Richard Castle - Castle

pohatu771

Preparing for Fan Expo in Toronto, I was looking for something for Nathan Fillion to sign. Normally I do action figures, but there aren't any of his characters. A friend suggested doing the Writer vest he wears on Castle.

A very quick web search revealed the vest is a Point Blank R20-D carrier, and a quick eBay search revealed Blackwater to be selling leftovers in a wide range of sizes, for pretty good prices. I put in a best offer, and had one on my doorstep within a week. The large rectangle of velcro was already attached to front and back, so I printed three pages of the word WRITER (Impact, 174pt), and ironed it onto some fabric. Half an hour of sewing gave me three sturdy velcro identification panels.

It was definitely the best costume I've worn to a convention. The vest provides plenty of storage, I get to wear normal clothes underneath, and it was fairly recognizable, though not terribly common.

The third panel was the one I had signed. I'll end up displaying it with this one attached, hopefully signed by a few other cast members at future events.

The iron-on paper was mixed. It got a little bit transparent in spots.

Last edited:
There were a few Castles. One was made of duct tape, and a few I saw that were hand-made or other types of vest. I got a lot of compliments and photo requests. I've looked through the photos on news sites and Flickr, but haven't found myself yet. I have two Star Wars costumes (including a very good fitted Jedi), but this has gotten the best reaction.

Nathan actually didn't say anything about the costume, though he was very friendly. The table was on a raised platform, so he may not have even seen what I was wearing below the shoulders.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back