1/50 scale Planet Express Ship, Futurama

I saw the thread title and immediately thought, "oh hey, I wonder how this will compare to Volpin's progress." Then I noticed the username.

She's looking spectacular! :thumbsup

Skyhook does a 10" kit but this scale is more up my alley and it's beautiful work to boot. Nice!

Looking really nice! Do you know if the bottom part of the staircase fits properly into the recess of the fuselage for the stair?

What sort of mix of techniques did you use for this, i.e. free form modelling with conventional tools/laser cutting/3d printing?
It looks really nice by the way, very authentic to the ship on screen.

How about tackling the Chitauri Rifle from Avengers Assemble next? :D

Looking really nice! Do you know if the bottom part of the staircase fits properly into the recess of the fuselage for the stair?

When I make the kits I'll be selling them in 2 varieties: Landing gear down and landing gear up. If you choose the "up" version it will come with 3 plugs that insert into the appropriate recesses and sit flush.

The bottom of the stair and landing struts right now are close, but not perfect. Thing is, if you pushed the stairs into the body of the ship they'd poke out the top or block the bay doors, depending on orientation.

- - - Updated - - -

What sort of mix of techniques did you use for this, i.e. free form modelling with conventional tools/laser cutting/3d printing?
It looks really nice by the way, very authentic to the ship on screen.

How about tackling the Chitauri Rifle from Avengers Assemble next? :D

You can check out more pics of the build here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/volpinprops/sets/72157634588890148/

Mostly it's all free form. Lots of sanding, time with calipers and a contour gauge. All round parts were turned from resin blanks by hand. I do tend to use the laser cutter whenever I can, but this project is so organic there hasn't been much use for it outside of the front stair/landing strut.

Not sure I'm familiar with the rifle, but my schedule is booked solid well into 2014 right now!

Thing is, if you pushed the stairs into the body of the ship they'd poke out the top or block the bay doors, depending on orientation.

I can think of more than one way to make the stairs retractable and work properly. Can't wait for a kit, and try it out!

my contribution:
PElogoship.pngOElogo.png

Moldmaking in progress! Got the main hull finished but there's small spot (about 3mm) where the silicone didn't cure under 2 of the view holes on the port side. Really nothing that 30 seconds of sanding won't fix, but annoying all the same. Still, I'm happy with the results.

10369684363_9dd4949022_c.jpg

10369488016_e2d3dfe67d_c.jpg

10369673183_ccd3b29e3d_c.jpg

10430850125_fea18834d5_c.jpg

Other molds done are the landing struts and bay doors, as well as engine. Haven't gotten a chance to do test pulls on these yet, soon though.

10460049956_724fb51d1e_c.jpg

10460227723_929cc86df3_c.jpg

10460047306_8216ac5652_c.jpg

Fin molds are all that's left, then I can pull some test castings. Should have a complete resin copy in a few days.

OOOOOO I'm in for both flavors! You just ticked something off my very long "one day I want to make this" to-do list!! Beautiful and CLEAN work! Are you rotocasting?

Are you rotocasting?

Hand slush, it's a workout with these molds but the results are good! Total body is 34oz of resin which gives me a pretty consistent 3/16" coverage all the way around. The nose is pretty thick but it's tough to avoid that with a narrow point like that. Should make illumination much easier.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back