Alternative to EVA foam - PVC foam?

BigPun69

Hi all,

I'm having a really hard time finding Eva foam in rolls that doesn't have bumps on both sides where I am. I've managed to find some stuff but it says it's made of PVC instead of EVA.

Is this going to be ok? Anyone have any experience of using PVC foam?

As war as I know (and from my own experience) you can use a lot of different foam types. Basically most of the common yoga mats or floor mats will do and it's up to you to choose. I myself am working with PE floor mats and Plastazote.

PVC foam is also referred to as Sintra, which actually isn't anything like EVA foam. It's a closed cell foam extruded plastic sheet, which can be bent with a heat gun, and retains a rigid structure, it isn't at all flexible like EVA. It's moderately strong, easy to sand and takes paint very well, but it scratches and dents easily and can be difficult to work with if you're looking for complex curves, like you would need on an iron man suit. If you're are hoping to be able to heat bend it, I wouldn't recommend anything thicker then 1/8", otherwise you'll have alot of trouble actually bending it. It certainly has it's uses, and can be used for full armor builds, I made a full Farseer cosplay based on sintra for the armor pieces which I then coated in fiberglass for stability, but defiantly get some sample and practice with it before committing to buying a ton and fabricating a suit with it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back