Helmet and costume build - first Pep ever!

Red paint and weathering... more budget build madness!

Thanks guys! The all black was pretty sweet, but I had to get some more color on there.

Got my Rustoleum 2x coverage Colonial Red, taped my lines and sprayed 2 coats:

IMG_1046_zps6d1440cd.jpg

Came out pretty good! I touched up some areas where the red ran through tape-lines with more black via a small brush, and then hit those now-shiny areas along with the rest of the helm using some more fine steel wool. Got the visor popped back in and I'll say its looking looking pretty good for a home-brew project:

IMG_1047_zpsb61df750.jpg

Here's some more of that Nerf Retaliator... I mean, "Lawgiver"

I disassembled the gun prior, removed the air restrictor while I was in there, primed and painted everything and just got it back together. The "LED readout" is a quickie Photoshop printout with some clear plastic overlaid on top. Unfortunately the clear tape I used is visible on the underside of the plastic, but I'm not going to redo it, its good enough for this guy. I still need to come up with a holster!

IMG_1048_zps4cb28185.jpg

More helm:

IMG_1049_zpse37cdc35.jpg

IMG_1050_zps20beaf57.jpg

My badge came out pretty good! I rubbed it with some steel wool to give it a worn look. Here it is compared to my belt buckle (bought on E-Bay) and a Dredd badge promo pin. I am re-making my armor in black foam board, the foam I coated with spray rubber was fine however the glue holding the pieces together was not up to the task and fell apart.

IMG_1051_zps376b6931.jpg

IMG_1052_zpsb1ae594e.jpg

IMG_1053_zpsa0669cc3.jpg

Starting my badge for the helmet, cut out some cardboard pieces, glued, resin coated, primed and gold spray:

IMG_1058_zpsafe1f087.jpg

Last set for now, I busted out some metallic silver and a brush, started my weathering:

IMG_1054_zps04b31776.jpg

IMG_1055_zps51613180.jpg

IMG_1057_zps0a85f490.jpg

Did some weathering on that Lawgiver too:

IMG_1059_zps450a1a3c.jpg

IMG_1060_zps6d71f04e.jpg

Can't wait to get this finalized for a party this weekend! Cheers all.

Helmet is DONE, finally some decent pics!

Got my helmet badge good-enough for my taste, attached it this morning and voila! I used a camera @ work so it will show better than my old iPhone I've been using here.

Helmet_done_001_zps55f10dc0.jpg

Helmet_done_002_zpsa9d44b5b.jpg

Helmet_done_003_zpsdd8f4224.jpg

Helmet_done_004_zps5fcd8472.jpg

Helmet_done_005_zps4be81413.jpg

Helmet_done_006_zps41d8aa7f.jpg

Helmet_done_007_zps27c5c852.jpg

^^Showing off my most hated spot, slight run in the red, I didn't care enough though to sand it down and re-do it, but it will bug me.

Helmet_done_008_zps2d347030.jpg

Helmet_done_009_zps9a780539.jpg

Here is the inner padding and visor attachment points:

Helmet_done_010_zpsdd4e1bcb.jpg

Working on knocking out the remaining costume pieces in time for the weekend. Perfectly content to answer Trick'r'treaters tomorrow with the helmet and frowny face! :thumbsup

Ooh awesome! Great work :) I'm just now sanding the bondo on my helmet. Lol and I gotta be done by tomorrow in time for my work party lol ill post pics on my thread once I'm finished.

Yep! Ran out of bondo...money...time lol my helmet looks like crap but it should get me through today, I'll fix it up later. Since I start work at 4am, in about 2 hours. Just enough time to start putting the suit together...I think. :wacko

OMG.... Well I hope you managed to put something together in those 2 hours!!! Enjoy what you have and improve it later!
Have fun!

Helmet looks great! I hope mine comes out as well as yours. Will have to look for that padding, was going to use cuts of foam, but that stuff looks perfect.

Halloween SUCCESS

A mad dash to the end!

I stayed up until almost 2am the night before re-cutting all armor pieces out of foam, including the eagle for the right shoulder pauldron and then spraying all foam panels with Plasti-dip. Grabbed some cheap (2.99 a pair, 2 pairs) Adidas shin pads and Plasti-dipped those- 1 pair attaching to the top of my vest and the lower strap to my bicep, sufficing for my shoulder and bicep armor, and the other 2 pads stayed all black and were used on my forearms.

I slapped together a thigh holster for my Lawgiver, using a spare rifle sling plus black foamboard.. quick and dirty, I even duct-taped it together and Plasti-dipped that whole piece as well! That was a fine idea, the holster worked great all night and looked the part too! Belt wise, I used a cheap belt from a policeman's costume, with handcuffs and baton, and attached the pockets I had removed from my vest beforehand (1 holding a spare magazine for my Nerf Lawgiver, the second the handcuffs)

Plasti-dip worked awesome! I sprayed a second quick coat in the morning on everything, and in the afternoon painted the right shoulder eagle and left shoulder stripes with a brush and the same gold I used on badges, looked great! Borrowed a pair of motocross boots to complete the look.

The adhesive I used to hold down my armor panels failed miserably however - some liquid-stitch stuff - luckily my friend had a hot-glue gun handy, a couple minutes before more guests arrived and I had everything nice and solid! Should have bought a hot-glue gun from the start, that is where it's at!!

Anyways, here are some quick party pics, the costume was a hit! Won the best costume award @ the party, not going to complain there!

Dredd party1.jpg Dredd party2.jpg 1385229_10153430684700201_883857460_n.jpg

Thanks for following and all the encouragement! Hope I helped inspire somebody else! I had a lot of fun and will probably tune-up my armor for the future, maybe attending a convention somewhere, etc.

Cheers!

OMG.... Well I hope you managed to put something together in those 2 hours!!! Enjoy what you have and improve it later!
Have fun!

Totally forgot about posting pictures . My dredd helmet turned out very nicely, along with my Suit. Unfortunately I only took one picture, image.jpg I was stopped by several people on my way to a house party that night, needless to say, a few ladies wanted to be..f... "Judged". Ill have to take more pictures when I have a chance, since Dredd, I've worked on 2 other projects, The Dark Knight image.jpgimage.jpg, and a Rebel trooper. This year it will be Cobra Commander.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back