Sculpting cowls and eye masks with Super Sculpey?

Garrus Vakarian

Hi there, I was just wondering if Super Sculpey is suitable at all for sculpting cowls or eye masks on a lifecast? I would then be casting them after. Sculpey seems to be the only clay I can get in London without going overboard in price, as Chavant is listed as £5 on MouldLife, the delivery cost makes it £21 :unsure

Thanks!

I can't believe you haven't had any help, yet... Sculpey is a sulfur-free, polymer-based "clay", So I would imagine you shouldn't have any trouble using it for a cowl or mask. I would recommend baking it before you try to make a mold of it, and be sure to use a mold-release before you apply the latex... just to be safe. Monster Clay would be an even better choice because it is also sulfur free, and because it is a wax-based clay, not only do you not have to bake it, but you can apply latex directly on it, and you can reuse the clay once you have a mold. Per pound, it is cheaper than Sculpey. I pay roughly $40.00 for 5 lbs. of Monster Clay, and $10.00 for 1 pound of Sculpey. And Monster Clay isn't as dense a clay as Sculpey, so you get more volume per pound.

Garrus,

Can't really help with your Sculpey question but I think Cadeus was very helpful here.

However if you are based in London, there's the 4D Model shop in Whitechapel? They stock Chavant, WED Clay, Sculpey, and Monster Clay.

Also there is Tiranti's in Warren Street close to Baker Street. Worth a trip on the Tube.

Hope this opens up your options.

Luke

You will love Chavant-get some orange oil to help smooth it out, and you'll really be happy with the results!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back