"New" pepakura trick using Silhouette cameo and adhesive paper rolls

Kormier

Hi guys;

I want to share something that I recently started doing to help speed up my IM foam build.

Before I started to do this, these are the steps that I would normally follow to create a foam piece:
1- scale the model in pepakura
2- print the pepakura pieces on card stock
3- cut each piece out of the card stock (either manually or with the Silhouette cameo)
4- Trace each piece on the foam
5- Cut each pieces of foam
6- assemble

The new method makes use of the adhesive paper to essentially eliminates the need to cut the cardstock and trace each piece on the foam (which is what I hate the most).

This is what I have been doing:
1- scale the model in pepakura
2- re-arrange all the pieces in pepakura designer into one long banner-like sheet
3- export from Pepakura to the Silhouette Cameo software
4- Let the Cameo cut all your pieces
5- Peel your pieces and stick the on the foam
6- Cut your foam pieces by following the outline of your adhesive paper piece.
7- Start assembling.

I put together a quick video showing how I do it. I used the IM Mark VII shin as an example. This part does not have any pieces that need to be flipped over to be duplicated but if you do have a model where you need to replicate a mirror image of a piece all you have to do is cut your first piece, peel off the adhesive paper (carefully) and re-affix to a second piece of foam.

I hope this will make more sense once you look at the video... it's kind of hard to explain.

Feel free to ask any questions :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
The adhesive on the paper is quite good so it's possible to re-use them multiple times if you're careful enough when peeling them off.

So, do you do this on "mactac" vinyl covering or is it specialty for the Cameo?

Btw love your avtar! I'm a huge Goldorak fan...

Bonne idee, either way!

No I just used generic adhesive paper rolls from the dollar store. The vinyl and paper specifically made for the Silhouette Cameo is much more expansive and not as long. I have not tried the mactac covering (assuming that you refer to the type of vinyl that you would use to protect books?) but it should also work.

On another related topic, I noticed that Michael's stores now have Silhouette Cameo in stock; so if you get their App and wait until you get the 40% discount coupon on any one item it would be very affordable if you are on a budget.

Why do you guys have to keep showing me cool stuff that would make my life easier and more productive with things I don't own at the end of the year when I don't have any money to buy more things ?

Dear Santa...I know I haven't been good, but I still want ALL.OF.THE.THINGS!

Great idea BTW! (still kinda hate you for showing me how I could spend more time finishing, and less time just getting FRAKKING started.../sadface...If anyone needs me, I'll be the guy over here without a 3D printer, a Cameo, or a Laser table...) ;)

I am working on another video that will show the process in more details for more complex pieces. Stay tuned! :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back