Metallica: Through the Never (pre-release)

JD

Master Member
In IMAX (lie-max) on September 27th - in all theaters on October 4th.
Starring Metallica and Dane Dehaan.

Metallica Through The Never

Trip, a young roadie for Metallica, is sent on an urgent mission during the band's show. But what seems like a simple assignment turns into a surreal adventure.

---
I sat through the Metallica: Through the Never "Team Hang" at the Orion Festival this past June with Lars Ulrich, director/writer Nimrod Antal, editor Joe Hutshing, and producers Charlotte Huggins & Adam Ellison and Bob & Jeanne Berney from Picturehouse. The movie had just locked in it's edit and we were shown a few scenes from the flick along with a Q&A and lots of info.

This doesn't seem to be your average concert film. Antal has written a narrative that intertwines with the concert footage... Dane Dehaan (from Chronicle and the new Spider-Man 2) plays a roadie and is said not to say a word in the movie.

Pure speculation on my part and probably way off base - but the way the music and action beats played together, there might be some sort of mystical element at play where one influences the other. Could just be my imagination.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's still people in Detroit?
Yes, there are still people in Detroit. Believe it or not, certain areas of Detroit are thriving and growing... wish people wouldn't make stupid assumptions.

The screening is in a suburb called Sterling Heights, which is the 4 largest city in Michigan and about 4 miles north of Detroit proper.

Yes, there are still people in Detroit. Believe it or not, certain areas of Detroit are thriving and growing... wish people wouldn't make stupid assumptions.

The screening is in a suburb called Sterling Heights, which is the 4 largest city in Michigan and about 4 miles north of Detroit proper.

It's called a joke not a a stupid assumption. I didn't think it was deserted. Geesh!

I'm amazed there haven't been any jokes about Metallica and napster. I'll love to see Lars' tantrum when the movie is online free 3 hours after it hits theaters.

I'm amazed there haven't been any jokes about Metallica and napster. I'll love to see Lars' tantrum when the movie is online free 3 hours after it hits theaters.
I was more concerned about Lars/Napster jokes than Detroit jokes - but, thanks for bringing the level of humor down even further.

Seriously, that jokes older than ripping of Detroit. I know way too much about the Napster situation... and I also know Lars is over it (so much so that he's admitted to downloading the last Metallica album illegally). It's even funnier because we're not allowed to talk about torrents and illegal downloading here (because it's wrong/illegal), we can't sell a Capt. America shield (because the licensee is on the board)... yet, some of us still take cheap shots because a band took a stand to protect their material. Yup, the lowest common denominator exists and posts here on the RPF - we can't talk about a movie without taking cheap shots... WTF?

I saw a thing on tv where Lars said it wasn't really about the fact that their music was on Napster, it was that music they hadn't finished showed up on Napster. I'm not sure what the deal was exactly. I think that if it wasn't Metallica it would have been some other group that would have finally gone after online music sharing.

I saw Lars talking about downloading it on That Metal Show. I always wondered how they got the music online before the albums are finished, you'd think they'd limit the folks who have access. The Napster thing made folks look bad on both sides. Lars just had the bad luck of being the most vocal on the side of the recording industry and got all the flack.

A fairly positive review:

Review: Metallicas Through The Never pushes 3D IMAX past the breaking point

"If 17-year-old me were to review the film, he'd probably bellow "A+" while banging his head. Speaking with a wee bit more objectivity now, I still think it's a dazzling aural/visual experience, as great a showcase for the potential of 3D IMAX as you could ask for, even if it feels somewhat slight when all is said and done. If you have any interest at all in the band or their music, you owe it to yourself to see this on the biggest screen you can find. Even if you're not a fan, it is an overwhelming few hours in a theater."

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back