MorbidCharlies's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest - Steampunk Tin Man COMPLETE! (10/31)

MorbidCharlie

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My 2 year old loves the Wizard of Oz. We typically do a themed Halloween costume group for the family, so we decided to do the Wizard of Oz this year. I wasn't content to do just the Tin Woodsman from the movie - I needed something with more substance. I decided to make a steampunk/clockwork tin man. This is my first, complete build and it the bulk of the suit is made of craft foam and anti-fatigue mats. Some of the concepts I am trying to incorporate include:

- A boiler/furnace concept for the "steampunk" with lighting - COMPLETE!
- A working, clockwork heart - COMPLETE!
- Steampunk accents (armor, gears, goggles) - COMPLETE!

Some of the pieces were borrowed from JFCustom's Space Marine unfold and the hands are stripped down versions of Iron Mans. The rest of the pieces were designed by myself. This took 2 months to build. I'm very proud of this piece due to the fact that it is one of a kind.

Here are the photos from the final build:
IMG_0301.JPGIMG_0302.JPGIMG_0303.JPGIMG_0304.JPGIMG_0305.JPGIMG_0306.JPGIMG_0307.JPGIMG_0308.JPGIMG_0309.JPG

And here's a small featurette video of the costume:

If you like what you see make sure and vote for me in the contest!

Attachments

• CAM00313.jpg
    CAM00313.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 256
  • 575706_10200787472069851_135436281_n.jpg
    575706_10200787472069851_135436281_n.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 236
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Halloween 2013 - Steampunk Tin Man

So, I have the left leg complete. Just needs some Plastidip and paint and it's ready to go. With any luck, should have the other leg done by the end of next week.

CAM00315.jpgCAM00316.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Halloween 2013 - Steampunk Tin Man (update 9/28)

The attachments are coming out funny. I readded them to the last post and there are two. Mutilated Zabana's Iron Man pep file to create a no-detail verson of the palm, and have begun work on the torso.

Torso - Hand.jpg

Re: Halloween 2013 - Steampunk Tin Man (update 10/1)

Furnace lighting and door test. Torso is almost done. Neck piece is cut out. Ahead of schedule, hope to have this done in two weeks tops.

CAM00323.jpg

Re: Halloween 2013 - Steampunk Tin Man (furnace lighting test 10/1))

Here's the latest - a little set back due to illness and a busy weekend. Still making good progress though and on track. The large sheet and "donut" are the torso unfolded. Need to add the furnace/boiler door and a hatch for the heart before completing it.

CAM00329.jpg
CAM00330.jpg

Re: Halloween 2013 - Steampunk Tin Man (update 10/8)

mu4aruta.jpg

So, here's a boot. A little rough, but very happy with the paint job.

This is a great idea! The pieces look good, but I'm having difficulty picturing what it will look like complete.

Do you have a sketch of what you have in mind, or will I have to wait in suspense until you get more of it together? :D

Thanks Guri! I have a definite idea, but it's all in my head. I can give you an idea though. The bulk of the costume will be silver. The lighting is bad, but the sole of the boot, and the rivets are bronze. If you look at the picture with the legs, each appendage will have a strip of bronze running down the center with the rivets. The knees, elbows and ears will all have bronze gears. I'll have the traditional oil funnel cap with steam (dry ice) as I mentioned and I might even have time to add a "steam whistle" sound board. My face and neck will be painted silver and I'll have a metal lower jaw. The body will have a hatch with a working clock for my heart and the belly will be modeled like a furnace (the picture of the lighting test is the door) If I have enough time, I might go back and redo the boots...

Re: Halloween 2013 - Steampunk Tin Man (update 10/14 - painting begins)

I can't wait to see this!! That mechanical heart sounds so cool!

Okay, here you go Guri. This is a picture of the thigh with a better camera. This piece is done - painted and weathered. The whole body will be of this style, more or less.

IMG_0022.JPG

I really, really like the two tones, but is there a reason you aren't going to weather it even more?

I don't know much about steam punk, so I could be totally off with the spectrum looks of the genre... but what about something like this for the bronze:

03_blairhood.jpg

Just a thought!

Very excited about this build! Tin Man is one of my all time favorite characters (like Data from STNG< who would make another awesome steam punk version!!!)

I agree on the weathering, but I'm on a time crunch at this point, so I'm doing the minimum to get done and look good. I still have to try and figure out how to sew a lion costume for my wife by the 26th.

A lion too!!! Yay! How fun is that?! :D

And I hear you on the deadline. I'm making Thorin for one son and contemplating Thranduil for the other...We have a 26th deadline too. I don't think the elf is going to make it.

Good luck! The good news is... my 2 year olds scarecrow costume is done:
575706_10200787472069851_135436281_n.jpg

Squeee!!! That is adorable!! This is going to be such a great group costume. Are you guys going to enter the RPF Group Costume Contest this year?

Re: Halloween 2013 - Steampunk Tin Man (update 10/18 - furnace is hot! VIDEO)

Making excellent progress. Found this oil can at the $1 store and painted it silver:
IMG_0026.JPG

Here are a couple of shots of the layout so far. I'll get some closer shots when it's complete and I'm wearing it.
IMG_0023.JPGIMG_0024.JPG

And finally, a video of the final test for the furnace door and lighting that will be built into the torso. The fire effect came out better than I expected.

Last edited by a moderator:

That light effect is so awesome!!! Great find on that oil can too. :thumbsup

Awesome work man.Cant wait to see you all suited up.

I am still sick and now I think it's progressed to pneumonia. Still, I push on! :( No updates to the Tin Man costume unfortunately because Saturday was a complete loss.

However, Sunday I took the plunge into learning how to sew. This is my first time using a sewing machine, so I had to learn how to use one (the first half of the day) and the second half of the day was spent taking measurements off my wife, sewing, cursing, fighting the sewing machine and lots of error. Still I managed to crank out most of the costume and then promptly wrote it off. Today, I am redoing the skirt and top, but all of the other pieces are done (almost).

So here's a picture:
IMG_0027.JPG

My wife made the headband, but the gloves, legwarmers, tail and "belt" were all sewn by me from felt and furry fleece. The top (not shown) is done, but need my wife to try it on and the skirt is about to be resewn. Pretty proud of myself for never having touched a sewing machine before yesterday. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back