HeroQuest board game (1989)

Sandman0077

Sr Member
Has anyone here played this before? I am looking to get into some cool board games, but I feel like Dungeons and Dragons may be too in depth for me to start with because there's so many different versions.

I ran across this one and it seems pretty cool due to the large game board and miniatures that you can set up. Lots of expansions from what I have read, so it should last my wife and I for awhile, right?

I've never played a game with the 'Game Master' role in it, so this will be a totally new experience for me. Just wanted to see what you guys thought of it?

heroquest_cover.jpg

02.jpg

HeroQuest+Dungeons.jpg

Last edited:
My uncle got that for me back in the day. Only problem, I am an only child and we lived in the sticks with no other kids around. Wasn't a fun game played by ones self.

DON'T PLAY IT!! Have you not seen this thread!!!
http://www.therpf.com/f12/60-minutes-1985-dungeons-dragons-causes-kids-commit-suicide-murder-196869/
It's the devils tool i tell you!!!:darnkids

'Invalid Thread' lol

My uncle got that for me back in the day. Only problem, I am an only child and we lived in the sticks with no other kids around. Wasn't a fun game played by ones self.

I had a brother and sister but they would have never played with me. It would be my wife and I, and possibly our son in a few years. I just like that there is an actual board, unlike D&D that is paper based (right?)

I wanted to get the Mouse Guard board game but it looks paper based as well, which is a shame because that was a fantastic comic!

I didn't play this, but did play the computer game whose title was later changed to Quest for Glory after the board game makers threatened to sue Sierra-On-Line. :)

I'm deciding between this and a few others like Decent and Warhammer Quest. I need to sit down and get some side by side comparisons going.

Ha I still own this game

I'm gonna have to one-up you, because I have two sets =D
Best part about this is that at least in Finland, complete sets are rare and expensive, up from 100€ to as high as 300. And I got mine for less than 20 =D (I got the first, completely mint for 1€(!) and a second non-perfect but still in overall good condition for 14€).

Gotta say it's still one of my favourite boardgames, and I still play it every now and then even though me&the group I play tabletops with have moved on to Pathfinder.

_A

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to one-up you, because I have two sets =D
Best part about this is that at least in Finland, complete sets are rare and expensive, up from 100€ to as high as 300. And I got mine for less than 20 =D (I got the first, completely mint for 1€(!) and a second non-perfect but still in overall good condition for 14€).

Gotta say it's still one of my favourite boardgames, and I still play it every now and then even though me&the group I play tabletops with have moved on to Pathfinder.

_A

_A
LOL I got this as a Christmas gift from my parents back in the day. This and Battle Masters

I've still got a box containing one whole set, plus pieces (and a board) from another, somewhere. I also got an expansion set that barely got used because it stopped being cool to play around the time I got it (at least among the kids I knew back then)

Well I think I've decided on getting both HeroQuest and Mice & Mystics (I love the Mouse Guard comics, seems similar). Both seem appealing and I like that they have actual boards and pieces.

I've never played D&D before but I don't think I can handle the whole process of inventing characters and all that as my first real push into board games. Plus, it's just my wife and I for now, hopefully our son when he's old enough.

Heroquest is a fantastic game. I've owned two copies of the base/original game. The first one i received as a birthday gift when i was a kid. I immediately painted all the figures (in testers paint with little or no primer) and got all my friends in the small town i was in playing it. Lots of great memories. Several years ago I was browsing Ebay and found a new in box and factory sealed (verified) version just over 100 bucks. Bought it immediately.

It's a fun game and not too difficult. I never got the expansions though I kinda wish I did.

A newer game you may want to check out would be "Descent: Journeys..." Which can be found here Amazon.com: Descent: Journeys in The Dark Second Edition Board Game: Toys & Games. This is the second edition and purists will tell you the 1st edition is the way to go but this just improved on an already great game if you ask me.

Happy gaming!

I don't think or know if mine is complete but what I do have I'll just give you if you cover the shipping, I'll scrap the box since it's pretty rough. Shoot me a pm

I just did a quick glance and it only looks like it's missing the main Gargoyle but the rest is pretty solid . Even have almost a whole pack of the character sheets

Last edited:
Awesome! I still have mine. I have a couple of the expansions too. I painted all of my pieces and even created quite a few of my own quests. I had to beg my friends to play it with me though.
I can't wait for my son to get old enough to play. I even took pieces from an other similar game and created character sheets and stuff for em. I loved playing it when my friends reluctantly agreed. :)

it is a super watered down easy to play version of D&D. that's why i got into it. i tried D&D, but as a kid i wanted to see the characters and environments.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back