do the gauntlets, shoulders, boots and hip guards)
I've looked at quite a few armour websites and none of them have came up with anything very fitting, so I was wondering if you lovely people knew of any places with pepakura of knights armour I could use as templates?

Thanks in advance chaps :)

Hey RPF-ers!

I'm currently trying to build an ark angel sort of costume inspired by Azrael, using stainless steel for the armour. At the moment I have the template for the gauntlet, but I'm having trouble finding templates for other pieces (I'm going to do the gauntlets, shoulders, boots and hip guards)
I've looked at quite a few armour websites and none of them have came up with anything very fitting, so I was wondering if you lovely people knew of any places with pepakura of knights armour I could use as templates?

Thanks in advance chaps :)

Hey dude awesome Idea, but an armor like that... out of stainless steel ?
I'm sorry but I knocked out a witchking armor out of 2mm sheath metal and even that was tough.
And for things like azrael like "knifes" on the gauntlet... stuff like that will need to be forged.

Youtube men at arms, it has been a big help for mee.

Thanks for the reply man.

By inspired by Azrael I meant his overall look, with the tabard, hood and face mask but not his actual armour. Here's the gauntlets I'm using How to Make a Gauntlet Armor Tutorial - YouTube but I'll be adding brass accents and knuckle accents as opposed to hammering them in.
As for the metal I'll be using 0.9mm stainless steel at the very thickest, but hammering the sides to make it look thicker (as in that youtube video)

Do you mean Azrael from comics, Azrael from games or Azrael from Judeo-Christian mythology, or some other Azrael that I haven't thought or heard of? It isn't really clear as to what actual individual you're referring to, and it'd be a lot easier to find reference if we knew what to look for, since many of the characters bearing the name are armored.

Post a picture of what you're aiming for and it'd help tremendously.

Azrael is more of an inspiration than a direct theme, though I'm using the way his outfit is laid out in Arkham city (pictured). The overall look I'm going for is quite angular, sharp armour, but I'll be adding accents to give it a bit more "angelic" feel.
Here's an image of a finished gauntlet made from the same template I'm using, which should give you an idea of what kind of look I'm trying to go for 1377483738646.jpg 6502-Batman_Arkham_City_Series_3_Action_Figure_Azrael_17_cm.jpg

Try looking in "the armour archive". It is an archive of SCA steel armour patterns. From there try "The Tome" lots of how too's on armour leather work and costuming. Good luck on your quest.

I've already scoured the armour archive, but none of the pieces really fit with what I wanted. I was hoping someone might have made pep files of other armours, or even fictional armours I could use pieces from.

Depending on your approach you will most likely run into a classical problem when working with metal sheets, namely excess material when you manipulate more than one direction.

If you observe the finished gauntlet and the construction process closely you'll notice that he only ever bend the metal in one direction at a time. As the arm, hand and fingers are predominately tubular in shape this works well. He does some slight curving with a hammer and the knuckles are made using hammering, but mostly the gauntlet isn't made with extreme hammer forming.

1377483738646.jpg

As you plan to create the pauldrons (shoulder armor), greaves/sabbatons/poleyn (shin guards, boot and knee coverings respectively, I don't really know how far up the leg you want to go after all) and possibly faulds (I don't know what style of armor you want for the hips, but I approximated) you will need to create a "bowl" shape.

The reason this is problematic is because normally pepakura uses paper or cardstock as a base, after which you finish and hide the seams. This is not as easy in a metal surface.
You could either form it traditionally with a hammer and anvil setup, or you could cut the sheets, bend them into shape and weld the corners shut.

Here's the layout as I see it. Red lines are folding edges where you will either need to hammer it or weld to make the finished shape, and the blue arrows are what you can bend individually into shape. The question marks and arrows point out where the armor is rounded or otherwise shaped in two directions at once, making pepakura technique pretty much impossible without welding.
6502-Batman_Arkham_City_Series_3_Action_Figure_Azrael_17_cm_arrows.jpg

The top of the left pauldron, the entire right pauldron, the poleyn (kneecaps) and the plate on the back of the hand are all variations on "bowl shapes" which will prove somewhat problematic.

The sectioned arm part of the gauntlet could be made separately and mounted with a curving effect. Same with the lower parts of the pauldron, but the topmost part is "bowled" and has to be welded or hammered.
The right pauldron is a bowl that pretty much needs to be hammered, but you might not want that part at all so ignore it at will.

The poleyns could probably be made separately and mounted on a boiled or wetformed leather backing, but you still need to create the bowls here.

As you mentioned hammering the edges to simulate thickness I take it you have some equipment to do that, but in that case I wonder if you will achieve a quicker and better result just hammering the bowls into shape without the pepakura technique at all.

Here's another site that might have some good tips, as well as progress pictures in forging a full armor set.
http://www.armourdesign.dial.pipex.com/projb.htm

Wow Froggie, thank you so much for all the awesome info :D

First off I'm not making Azrael's actual armour, I'm just using that as an overall theme, I'll be doing my own armour (mainly from random bits I like cobbled together, like those gauntlets)

As for the issues of working with sheet metal, one of the things I'm hoping to do is keep all of the armour very angular, to ease working with it and to give it a slightly more impressive look, all be it less physically impractical. In any situation I can I'm also going to try and avoid doming anything, and instead go for segmented sections with curves, the predator shoulder plates are a good example of this.Shoulder-Armour.jpg

So far the only piece that really worries me are the toe caps of the sabatons, but if all else fails that could be one part were doming is the only option

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back