Gurren Lagann (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) Costume Build [COSTUME FINISHED PIC HEAVY]

ironmaided

Sr Member
Just wanted to share my progress on my current costume build, not Iron-Man related, but still in foam.

Gurren Lagann Costume build, I'll be using this on a local event (Cosplay Mania 2013) here in the Philippines on October 5-6. So this will be a 2-week rush build.

For those who isn't familiar with Gurren Lagann is a Japanese Mecha Anime television series.

1239956_516096968472767_290885377_n.jpg

This build is also inspired by toja and his own Gurren Lagann Project (man you are sooo awesome!)

http://www.therpf.com/f24/tengen-toppa-gurren-project-toja-168291/ <--check out his own build :)

I'll be using pepakura files for this (the same files used by toja on his own build), but i will modify some parts for personal foam use (and for obvious reasons, i cant share them because i'm not authorized to do so).

Good thing about this build is it doesn't require electronics at the moment. The mecha itself (from the anime/manga) can summon drills anywhere on its body, that's right ANYWHERE specially those wholes on this feet hips arms etc, which can be motorized, but I will not do that for now because I need to rush this.

I already built the helmet, minus the horn details, pretty badass if you ask me lol :)

BAA_ 044.jpgBAA_ 045.jpgBAA_ 042.jpgBAA_ 043.jpg

Critics and suggestions/comments are welcome :) This will be my first mecha build not based on Iron-Man, but I will use similar techniques here like sealing with acrylic emulsion, the straps and pivot points etc. .

Thanks! :thumbsup

~i.maided

Last edited:
Re: Gurren Lagann Costume Build (because Iron-Man is too mainstream)

1st UPDATE (exactly 1 hour after the first post :lol )

i manage to finish the horn detail. . .and tried to put it over my mark 7 chest and behold Iron-Lagann :lol

1233634_516095898472874_1285853746_n.jpg

next update will be the upper torso of the mecha, i'll build it later after i get up, i haven't slept yet lol (it's 7:46am here, i started workin' on the helmet around 10pm last night :lol )

thanks for viewing! :)

Re: Gurren Lagann Mecha WIP (because Iron-Man is too mainstream)

UPDATE (09/22/13)

I haven't updated this thread for a while since i first posted this since i had another commission going on. . .(yeah another mark 42)

so here's what i've got so far. . .i had the torso done :)

BAA_ 090.jpgBAA_ 091.jpg

next will be the legs of this badass build :D

stay tuned :thumbsup

*Subbed*

Man you sure do have an amaizing set of skills. I look forward to your updates.

thanks man . . .i'm planning to finish this as soon as possible but i don't want to rush it much. . . thanks for viewing :thumbsup

Looks awesome man. kudos on doing something different, Gurren lagann is one of my favorite animes. following this one

BAA_ 097.jpg

UPDATE. . .finally i finished the waist/cod piece. . .only the screw details is missing. . .looks like a gown lol
Alpha Proto : thanks. . .the trick is behind the crest. . . i can't explain here well but it's the same as JFcustoms technique on his thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks awesome man. kudos on doing something different, Gurren lagann is one of my favorite animes. following this one

thanks mate :thumbsup originally i'm planning to build the final form of gurren lagann (yeah the biggest one) :lol one day i could put that off

Re: Gurren Lagann Project (UPDATE: 10-06-13) TEASER PIC

It's been a week since my last post. I've been busy build a commissioned suit for my buddy ironshawarma here in therpf.com so I've never updated this thread. Fortunately I finished the costume and it will be launched tomorrow (yey!) and here's some teaser pictures.

521980_525021254247005_165987863_n.jpg

1380392_525021260913671_1063434177_n.jpg

1377506_525021364246994_1452268935_n.jpg

here's the costume during it's unpainted days. . .

1385051_525020874247043_1551690757_n.jpg

this is my first "huge" build. so it may be my first step on making other huge mecha cosplay costumes, maybe gundam? or the hulkbuster, hmmm maybe igor :D well that's on my list. .oh well i need to rest. . .it's 2:25am here and i need to get up around 7am to prepare for the convention. I'll post some pictures of the costume in action :)

thanks for viewing!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back