How to make a mold of my part?

asok

I just got this dart made for my Jango gauntlets. I am wanting to made a mold ot it. That way when I break it, I will just have to cast up a new one. Any idea how to make the mold?

[attachmentid=5646]

Originally posted by weaselflinger@Dec 24 2005, 09:38 PM
The easiest way to do this is to mold and cast the fins seperately and glue them on after everything is cast.
[snapback]1143186[/snapback]​

That is how I made the first one. It took forever to do.

well there is an easyer way especially if you want ease and simplicity. A one peice mold made with clear rtv it can be had from micro mark or BJB ent.inc. has a great one as well. an expample of how it would work since you now have a clear mold study the mold carefully and determine where you want to cut it I would say right on the edge of the fins. extract the original. clean up the mold then cut up some small scrapes of 1/4 bass wood plank to act as backboard stiffener place these on each side of the mold and hold them in place with a rubber band. now just mix the resin and pour.
Now get to it.
let us know how it comes out

CA

Thanks for the ideas. I have 2 gallons of silicon on the way so, I will post pics when I get it done.

I think the easiest way to cast this is to do a single piece mold in clear silicon, cut the mold apart along the fin lines into 3 sections, remove your original, and then cast copies in white metal.

Ok, so I made a mold this weekend and my mold release just did not work real well. I will have to try it again later.

So, what do you think of my great mold?

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic8.jpg

More pics
http://home.insightbb.com/~wlwarren/forsal...htGauntlet.html

I think you went a little overboard on the silicon but hey you got a mold.

Alos next time only slice the mold. No need to cut it apart. You could have just split it then it would re-align by itself.

You could have put thin plastic card in the areas between the fins and the body.They would add natural opening points in the mould and be easily removed after casting...like the flash that you'll have on that mould.

Well that's how I would have done it.

Originally posted by asok@Jan 1 2006, 07:32 PM
I used clear packing tape to cut it into 4 sections.
[snapback]1148438[/snapback]​

Oh I see.....got it.

Nice quick and dirty method. Whatever works.

Mold making is all about how many you need and how much cleanup you are willing to do on the other end.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back