Man of Steel Fabric update--Warner Bros Studio Museum visit.

Wish this accurate description would be made on every other piece we do here on the RPF.
I feel honored for the "talented" almost as much I am amused about the fact the everybody (including myself) knows I'm doing it wrong ahhahaha

Last edited:
Wish this accurate description would be made on every other piece we do here on the RPF.
I feel honored for the "talented" almost as much I am amused about the fact the everybody (including myself) knows I'm doing it wrong ahhahaha

Hahaha, cheers, mate. I love your work!

I'm curious how glissnet would react with silk screening for the suit texture, or if it would look good at all.
It should react about as well as any other spandex blend. Eldonnaty has gotten some good dimensional results with puff-paint applied to spandex using a stencil.
photo4_zps5c918913.jpg

The example pictures of the glissnet were shot using a very close up magnification, the weave is is actually very small like the fabric on the screen-used suits.

Regarding the microsuede of the cape -- if it is anything like the stuff I use for other projects, it is often used for upholstery and can be found on rolls in ~60" widths, so there's probably no seam.

Lunaman, you rock. I dont' want to do Kal-El, or really any of the main 'face' characters, but I definitely am looking at a background Kryptonian outfit. This helps immensely, but I'm going ot have to find resources (or folks on here) for doing the screenprinting in other colors than blue, and so forth...

--Jonah

Regarding the microsuede of the cape -- if it is anything like the stuff I use for other projects, it is often used for upholstery and can be found on rolls in ~60" widths, so there's probably no seam.

Lunaman, you rock. I dont' want to do Kal-El, or really any of the main 'face' characters, but I definitely am looking at a background Kryptonian outfit. This helps immensely, but I'm going ot have to find resources (or folks on here) for doing the screenprinting in other colors than blue, and so forth...

--Jonah

Thanks for the kind words and extra info, Jonah. I think that project sounds really cool, the sort of thing I'd like to explore myself. Cheers.

Puff-paint as in the dimensional fabric paint you can get at walmart for 10 bucks or less? Well I'll be...

I'm in pretty much the same boat, Jonah. Trying to make a Preus costume with a MoS-like aesthetic to actually fit with the cosplay group I'm attending cons with.

Just as a note:
All the upholstery microsuede that I've seen locally only has the nap on one side. I've only ever seen two sided microsuede available online, or really good specialty stores, which I don't have locally. :unsure

The cape is a single layer? Not two sewn together along the edges?

--Jonah
Single layer. No seams along the edges. Haven't been back to check since the last time, but I remember this quite well.

I was actually at Warner Bros again today, but I didn't visit the museum. Might be back again next week.

Oh, brilliant, thanks! I spoke to my local fabric store recently and they said they didn't have a source for blue, only able to supply Glissnet in black, white, or nude.

I bought a sample piece of the black and have been doing some lighting tests with it at home, and it still looks the closest of any other stretch fabric I've looked at.

Maybe the white or nude would work in a heavy concentration (since I'm guessing it is a nylon or polyester) of blue dye.

Maybe the white or nude would work in a heavy concentration (since I'm guessing it is a nylon or polyester) of blue dye.
It's a nylon and spandex blend, so possibly. Might require heat-setting that would damage the spandex, however.

The link montysaurus posted sells "Glistenet" in both Royal Blue and DK Royal Blue, so that might be a place to start.

Hey, Lunaman... I've been idly noodling this over since the first publicity photos showed up, and actually seriously thinking about it after all the wonderful "last days of Krypton" stuff in the actual film*. How much do we know about the classes/castes/houses? Does the entire scientist caste wear dark blue? Or just the House of El? We saw all of the military caste wearing black, not just Zod. Was the Council of Elders from... what, Governing caste? Religious? Something else? I saw lots of golds and browns on them...

For that matter, do we know which houses are in which caste? WB did a lovely job frontloading publicity for MoS with the house crest finder toy for their website (I got House of Zar), and the work they did on the alphabet is stunning, because they actually went past direct one-to-one transliteration. And I want to go past just doing Jor-El or Zod or some other face character and maybe do a costume representing one of the other Kryptonian houses. I had actually just found that site for Glitenet, but was beaten to the punch in letting you know. I love all the color options available, but I don't know which one to go with...

In a completely unrelated aside... *points to your signature section* ...Cary Elwes is going to be up here in Seattle at Emerald City Comic Con this coming March...

--Jonah

* Really should have been three films, edited together in less-confusing manner: #1) Kal-El's quest for identity from arrival through childhood and adolescence to discovery of his heritage and adopting a heroic persona to protect Earth; #2) Prequel on Krypton going into backstory, Jor-El, Zod, and all of that; #3) Zod arrives at Earth pursuing the Genesis Matrix and has to fight Supes (less collateral damage, bad science, and military acting stupid, though, please).

Hey, Lunaman... I've been idly noodling this over since the first publicity photos showed up, and actually seriously thinking about it after all the wonderful "last days of Krypton" stuff in the actual film*. How much do we know about the classes/castes/houses? Does the entire scientist caste wear dark blue? Or just the House of El? We saw all of the military caste wearing black, not just Zod. Was the Council of Elders from... what, Governing caste? Religious? Something else? I saw lots of golds and browns on them...

For that matter, do we know which houses are in which caste? WB did a lovely job frontloading publicity for MoS with the house crest finder toy for their website (I got House of Zar), and the work they did on the alphabet is stunning, because they actually went past direct one-to-one transliteration. And I want to go past just doing Jor-El or Zod or some other face character and maybe do a costume representing one of the other Kryptonian houses. I had actually just found that site for Glitenet, but was beaten to the punch in letting you know. I love all the color options available, but I don't know which one to go with...

In a completely unrelated aside... *points to your signature section* ...Cary Elwes is going to be up here in Seattle at Emerald City Comic Con this coming March...

--Jonah

* Really should have been three films, edited together in less-confusing manner: #1) Kal-El's quest for identity from arrival through childhood and adolescence to discovery of his heritage and adopting a heroic persona to protect Earth; #2) Prequel on Krypton going into backstory, Jor-El, Zod, and all of that; #3) Zod arrives at Earth pursuing the Genesis Matrix and has to fight Supes (less collateral damage, bad science, and military acting stupid, though, please).
Hey Jonah,
I don't know the specifics of the sartorial guidelines on Krypton off the top of my head, but I believe they're discussed in the 'making of" Man of Steel art book that I flipped through at Barnes&Noble recently. There's at least a resource to begin with there, and I"m failry certain only Kal-El's suit uses blue.

Thanks for the Cary Elwes heads up. I'm not very likely to make it up to Seattle but you never know. I might actually get another chance to meet him down here in L.A., he's doing a Q&A after a screening of a film at the Screen Actors Guild next week. I might be working that night, but I might be able to make it.

As for fabric news, bolteon593 found another source for blue Glissnet, some place called Fulton's Trim.
Fulton's Trim: Glissnet Shear Lycra
http://www.therpf.com/f24/man-steel...teaser-sample-176374/index12.html#post3069175

I don't know the specifics of the sartorial guidelines on Krypton off the top of my head, but I believe they're discussed in the 'making of" Man of Steel art book that I flipped through at Barnes&Noble recently.

Oo. I'll look there next time I'm out that way...

I'm fairly certain only Kal-El's suit uses blue.

Nope. ;) Here are some gossip-rag photos of Crowe in costume under natural lighting.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back