Dr. Who 1/6th Scale Brachaki style Tardis

Gordon Gekko

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So... I'm currently in the middle of a move and I've been without my shop for the last two months and I have another month to go. So what to do? I decided to go old school and build a 1/6th scale Brachaki style Tardis by hand.

Even though I'm not a big fan of Dr. Who, I've always loved the Tardis. I've seen fullsize and much smaller built, but none in this scale.

This sucker is big! 18" tall and over 8-1/4" wide at its base.

I started off with some sheets of plexiglass and styrene. Building up the various layers to achieve the architectural details.

First are the wall panels.

ed4m.jpg

x7mx.jpg

Adding in the bevel to the panels.
ki8v.jpg

Building up the corner columns.

4zal.jpg

The two together.

rkyb.jpg

I then put in "wood" texture on the pieces. First by using 60 grit coarse sandpaper. I masked off the various sections of the panels and then used the sandpaper to put in the underlying texture. The masking was used to put the texture in only one direction so the styrene would look like individual panels.

ie6n.jpg

After that, I used a scriber to put a heavier wood texture over the top. Again, being careful to make sure the "grain" was different on each panel.

rhhi.jpg

xeqp.jpg

q6zg.jpg

Once I had two panels, two columns, base, roof, and light done, I went ahead and made molds to speed up the remaining build.

fq6u.jpg

t5w1.jpg

g6xv.jpg

wmuw.jpg

ftdq.jpg

fbpb.jpg

Putting in the doors with hinges.

3hu8.jpg

Roof with light.

nrpz.jpg

Testing out painting options. In every picture I have seen of the actual Tardis, you can see the paint heavily brushed on.

ew08.jpg

4kl3.jpg

I'll say it! KIT! I need one for my 1/6 scale Matt Smith. The balsa one I am building seems a bit fragile and won't last for the long haul!

Looks great. I keep wanting to make a tardis for the top of the xmas tree but it hits me as daunting, until i see a build like this.

Applying the paint with a fine brush to simulate the thick latex paint often seen on the originals.

7b8n.jpg

b7ii.jpg

Testing the roof lamp.

3dax.jpg

Applying a black wash to bring out the engraved details.

3iuw.jpg

u9fl.jpg

Dry-brushing with light blue and white. Almost done.

7yzs.jpg

And the Finished Tardis!

cmbq.jpg

kh98.jpg

fkvs.jpg

yonf.jpg

k4q5.jpg

8vvs.jpg

I think I may have weathered it a bit too much. Roof is removable and the doors open and close. I have also left opening behind the Police Box signage for future lighting options.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back