LOST: Oceanic Airlines Boeing 777

Ah, did I say vertical stabilizer(S)? I specifically tried not to get that wrong. I suppose I overthought it and said the wrong one. :facepalm I meant horizontal.

On the note of the above image . . . well, I can't quite say why I give it no attention it without ruining, like, half of Season 6 of LOST. Does anybody care about a spoiler like that? The show did wrap up in 2010.

The reason why I want to stick with the L-1011 colors on a 777 is because that is what you see on the show crashed into the island. The physical sets themselves of the cockpit and fuselage, that's the color scheme I'm going after. Now, I've seen quite a few pieces that depict it like the plane landing above: the stripes remain the same thickness and simply wrap around the nose. But I know that they don't on the actual cockpit that was in the jungle in Pilot, Part I, so that's why I don't want to go with it.

- Master Tej -

Right, so I know I've left this alone for a little while now, but things get kinda crazy around Christmas. However, I've got a changed schedule at school which allows me MUCH more time to work on this design (I've been trying to complete the design on a full set of birds-eye, side, and front view blueprints of a 777). In fact, I spent about 1/4 of my day at school on Friday doing nothing BUT working on the design while listening to the LOST Season 1 soundtrack. Pure bliss, let me tell you.

Anyways, I've been pondering a question for quite a while now: exactly which model of 777 was Oceanic Flight 815? I've seen it stated as bunches of different ones, so I decided to take the available ones and deduce which one(s) fit the bill.

To begin with, we know it was a 777. Simple.

From there, the choice narrows to 777-200 or 777-300 variant. After a little debate, I decided it must be a 200 rather than 300 type, and here's why. The 300, although all of its variants were put into service before September of 2004 (Oceanic 815 crashed on September 22, 2004), is too large. It simply wouldn't even begin to work for the size of the piece of fuselage on the beach. Plus, the 300 has a door above the wing on both sides, and, per the pictures above, Oceanic 815 clearly did not have that.

So it's one of the 200 variants. That leaves three options: the 200, the 200ER, and the 200LR. We can take the 200LR off the table because it was not first entered into service until 2005, almost 3/4 of a year after Oceanic 815 went down!

It was then a simple matter of distance. The 200 has a maximum range at maximum payload of 5,240 nautical miles, while a 200ER under the same conditions has a max range of 7,725 nautical miles. Calculating the distance from Kingsford Smith International Airport in Sydney, its port of origin, to Los Angeles International Airport in California, its intended destination, the distance comes out to 6,520 nautical miles. And therein lies the answer. While this is an easy trip for the 200ER, this is impossible for the original base 200 variant.

So Oceanic 815 was a Boeing 777-200ER. Whoo, glad that's out of the way. That being said, I may have used a set of 200 instead of 200ER blueprints for my current design. Drat.

Anyways, I've been continually daunted by the prospect of decals and all that for this model, until a thought occurred to me: why not start with something simple, and move from there?

This has led me to the goal of first making Ajira Airways 316, a plane from Season 5 of LOST. I'll make another post about all the ins and outs of this craft later, but it has a much simpler design than that of the Oceanic 777-200(ER), so I decided I would try to make this one first to get used to decals. As a matter of fact, the local hobby shop has already placed me an order for Hasegawa's 737-800 model, which was the make of Ajira Airways 316.

Sorry for the long winded post, but there's that. Hopefully I can soon post the finished blueprints of Oceanic 815 along with the new case study and blueprints for Ajira 316. Until then, remember that everything that happens, happens for a reason.

- Master Tej -

I decided to go on ahead with my case study for the Ajira Airways 737 now.

THERE ARE SPOILERS IN THE NEXT THREE PARAGRAPHS.

So then, this plane was seen in Season 5 of LOST, when the "Oceanic 6", the 6 survivors who escaped The Island, tried to return to save their friends. Ajira Airways was first seen in LOST when the survivors still on The Island were still experiencing time jumps, and Juliet found a bottle for Ajira Airways in an outrigger at the beach camp, a reference to the later crash of Ajira 316.

In the meantime, back in the real World, Eloise Hawking at the Lampost station in LA determined that Ajira Airways 316 would pass over the coordinates of The Island, the location of which changed frequently. She sent 5 of the Oceanic 6 on the flight, which was flown by Frank Lapidus, the pilot from Season 4. When the plane flew over The Island, 4 of the O6 on board disappeared back in time, while the plane then stalled over The Island and was successfully put down on The Island by Frank Lapidus in an emergency landing on the Hydra Island runway.

