D.C.'s Constantine tv series

As a movie, it was fine. As a Constantine movie it was... not horrible but not what you'd expect. Still, I really love the movie. It was very entertaining and engaging. Plus it just looked awesome. I am excited for the series. It looks pretty awesome. Was a good birthday present to get it released!

Neil Marshall Talks Constantine, The Descent, and More at Saturn Awards

1:50 – Can John Constantine smoke on TV?
MARSHALL: No. It’s the one thing, a compromise I guess. On network it’s the one thing you can’t smoke on network. That’s one of his character traits. We’re working around that. We’re trying to get aspects of it in there as much as possible. We’ll see.
2:15 – Does he still have cancer of some type, can you say?
MARSHALL: I have no idea where the story is going to go beyond the pilot, so I can’t answer that one.
In the pilot, does it make any mention of him having any kind of cancer?
MARSHALL: No, it doesn’t.

Of all the things that happen in a Constantine story I'd have thought smoking a cigarette is perhaps the least horrific thing they could show on TV there is. Or perhaps not.

For some reason this doesn't bother me as much as I would think, possibly because of th gum scene at the end of the movie. Sorta kinda prepped me for it.

Though it's ridiculous. Why shouldn't he be able to smoke on TV?

why are you allowed to show murder, dismemberment, etc without age limit, but as soon as you see a nipple, its rated M? cause america is prude, and noone around the world gets it

Really liked it! Apparently the actress playing Liv was written out, that's why the tacked on scene at the end of her heading to California. She'll be replaced with some other character. Kinda glad, I found her really limp personally. It has a real interesting vibe, and I think the guy playing John was really great. Not having read the comics, I don't know how accurate it all is, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

Of all the things that happen in a Constantine story I'd have thought smoking a cigarette is perhaps the least horrific thing they could show on TV there is. Or perhaps not.

With last fridays episode, it looks like they eased up on that as he was smoking during the beginning of the show

I've been quite enjoying it. Sadly, it looks like it'll be cancelled. I appreciate the effort they made, but I think the problem was that this show was just never really meant for network TV, good though it is.

production got cancelled after 13 episodes, but there will be a season 2 according to the internet http://deadline.com/2014/11/constantine-stop-production-13-episodes-season-1-nbc-1201294518/
Production did not get cancelled after 13 episodes. 13 episodes is (generally) the initial order for a season - if it does well, they'll pick it up for a full season and continue or pick up production.

Season 2 has also not been confirmed or announced. Many sources are speculating that it will be picked up for season 2 because its ratings are improving. The ratings of the initial episodes did not warrant it being picked up for a full first season - but, since it has improved and showing signs of life it is looking good for season 2.

The article you linked to does not say it got cancelled nor does it say there will be a season 2.

Not continuing production after 13 episodes isn't necessarily a death-knell, although it depends on the announcement itself.

A to Z and Bad Judge were both shut down after their 13 episode order. So, it'll be more like A to...M. They were announced as canceled, basically, and are unlikely to see new seasons. Constantine, though, has seen its ratings improve. NBC might be willing to give this one a shot. Grimm started somewhat slow, but picked up steam, and to be honest, there's nothing wrong with a solid 13-episode season. 22-episode runs are "full" seasons, but several shows (e.g. Hannibal and a TON of cable programming) are 10-13 episodes now. If the writers could plan for a 13-episode season, then the seasons themselves could be quite good.

Anyway, guess we'll see.

Personally, especially when you look at Constantine's DVR numbers (which are almost as good as its broadcast numbers), I think it just kinda highlights how traditional ratings systems are ill-equipped to gauge popularity anymore. Very few people that I know sit down and live watch TV as "appointment" TV anymore.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back