1:1 Scale Good Guy Chucky Doll FINISHED!!!!

Mr. Nagata

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
UPDATE: See photos in post #126
***************************************************************************************************************
I'm about to tackle my longest standing "dream prop": a full-sized Chucky doll from Child's Play. All the parts will be cast in rubber from a screen-used doll. I will be duplicating all of his clothes using the same materials and techniques as the screen-used dolls. Hopefully this will be an epic build thread (if I can actually stick to documenting it :lol). I've never been happy with the Medicom or Dream Rush dolls. They aren't very accurate and they are super expensive nowadays. If you want something done right, you just have to do it yourself!

While I've been working on this for quite a while (mainly tackling the issues with the clothes), I will start this thread with this little iconic piece of the puzzle:

32_chuckywip2.jpg

The images on the left are from CP1. The right is CP2. Slightly different construction. Mine is sort of a hybrid, but I'm mainly trying to duplicate the CP1 doll. There are some subtle and not so subtle differences between the two:

32_chuckywip1.jpg

I built the compartment out of styrene and cast it in flesh-colored resin. No paint here expect for the buttons. This compartment will be installed in the doll body, which I will be making next. On side note, I made these batteries size "C" like the batteries in the CP2 doll. The batteries in CP1 say size "D," though they're never shown inside the doll. I'm not sure what size the real compartment is, but size C fits better in my doll, so I went with that.

32_batterycompartment.jpg

Last edited:
Re: BUILD THREAD: 1:1 Scale Good Guy Chucky Doll

Finished the eyes. After trying multiple techniques, I found that the best way to do these was to paint the iris with acrylics on the end of a power drill. The star pattern and pupil are custom waterslide decals. The entire thing is coated with many coats of lacquer (I still had yet to apply a few coats when this picture was taken). I originally tried to paint the whole eye with stencils and it wasn't perfect enough. I also tried custom waterslides for the entire iris and pupil together, but the curvature was too great and the decals became wrinkled on the edges. This was a hybrid of two methods and I'm very pleased with how they turned out.

32_chuckyeyes.jpg

Thanks! I'll have another update on this thread later today.

I created a custom pattern for the doll body. While the dolls in the CP2 factory scene have plastic bodies, most of the dolls in all the movies are floppy (meaning they are just stuffed fabric). I'm doing somewhat of a hybrid with the plastic battery compartment. I'm also putting an armature inside so I can pose the doll and make it stand up. So I get the best of both worlds.

32_chuckypattern.jpg

The white plastic thing is the armature. The stuffing is foam. The skin is the fabric doll body I'm creating. The hands (as well as the rest of the parts which you will see) are cast rubber from a screen-used doll by RPF member Coinprop. They're really excellent parts and he can chime in if he wants to regarding those.

32_chuckyarms.jpg

This is how I installed the battery compartment in the back of the doll. So much work went into making this part and no one will ever really see it!

32_chuckybackpanel.jpg

Here he is, all mocked-up. The head is not attached yet since I still have to paint it:

32_chuckymockup.jpg

And in other news, I received a sample pack from the plastisol transfer company today and tested it out on my custom-dyed corduroy. Still have a few kinks to work out with this, but I'm very happy with how it's coming along:

32_chuckycorduroy.jpg

Last edited:

Good guy chuck is by far the scariest, something so creepy about his innocent look. How did you get hold of a screen used prop to get a mold from it?

The parts were cast by a member here named "Coinprop." He's sold resin copies of the head before, but he did all the parts in rubber for me. He owns a screen-used doll.

Good guy chuck is by far the scariest, something so creepy about his innocent look. How did you get hold of a screen used prop to get a mold from it?

Beautiful Work ! A voice-box with a "Hi Im CHUCKY Wanna Play" recording would be cool.. You prolly thought of that already though. looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I thought about electronics, but the head is filled with flexible foam. If it was hollow, I could probably put servos in the head and make the eyes blink, head turn, and mouth move. Maybe something for a future version.

Beautiful Work ! A voice-box with a "Hi Im CHUCKY Wanna Play" recording would be cool.. You prolly thought of that already though. looking forward to seeing the finished product.

By the way, is anyone here a member of the Pride of Chucky forum? If so, could you please message one of the moderators are tell them to approve my registration? It's been unapproved for days and I'd love to start posting this over there.

Looking forward to your progress, I know you will do an immaculate job as usual.

Z

A couple more updates. First, I discovered that this head is actually cast from a CP1 doll, not CP2 as I originally thought (which is even better since that's the exact doll I want to duplicate). After some close scrutiny of the eyes and scaling them properly against the nose and other features on the face, I realized the eye sockets needed to be cut open 1/8 inch wider on either side and needed to be more oval shaped and less round. This was one of the most difficult and nerve racking things I've ever done in prop making because this head is rubber, not resin, so it's very hard to cut in a clean line and if I made a mistake, there's really no way to repair it well. Using some petroleum jelly to lubricate the blade and going through four fresh blades, I managed to do a little plastic surgery on Chucky and get the eye sockets just right. Really the eyes are going to determine the look of the doll, and I want them to be just right:

32_eyesockets.jpg

Along those same lines, I also decided the irises on my previous eyes were too large, so I made some smaller iris eyes. This time, I documented the painting process a little better. I just have to lacquer coat them tomorrow.:

32_eyeswip1.jpg

32_eyeswip2.jpg

I also created a pattern for the sweater. I'm getting the material custom knit for me by two different people (going to use the one I like best and sell off the other):

32_sweaterpattern.jpg

I mocked up the sweater using a cheap knit striped fabric I found at the store. I think the pattern looks spot on. Chucky is rocking his prison convict look:

32_sweatermockup.jpg

I thought I'd take this opportunity to show off my micro vac-former. I build this dinky little thing with parts from the hardware store so I could vacuform tiny parts without having to waste a whole sheet of styrene on my bigger table. I heat the styrene with a heat gun and use a regular household vacuum to provide the suction. It does the job for tiny little parts:

32_microvac1.jpg

32_microvac2.jpg

I'm using it to make the eyelids for my doll. The hero dolls had plastic eyelids and I like the look of them, so I decided to include them on my doll:

32_eyelid.jpg

OCD ALERT!!!!! I test fit the previous eyes I made. The first irises were too big, so I made some smaller ones. But those are too small!!!

32_eyetest1.jpg

So I made a THIRD set of eyes that are in between and I think I'll stick with these. They don't have lacquer on them yet so they don't have that nice glassy quality. I have to wait for the decals to fully dry and I'll lacquer coat them this weekend:

32_eyetest2.jpg

This is crazy awesome and oh so creepy. I'm really enjoying this thread. Your attention to detail baffles me.

Started painting the head. Acrylic paints work okay on this rubber, but in order to make it truly durable, you need to paint urethane rubber with tinted urethane rubber. I'm following this method:

Using Brush-On 40 To Paint Urethane Rubber

Got all the supplies:

32_urethanesupplies.jpg

Mix it up:

32_tintedurethane.jpg

Painted the mouth first, which is the easiest part. This stuff is a little nightmare to work with. It's like painting with cake icing. You can't really use it like traditional paint. It's very translucent, so you just have to sort of glob it on there and spread it around so it self levels. In order to get a matte finish, you have to wait until the urethane cures to its tacky state and then dust talcum powder on it. When it's fully cured, you wash the talc off. The overall effect isn't bad and it will never come off:

32_mouthpaint.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back