Graflex Inc. or Folmer Graflex for Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber?

kingpiranha

Hi everyone!

Is there anyone who knows or have a good thought about which Graflex 3-cell flash they used for the Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? I have literally hurt my brain thinking about this. You can clearly see that the Skywalker Ranch ESB Lightsaber is a Folmer Graflex 3-cell flash (with smooth straight brass pins), but I can't see which Graflex version they used for the Bespin lightsaber. :confused

I don't know if I'm gonna use my Graflex Inc. 3-cell flash or wait until I get my hands on a Folmer Graflex.

Please, I need some help before my head explodes! :lol

Thanks

Hi there,

May I suggest that you built the ANH version first with what you have ... should in the meantime become conclusive which version was used you can always alter the ANH Inc. if need be into an ESB or get a Folmer version . . . and start all over again with the addition of another red button and the cuts in the T-track + rivets or screws and another activation board.

-Chaim

Thanks for the replies :)

The thing is... I have already had my Graflex flash converted into a Luke ANH, and I have become more and more specific about the screen accuarcy over the years. I descovered that the Graflex lightsaber in ANH is a Folmer Graflex (due to the straight smooth brass pins), and mine was a Graflex Inc. flash, so my Luke ANH lightsaber was no longer good enough for me :cry. For a few month ago I read somewhere that the Luke ESB lightsaber (Hero/Bespin version) was a Graflex Inc. flash, so I started to get my hands on everything I needed for a Luke ESB. But for just a few weeks ago I looked very closely at some pictures of the Luke ESB lightsaber, and I started to doubt if it really is a Graflex Inc.. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. If it is worth waiting on a Folmer Graflex to pop up or just go with the Graflex Inc. flash I have.

// Axel

Definitely following this thread closely...

I've actually been wondering the exact same thing myself as I have the opposite problem - I managed to pick up what turned out to be a Folmer Graflex off of evilBay a short while ago that I was planning to convert into an ESB lightsaber, but I wasn't sure if it was the 'correct' variant or not since my MR ANH Luke lightsaber was clearly based on a Graflex Inc. flash handle.

Time for some more bumping!
But really,... isn't there anyone who have any information, ideas or thoughts to share about this topic? :confused

// Axel :)

I think you could go either way and still have an accurate prop. They switched out sabers and parts pretty regularly during filming so its hard to say decisively which prop was used for each movie. Also, the flashed themselves can have differences I believe.

In this pic from the Bespin battle scene, you can see that his saber doesn't have the cutout t-tracks so it may be the same prop re-used from A New Hope. It also doesn't appear to have the horizontal lines near the emitter that I thought were a characteristic of a Folmer Graflex. If that is true, then this saber would likely be a Graflex Inc. I have heard that some Folmers do not have those lines however so it is hard to say.

luke20.jpg

I think that's just a stunt made out of a chrome tube. He is about to drop it.
A folmer stamp doesn't necessarily mean lines near the emitter. Especially since tops and bottoms can be switched around before (and after) being acquired by prop masters.

Anyway, I can be a stickler at times but this degree of exactitude is beyond even me. More power to the OP in his quest, however.

Bumping this old thread for a little advice....

I just picked up a Graflex 2 cell for the extra red button (and the extra clamp for my Obi build) so I'm almost ready to try and put together my ESB replica...

BUT... my base Graflex at the moment is a older 3-cell Folmer Graflex with the straight pins and thin button curling.

For the sake of "screen/hero accuracy" should I try and hunt down a Graflex Inc. Graflex (or hunt for a Graflex Inc 3-cell bottom for use with my 2-cell top) or just use the Folmer?

I have a real HP circuit board and a real Kobold D-ring holder so I'm *this* close to having all of the parts to make an accurate real parts replica so I don't want to flub the main part of the build...

What are all of your thoughts??

Imo unless you are trying to sell it as a authentic prop, which you probably are not, i have two grafflex's one in anh trim the other is transforming to esb, my thought is use what you got that is what the studios did 99% of the people will not know the difference and the 1% that do are on this board the funny thing about these is alot of the sabers we see in books were not actual props but fan made.

^This! Also, there isn't necessarily a correlation between bottom stamps and varieties of button knurling, etc. Not to mention there have been decades of chances of the parts being swapped. You might have to buy a few flashes before you have the combination of parts you want.

All I read now is FLASH and BOTTOMS ... that's how much this thread is spinning before my very eyes ... yes indeed even for me the über screen accurate lightsaber guy collector accros the pond.

Nevertheless ... happy graflex hunting ... and lightsaber prop making!

Chaim

I didn't realize there were different graflex models out there. Anyone have side by side pics of a regular graflex and a folmer graflex to show the differences?

No problem. Now I have to watch ESB again to see... as if I remember right if NEW YORK is spelled out on the wampa cave one, then it might be a FOLMER GRAFLEX CORP. version... hmmmmm

I just did some detail watching on ESB blu ray and harmy's and yup... that bottom tube makes it a FOLMER Graflex inc. for ESB.

Funny enough I have two of those (I only have four from 20 left now for my personal collection)... and one is earlier with a more bright plating, shallower stamping, and single thin line knurled button. The other is more like the mid-late vintage made flashes and has the knob we're all familiar with. Interesting. And these are both confirmed to not have any parts swapped since new.

I find it interesting how manufacturing from way back was so inconsistent. Close enough, but varied a lot.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back