D.C.'s Gotham tv series

I really enjoyed the pilot last night and am excited to see where this show is going to take us. The kid who plays Bruce does a good job giving us non-verbal glimpses of the man he'll become. At one point, my husband sat up a bit straighter and said something to the effect of "Holy ****, he just gave Gordon Batman-eyes!"

I got the feeling while watching this that it was just about how many obvious Easter eggs (character revelations) they could cram into an hour. I may watch next week, but if it does not hook me by then, meh...I'd be more than happy to pass on it.

Not impressed at all, didn't look that interesting to begin with and much of the overarching plot points feel like BTDT with no fresh take, easy pass for me.

I enjoyed the show yesterday with Gordan and Penguin being my favorite characters so far. The kid acting as Bruce did a good job, I just hope as the series progresses he keeps a minor role and isn't involved in every mystery. The Enigma cameo was fun, but I didn't think we needed the Ivy one. I also felt a joker vibe with the comedian but I really hope they dont go that route, he isn't needed for this series. I can't wait to see the next episode.

I have a feeling that if they do end up bringing the Joker into the series, they will give us multiple origin hints (like the comics) leading up to his appearance.

It was clunky, but then most pilot episodes are. (Breaking Bad's pilot episode looks like a completely different show than the episodes of later seasons.)

The setting was sufficiently dark, the protagonist (Gordon) is definitely a strong character played by a good actor, and the writers have set themselves up with some decent possible story paths.

That said, they tried to cram too many things into the first episode. There was absolutely no need to introduce "Catgirl" and Edward Nigma as their presences did not further the plot of this episode.

The clunky vibe I referred to earlier was a result of trying to cram in a bunch of plot points that did not lead into each other smoothly. It seemed like the episode could not gain any momentum because we (the audience) were constantly switching directions on what were supposed to be trying to figure out.

Gordon seems like the only three-dimensional character so far, with Falcone as a possible second (but we really only saw a glimpse of him). That needs to change soon. Bullock is coward with a rude and rough shell, Mooney is an evil bitch (which is a shame because Pinkett-Smith is capable of more if she has the room to work), and Cobblepot is psychotic but doesn't have the power (yet?) to do anything with it. I want to care about what the actions of these characters will be, but so far I don't. Again, I attribute that to adding too many characters to the first episode and not giving enough time to develop it.

And why is Alfred a dick??

I usually give a new series three episodes to impress me, and I will do the same in Gotham's case. I just hope the next episode is a simple one-off case, focusing heavily on Gordon and Bullock, developing their relationship, with one scene at the end tying the episode into the season's plot arc.

I really enjoyed it. I felt that the many eggs did pull me out of the story a little.

My main problem was with Selina. The poses that Catwoman strikes are meant to be provocative & sensual, while showing her stealthy quality. IMO. Having the character on the show seemingly unable to stand up straight at her age bothered me a bit.

Playing armchair creator here, with all the other characters being only glimpses of their future selves, it seems to be a mistake to make her pretty close to her final form.

I thought it was terrible. So much exposition, zero emotion, an extensive network of arbitrary character ties, all in service of a character that isn't even in the show truly. Why Bullock? Why not Flass? Why make us comfortable with his partner when we should feel completely put off by him? Why put Selina Kyle into the shooting scene? Why would she go all the way out to Wayne Manor just to hang out at the gate? This whole thing felt like "Heroes" to me: a show written by people who don't get comics yet are trying to act like they do so that nerds will watch their show. It ends up coming off like "oh you nerds like to see lots of characters, don't you? Dance, nerds, dance!"

blech. I'm going to start writing my own extremely dark batman just to get the taste out of my mouth

Meh. I'll wait a few months and keep an ear open for improvement before I start investing more time into the show. i just don't see how a non-Batman show about Batman can work, especially with the characters as written in the pilot.

I'll keep watching for now. Good-cop-among-bad-cops-and-organized-crime genre isn't exactly my thing. I guess I (usually) prefer more escapism, and Gotham isn't exactly a vacation destination. When a story's world is so oppressive I can feel it, am I having fun?
The females are easy on the eyes, I'll give it that!

It'll be just mediocre enough that enough fan boys will deny that it's bad even though Bruce Wayne knew all the bad guys prior to being batman and the catwoman they casted looks like she needs an eye wrangler, but with all that it'll get renewed for a few seasons than fall into the smallville slump.

Plus how can Gordon afford that place seriously

It'll be just mediocre enough that enough fan boys will deny that it's bad even though Bruce Wayne knew all the bad guys prior to being batman and the catwoman they casted looks like she needs an eye wrangler, but with all that it'll get renewed for a few seasons than fall into the smallville slump.

Plus how can Gordon afford that place seriously

What's an eye wrangler?

And they did say that it's BARBARA'S place, not Jim's.

What's an eye wrangler?

And they did say that it's BARBARA'S place, not Jim's.

I know they said that but it doesnt really make much sense nor really work story wise

As for the eye wrangler its a joke from Family Guy, it's in spanish but you get the idea

Last edited by a moderator:
I know they said that but it doesnt really make much sense nor really work story wise

How so? Not much is really said/known about Barbara in the comics. They appear to have chosen to make her a wealthy socialite-type in this version. It's not a big deal at this point, though I suspect that they'll probably have her family have some involvement with Falcone at some point.

How so? Not much is really said/known about Barbara in the comics. They appear to have chosen to make her a wealthy socialite-type in this version. It's not a big deal at this point, though I suspect that they'll probably have her family have some involvement with Falcone at some point.

I got less of a "wealthy socialite" vibe and more of an "artist/art gallery owner" vibe.

They did hint that she's bisexual... y'know, for the male crowd.

However, I like that they seem to have Montoya as a lesbian, in keeping with the comics.

That said, can you imagine what it would be like as Commissioner knowing that one of your female subordinates used to bang your wife? It would certainly make for awkward company picnics...

I just finished watching it (had to DVR it last night), it could be really good but I'll wait to pass judgment for a few more episodes.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back