Advice needed on making a core for a silicone mask

Jayesh Ranavaya

Hey guys. I am in the process of making my core for casting silicone masks. I have had a life cast of myself done and I realise I COULD start sculpting directly onto it but I am fully aware that some modifications need to be done to ensure a better fit, especially around the eyes and mouth.

Any tips or advice would be great. In fact is anyone has any pictures of a good core that would be perfect.

Hey, Jayesh!

I'm a young mask maker myself, but I've made a few cores. Ideally(at least for me, I'm sure everyone is different), what I try to do is eliminate any natural undercuts that are present on the human face. We all have them, that's why a lot of mask making armatures you can buy have the ears filed down/wedged back, ect. I normally fill these areas in with WED(behind the ears, inside corners of the eye, naso-labial folds, ect), and then make another lifecast of that one.

The Bruce Fuller video on SWSCA about full-head character makeups spends a good hour on just prepping the lifecast for sculpture, I'd recommend watching it if you haven't already!

Also, I checked out your Yaeger Freddy, looks great!!!

Thanks for the advice.tried to find that video but couldn't. Could you provide the link?

Also could anyone please help me with what to do on the eyes especially on a life cast of myself. Just leave them or carve then into the socket as I've heard some makers doing this.

I just don't know how to approach it and don't want to ruin a good life cast.

Please I need urgent help.

Thanks.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back