10 "little known" facts about Return of the Jedi

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
10 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

#3 upsets me - why didn't he stick with this?

Damn midichlorians.

3) George Lucas told Lawrence Kasdan that anyone can use the Force

It's just like doing yoga, Lucas told Kasdan during a marathon story conference. Or karate. "If you want to take the time to do it, you can do it." It just takes practice and concentration. Also, Lucas clarified that a "Jedi Master" like Yoda is different from a Jedi Knight," because "he's a teacher, not a real Jedi." And Yoda is like a Guru, who "doesn't go out and fight anybody." And Yoda wouldn't be any good in a fight, against someone like Darth Vader. Kasdan responded: "I understand what you're saying, but I can't believe it; I am in shock."

This is why it has always pissed me off to no end when Lucas says "I always intended..."

The thing is, Lucas could legitimately argue that he pretty much "always intended" to do any number of things, because it's clear that he had a bajillion different ideas that went in different directions.

Lol that's funny... Because he mentions midichlorians in one of those long lost ESB interviews... And if anyone can do it, why did we need Luke or his sister? Who cares about the son of Skywalker?

This is why Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney...

Considering the original script was so drastically different from anything that ever ended up on screen, in any of the films, I have a hard time buying "It was always like this from the very beginning".

Amazing. It's fun to dig in his head a bit to see his thoughts process and just how much work Star Wars was.

I would give a lot to be working on the set at that time!!!

The more information that comes to light on the development of these films the more I'm convinced that it was more a case that the right group of people happened to come together to make a couple good movies. By the time Jedi and the prequels came along a lot of the people had left for one reason or another and Lucas himself did not have the ability to sift through the material and make a good story out of the over abundance of concepts and half thought out ideas.

I read in a different 'facts' article that Richard Marquand did the voice of EV9D9 in Jabbas palace, in addition to being one of the AT-ST drivers.

I wish he'd been ballsy enough to go with that ending idea in #1. Heads would've been exploding all over the theater!

It wouldn't have fit to just have Luke take over as Vader. There was zero indication that Luke was tempted by the dark side and to suddenly have him switch over would have been very lame. Kinda like Anakin's Bull**** last minute switch over to pure evil in ROTS.

It wouldn't have fit to just have Luke take over as Vader. There was zero indication that Luke was tempted by the dark side and to suddenly have him switch over would have been very lame. Kinda like Anakin's Bull**** last minute switch over to pure evil in ROTS.
I disagree. I think it could have been pulled off. In some ways it makes more sense.

By the end of ESB Luke was still fumbling with his training and still dealing with failures. When he confronts the apparition of Vader in the cave, his face is in the helmet could have been a premonition.

When he leaves Dagobah it's against the warnings of Ben who says: "Only a fully trained Jedi Knight, with The Force as his ally, will conquer Vader and his Emperor. If you end your training now, if you choose the quick and easy path ... as Vader did ... you will become an agent of evil ... " The two wisest characters (Ben and Yoda) of the series told him it's a mistake to leave. Were they wrong?

It always bothered me that Luke just proved that acting on his emotions by "taking the quick and easy path" was the correct decision. He's essentially making the same mistake as his father did. I guess Luke was just a luckier guy, right?

The #1. ending would have been a more thematically cohesive tragedy. I would have felt awful but it would have made more sense.

Last edited:
"Only a fully trained Jedi Knight, with The Force as his ally, will conquer Vader and his Emperor."

You want to fill us in on something you're not telling us Yoda? Last I checked you were a Jedi MASTER and Obi-Wan was a seasoned Jedi who had enough lightsaber experience to take down a mechanical Jedi killer. Yet you failed to kill the Emperor and Obi-Wan failed to kill Vader.... TWICE. I think it takes a little more than a fully trained Jedi having the Force be your ally to have one person conquer two adversaries you two couldn't beat during your prime.

"I don't know, I'm making this up as I go"

That quote from another Movie says it all about george and Star Wars

Ah yes, now we have a little CGI Yoda flipping all over the place with his light saber! I feel like Chuck Heston at the end of Planet of the Apes. GD you prequals! GD you all to Hell!!!!!!!!!!!

Considering the original script was so drastically different from anything that ever ended up on screen, in any of the films, I have a hard time buying "It was always like this from the very beginning".

Oh, but it was!

It was just ALSO planned in a bajillion other ways from the very beginning. There were so many plans that it's almost like there was no plan at all!!!

But there was. There totally was. Seriously. No joke. From the beginning. No, really! Stop laughing!

I remember in 1978(?) between SW and ESB when the man first announced that he had 3 prequels and 3 sequels already plotted out.

Maybe his original intent was to have the dark ending to ROTJ (appropriately titled, "Revenge of the Jedi") and then introduce "the other" for the three sequels. I'm sure he must've had something like that in mind until something unexpected happened ... Lucas got sick of SW and wanted to just wrap it all up. He realized he's more into his ILM business and FX than directing human actors. And that's exactly what he did.

Lucas stopped being a SW fan some time between ESB and ROTJ. That's why he hadn't touched the franchise for so long. That's why the prequels aren't as good - he has no more heart for SW.

I can defend obi, cause obi was the man. He didn't fail to beat vader twice. The 1st time he kicked his butt, but he left him there to burn and die. He didn't want to watch his so called brother burn like a fry and he didnt have it in himself to do a mercy kill...even tho he should of. The 2nd time while on the Death Star he was just playing/ chatting with vader. Once he knew that Luke was watching he sacrificed his life to allow Luke to grow stronger inside. Striking him down made Luke want to be better Jedi and thus doing so it would bring back the Jedi knights over the sith. Kinda bring the young kids around to the old ways since the sith weren't doing it ( maybe?). Plus he killed Maul, Gen. Grievous and trained Ani and Luke. yoda? Was useless in most things and ran away from a fight..not like he beat him down and didn't wait for him to die. Nope , punk ran away. Oh and he trained Count dooku...which turned evil too. Man, it's like a crazy circle. Ha

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back