Cthulhu Idol and Museum box

Instant coffee can be a lot of fun. A couple grounds on wet paper can make black fly spots or dry handfuls laid in careful patterns on a dry surface then misted with water leaves the coolest water spot effects.

Thanks Nick, that's reAly wonderful to hear from the guy who inspired you! My idol is 6" tall. The cultist box is about 12" x 8" x 4.5" I'm still drooling over you idol and museum base! Is there an ETA on when it will be available?

Thank you very much Rob! Love your sig by the way!

Thanks :D ...I'm a 20,000 Leagues Fan...and am building a themed Vulcania Man-Cave ;)

This weekend I went to a Steampunk exhibit at my local museum and they had a Nautilus themed sitting area. I was surprised how effectively they pulled it off with very little work and money.

Nick! Ill be watching and waiting and no doubt learning from your project!

Robert, that is awesome! Got pictures?

Koipond, Steampunk museum exhibit? Where?!?

Lots O pictures over at NautilusSubmarine.com :D

...also interested in the sitting room...where was it? Though don't want to pull your thread too far off course!

Rob

Sent from [location encrypted]...somewhere on the Tharkside of Barsoom ;)

...also interested in the sitting room...where was it? Though don't want to pull your thread too far off course!

The Oshkosh Public Museum had an exhibit of steampunk/diesel punk costumes, props, and art pieces including a large section on concept art from a Jules Vernes TV show. The small seating area was set up right outside of it looking into a porthole. The port hole was cut from plywood, backed with plexi and embellished with fake scallop shells. The wall was given the seamed sub look with simple straight trim and a metric ton of those wood plugs used in wood working and some plumbing pipes. What sold the whole thing was the paint job and the incorporation of ‘real’ items like the Victorian couch and repurposed bench top as wainscoting. Now for my horrible pictures.
20130908_135450.jpg20130908_135508.jpg20130908_135521.jpg

More on topic, for anyone tempted by hushukyo’s great work here should head over to their local museum or historical societies. All the Victorian display cases, 100+ year old arifacts and 1950’s labels can really spark awesome inspiration.

That's delicious! Now i just have To convence my wife that we ahould do this!

a kool note on weathering, I came across some photos I had taken at animal kingdom in Orlando with some sweet nature weathering ill post up in a couple of nights when I can get the time.

Excellent! For this kind of metals weathering I've used and am partial to ModernMasters paints :D

Also like the scallop shell accents on the porthole. I'm working on a mantle now that's going to incorporate a similar effect.

You wants some oceanic inspiration? Walk through the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago! WOW!!!

Rob

Actually hushhukyo, a ‘metal’ version of one of your boxes, weathered to look like it has spent the last millennia under the sea, sculpted sand instead of velvet cradling the 3rd statue would be sweet.

Aww damnit Koipond, that really is an awesome idea! Time to start the research. I'm not sure if ill have time to get it done in time for the kickstarter but it's too cool an idea to not do!

Don't forget the barnacles and a crawling starfish or two....like this maybe ;)

Rob

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1379163220.144301.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1379163220.144301.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 132
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1379163232.108144.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1379163232.108144.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 111
Goodness me, awesome work. I think you've absolutely nailed the effects to a tee (or coffee!!!). Trying to think of a project now where I can have a play with that. Thanks for showing us the work fella.

Goodness me, awesome work. I think you've absolutely nailed the effects to a tee (or coffee!!!). Trying to think of a project now where I can have a play with that. Thanks for showing us the work fella.

thank you for the kind words! Its such a cool thing to play with, the coffee and vinegar. im glad i was able to give back atleast a little to the forum that ive been pilfering ideas from for years!

so its been a bit but i thought i would post some more of my build. my project turned out really great for a first time kickstarter! I ended up making some coins as a thank you to all the supporters so i thought i would post those images as well.

002.JPG
this is the raw cold cast coins. they are brass and copper. there are a handful of finished ones on the side.

089.JPG image-341081-full.jpgimage-341082-full.jpg
they were a ton of work to make just for the fact of making each one similar but different. i think there was a total of about 200 of them!

092.JPG
i started building the brocade boxes at the same time. i sprayed them with a fine mister of antique sandalwood oil and then kept them in a sealed bin with opium incense in their separate parts to try and infuse a element of smell for the buyers. it worked great. its not to over powering and they combine to give it a great smell to add to the experience.

093.JPG095.JPG432.JPG
fabric fusion glue to bind it to the basswood was a pain in the butt. but i learned a lot about working with the cloth.

433.JPG435.JPG

crushed red velvet lid insert and fold cover as well.

002-b.JPG

i found some nice inexpensive white cotton that i hand died red wine red. never tried that before but it seemed pretty straight forward and worked great as a nice box liner to break up the red but staying in the color scheme.

005.JPG

foam cut to hug the idol and wrapped in more crushed velvet and placed in the box and viola! all done. brass clasped added and only 4 more to go :)

one thing that was fun to come out of the coins was a few bad casts that ended up turning out great as extremely weathered coins.
image-341084-full.jpg 158.JPG

thanks for reading, i hope you enjoyed!

Thanks, me too! I showed them by accident in the group pic and some one saw them and asked about them. I was going to keep them to myself but I ended up giving them all away!

thanks Schlitzie, should be any day now. I'm just wrapping up some final touches and waiting to for the story to print up!

Hehe,that was me :p.

Thanks, me too! I showed them by accident in the group pic and some one saw them and asked about them. I was going to keep them to myself but I ended up giving them all away!

thanks Schlitzie, should be any day now. I'm just wrapping up some final touches and waiting to for the story to print up!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back