Solved !!: Coloring Facial Hair With Make-up

James Kenobi 1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A few years ago I wore my 'Old Ben' costume and I colored my hair and beard but I was never completely happy and I could use some help.

For my hair I used a can of white hair spray from the Halloween store and that was fine.

On my beard I used make-up to dry brush the white color and it looked fine but I wasn't happy and I feel it's because I don't know enough about make-up.

I remember there was 'grease' make-up and 'cream' make-up. I chose grease. It was easy to brush on but after 6-7 hours of wearing it if I touched it the make-up was still wet, it never dried. I was expecting it to have dried to the touch.

Should I have used talcum powder or baby powder on top to 'set' the make-up? Or does it never dry on hair?

Should I have used cream make-up, or something else completely ?

Any help or advice would be great, thanks :)

Last edited:
Re: Help: Coloring Facial Hair With Make-up

That stuff looks awesome but it's out of my price range right now (on my wish list !).

Any OTC make-ups I could try?

Does using powder on top help at all? I've seen/read about costumers using powder over body paint to help it stay on and keep from rubbing off to the touch.

1. You can use the white hair spray color on your beard too.

2. Go to a local beauty college or hairstyling salon and have them bleach/color your beard. It will last long but you will have to let it grow out or shave to get rid of the color. Beards grow quick! :D

3. Get old...like me. It will get gray/white all on its own. Kids will accelerate the process. :darnkids

Good Luck!

I ended up using the white hair spray on my beard instead of the make-up and it worked great. My beard was dry to the touch and didn't rub off on the inside of my hood.

Started with:
49402811189508-vi.jpg

Ended with:
03402810783185-vi.jpg

04402810784124-vi.jpg

10402810790870-vi.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I should add, I didn't spray it on my beard. I sprayed into the cap and used a brush to dry brush the hair, then combed through to coat the hair.

I'm planning a number of costumes that require blond hair right now and mine is dark brown. It looks like you had pretty good success with this method. I'll have to give it a try.

Turned out great, James. I'll be looking for a subtle change for my Obi Wan since my beard is dark.

Yeah, a little in the goatee and a little on each temple above your ears and you would be set for EP3.

That looks great James! I did ROTS Obi about 7 years ago, now my beard has gone so grey the next time I put on my Obi cosume it will have to be the SW version. ;) :lol

That turned out great! What a difference a little gray makes!

This looks great. I need to color my mustache to blend in with a fake beard for a Gandalf costume. Can you provide more detail as to what brand of hair color you used and how you "dry brushed" it?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back