1/50 scale Planet Express Ship, Futurama

Volpin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I've never built any ships or models before, at least not from scratch. My typical fare is weapons and armor but I have always been a fan of Futurama and I figured it was high time someone sat down and cranked out a PlanEx model.

I'm pretty well into the build now and so far I've been incorporating my techniques from space gun projects into this ship. Most have worked out well and the project has definitely taught me a few things about fine details and symmetry. I'll try to skip some of the boring stuff so here's a couple pics of where the project sits as of this moment:

10103487394_3c0543b03d_b.jpg

10103568306_482010112c_b.jpg

It should go under rubber by the end of this week, barring any major crap-ups.

The main body is mostly urethane foam, MDF and bondo. Lots of time spent sanding with a contour gauge.

9259702892_4d44057c57_b.jpg

9708155627_c1f8e26a33_b.jpg

Underside has recessed details for bay doors, landing gear, and front strut staircase

9711393222_4c7b76e79d_b.jpg

9398655660_c97fa99877_b.jpg

Stairs are my only indication of scale on this thing. Taking an average step height of 7.75", the steps on this project are .15" which works out to a wonderfully round 1/50 scale.

Windows all have deep recesses in case people want to add clear panels for illumination. The eventual kit I make will come with 8 plugs for these portholes - that should make painting the recessed panel easier. Just paint the plug and drop it in!

9939672965_bb4753089b_b.jpg

Rear engines will also be packed with LEDs. Tubes are just wide enough for a 5mm LED.

10103494794_5ce79aee9a_b.jpg

More updates as they happen!

such a great build! really looking forward to seeing the final results its going to look insane with lights for sure

Amazing. I'd kill for a kit. (Actually, I would have to kill for it as I'm flat skint!)

Beautiful work!

-Grimm
(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD)

Very cool indeed! Love the show and the ship. What's the overall length? Looks pretty big.

Beautiful, I can't wait for a kit of this to be made.

The whole thing has been built with ease-of-kit-construction in mind. Big mounting tabs for all the fins and turret, and the body will be slush cast for ease of electronic installation.

9711385422_fed03bb235_b.jpg

Very cool indeed! Love the show and the ship. What's the overall length? Looks pretty big.

Nose to tip of rear fin is 24" long. Main body itself is around 18"

Wow! That's excellent. I love Futurama, and that model looks perfect.
It'll look great after being painted in what Leela called, "electric mucus." :D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back