The plane sat there for 2 weeks, although it was almost blown up by the survivors in an attempt to prevent the MiB from leaving The Island. Finally, it was hastily repaired by Lapidus, Richard Alpert, and Miles Straume, and left the collapsing island with them and Sawyer, Kate, and Claire. The plane was the last thing Jack saw before he died, letting him know he was successful in delivering his friends and the woman he truly loved away from The Island.

Anyways, this plane is considerably easier to decipher than Oceanic 815 because there are really only two consistent sources: a digital model for all of the sequences in which it was moving, and a physical model for its resting place. The nice thing about this was that they were not in any kind of timecrunch to make the physical model, and so they could build their own physical model which pretty much "agreed" completely with the digital model, as opposed to trying to retrofit the design onto a retired aircraft as they did with Oceanic 815. So let's get to it.

First off, here's the digital images I have of it.

Ajira 316 taxiing.

Ajira Airways 316 takes off from LAX.

Ajira Airways flies to The Island.

This shows the underbelly of Ajira 316 as on final approach to The Island. The main thing this is important for is the fact that it shows the underbelly of Ajira 316, which is actually, like Oceanic 815, gray/silver. It's hard to see, but it's there. Given what was said above about plane underbellies, this makes sense.

Ajira 316 as it makes its emergency landing. As you can see, with the digital models, the design remains consistent, especially considering as to how these were all in the same few episodes. It's also considerably simpler: one red stripe, "Ajira Airways" on the side, the Ajira logo on the tail, and "Ajira" on the winglets. Next, I'll do the physical part, because this is getting long. But this will be a good chance to be able to get used to decals before I tackle the considerably more complicated Oceanic 815.

- Master Tej -

I thought I'd post this here, because I've consistently still been working on this when I get the chance. I'll admit that it's taken me much longer than it should have, but I only ever get the chance to work on this for an hour and a half every other weekday, and I usually end up doing other things to occupy some of that time. But I realized I had finished it in Illustrator today (though I've noticed a few errors I'll need to correct) and was jubilant! It felt good.

- Master Tej -

EDIT: I fixed the wing errors, new version is in place. This one's final, guys.

Last edited:
I had always wanted to make a 1:400 Oceanic 815 - All your stuff on here really helped thanks. I ended up buying a Delta 777 with old livery. I just used some testers white paint and some Avery transparent sticker sheets and it came out okay. Actually I think it took less time to make it than it did to figure out how to register for this forum. lol. I know the nose isn't as it should be, but it made it a lot easier for striping. I'm going with the concept that Oceanic had a few variations on its designs. Like with many real airlines, they buy used planes from various carriers and convert them the best that they can. So this is my version. Thanks again. - Bill
Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 10.41.00 PM.pngIMG_4529.jpg

WOW!! Thank you so much for sharing that site, Portland! In case you don't know, the model seen there was actually a fake made to replicate 815 per the plot of the show, so it's okay that it's inaccurate. That's so awesome to see that!

I had always wanted to make a 1:400 Oceanic 815 - All your stuff on here really helped thanks. I ended up buying a Delta 777 with old livery. I just used some testers white paint and some Avery transparent sticker sheets and it came out okay. Actually I think it took less time to make it than it did to figure out how to register for this forum. lol. I know the nose isn't as it should be, but it made it a lot easier for striping. I'm going with the concept that Oceanic had a few variations on its designs. Like with many real airlines, they buy used planes from various carriers and convert them the best that they can. So this is my version. Thanks again. - Bill
View attachment 308207View attachment 308206

First off, I'd like to wholly apologize for not seeing this sooner. The end of Senior year really got busy, and I didn't end up checking here when you posted this.

That being said, thank YOU so much for posting this project! It makes me feel pretty damned awesome that somebody else has been able to use my rantings about LOST to make an actual model of an Oceanic Airlines B777! On the subject of the design, I've actually thought the same myself that an Airliner like Oceanic would have several variants. So maybe yours is Oceanic Airlines Flight 814? ;) Thanks so much for sharing!

- Master Tej -

P.S. - I guarantee that if you made a few of those and put them on eBay you could probably get a pretty nice return from fans of the show. After all, not only is the 10th anniversary right around the corner, but an Oceanic Air model both that accurate and that large has never, to my knowledge, been made available to fans. Just a thought!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back