Obi-Wan ANH Costume Bladed Lightsaber: Video

Thanks for the update ARKM! So it can work on my DSLR in video mode if the light is just right? What if I build a custom light piece that can mount parallel next to the lens with enough lumens I wonder if it would work? When you managed to get it to reflect was it the same quality glow as In the phone camera ?

Better actually. the light on my cell phone (Samsung galaxy S6) is not as good as some other cell phone lights. My cousin's LG cell phone REALLY makes that tape light up.

A custom light solution that is bright enough, mounted near/around the lens of a DSLR should in theory, work. Turning off auto ISO and Auto White Balance and then setting those two options manually (settings vary depending on the light in the room and the light cast on the tape from the camera's light source) helps out quite a bit but sadly, those are always on in video mode with my DLSR. I have two old mini DV cameras I can play with as well. Maybe it's time to tape up my blades instead of just shooting the rolls, lol.

Well maybe we can coordinate our video testing.we are really wanting this to "work" for our fan film as best is it can .I have my RED camera thats my pride and joy I should test that and my old Canon GL-30 with a LED custom light set. One of those has to work with this effect right?
Better actually. the light on my cell phone (Samsung galaxy S6) is not as good as some other cell phone lights. My cousin's LG cell phone REALLY makes that tape light up.

A custom light solution that is bright enough, mounted near/around the lens of a DSLR should in theory, work. Turning off auto ISO and Auto White Balance and then setting those two options manually (settings vary depending on the light in the room and the light cast on the tape from the camera's light source) helps out quite a bit but sadly, those are always on in video mode with my DLSR. I have two old mini DV cameras I can play with as well. Maybe it's time to tape up my blades instead of just shooting the rolls, lol.

Here are a few cell phone pics from premiere night.

No flash

20160112_215620_zpsqlw0xxdo.jpg

Flash

FB_IMG_1450412823911_zpslcp2vbvu.jpg

20160112_215430_zpsumsp3epx.jpg

Hey guys has anyone else tried this effect or made video with any more DSLR video cameras? I just ordered a canon eos 70d and looking for a light source with more lumens . is there any way someone could post a demo with the reflexite in video on a DSLR?

I'm doing one of these with a Canon B2 flash unit - turns out if you disassemble the emitter you're left with a plate that screws into the flash tube and has a 1/4" hole like a washer. Gonna find a way to stick a Vader shroud on there...ordered some red tape!!! (1/4 20 rod, nuts and some flat washers that could get stuck in some beige PVC at the hardware store)

- - - Updated - - -

what sort of PVC fittings are you guys using to get a rounded tip the same diameter?

Yeah, I bought some 3M stuff for another project and it does not reflect nearly as well as the retro reflective tape. Make sure you get that one.

nice! Just ordered some red stuff - but I'm still working on the hardware to get it installed in a flash tube. tricker than I expected.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back