My "budget" Dredd. UPDATE NEW PICS

SSgt Burton

Sr Member
So "budget" is relative. I tried to keep close tabs on my spending and to date I've spent over $800 on this build (with the helmet and motorcycle suit taking up the most funds).

So starting at the top. ;)

Helmet210_zpsf6175138.jpg

This is my Pannaus Props Dredd helmet. Completely finished by Fulvio- I did nothing other than add a wee bit of steel paint dry brushing on the battle damage grooves, and add some internal padding.

Helmet211_zps3c331a9c.jpg

Vest202_zps40026e6d.jpg

My scratch made vest, and motorcycle jacket.

The vest began as a leather vest I found at a second hand store. Going off the dozens of pics here on the RPF and the web, I eyeballed some templates for the armour plates:

Backplatestempletes001_zps09fcaf51.jpg

The plates were then created with multiple layers of craft foam:

Backplates001_zpsc5408a83.jpg

Vest302_zps7daf400d.jpg

And finally attached to the vest with Fabric Fuze double-sided sticky tape. This stuff is like gummy glue sticking to everything incuding the scissors used to cut the tape with! However it is great for fabric/leather and items that need to be stuck, but remain flexible.

Some close ups:

Vest002_zps4febe822.jpg

The Dredd badge is a promotional metal pin (offered at SDCC), and unfortunately undersized.

Shoulder bells were created from a hockey chest pad and sewn directly to the leather vest.

Eagle501_zpsf676c414.jpg

Eagle202_zps2ddef092.jpg

The Wings and Eagle were again three layers of craft foam. The pics don't really show it, but I used three different shades of gold (including one that was more on the green side), and then weathered with a black wash.

Crown002_zpsd07db9a8.jpg

The Crown. Not my best effort as I think it turned out more like a Shell gas station logo. :lol

The "bicep" armour actually started out as what was going to be the knee pads. However as luck would have it, I felt the knee pads looked better on my arms. I still had to shape some craft foam rather than using the existing hard shells the knee pads came with... mostly because I couldn't get any of every type of spray paint to stick to the damn off white shells. I even tried "dyeing" them with straight Rit-Dye!

Here is what the knee pads originally looked like to give you some idea:

579f7005-b2ed-45c0-8f60-e9e3d6e60d08_300.jpg

Belt101_zps68581cf9.jpg

My belt. This is one thing I plan on improving. It's more a hodge-podge of on hand items (some from my Grayson Robin costume).

Belt102_zps96a853be.jpg

The holster is again made from craft foam.

Belt103_zpse7a11167.jpg

The Medkit is craft foam as well. You can't really see it, but there is a red cross symbol embossed in the foam (albeit the craft foam has "memory" and so the cross is not as pronounced as when I first embossed it). The flashlight ring will eventually hold a bunch of ziptie handcuffs.

Belt104_zps707132d0.jpg

The "breaching mine" holder started out as a handcuff case that I cut portions out of to look like the mine holder (I will get around to spraying it green). The buckle is metal from ebay.

Lawgiver001_zpsc873a849.jpg

My Lawgiver is an "Air Zone Quickfire 6."

PROFILE-PAGE-QUICKFIRE-6-BLASTER-2_zpsf7490813.jpg

Lawgiver002_zpsc6a15901.jpg

Sprayed with satin black, then given a misting shot of flat black, and finally dry weathered with steel paint.

Dredd706b_zps9b7f6b6f.jpg

The motorcycle suit (just kidding on the CENSORED block ;) ).

EDIT Sept 5th 2013

Now some (better) full shots :lol

Dredd701_zpsa46c12a4.jpg
Dredd702_zpsc26fca84.jpg

Dredd708_zps35904d9e.jpg
Dredd710_zpsfff5663c.jpg

Dredd709_zpsc35d28b5.jpg

Dredd704_zpsc3c8ef65.jpg

Dredd705_zpsbd065a92.jpg

The boots are New Rock "Reactor" boots. Again reused from my Grayson Robin costume along with the gloves. I plan on buying the V4 Leathernext gloves, and eventually more accurate boots (although I "do" like the slight height increase my New Rocks give me :lol).

Here are a couple of "good" pics from Fan Expo in Toronto last month:

1229942_337028946433424_1548957738_nc_zpsf95c3307.jpg

Dredd603_zps85234471.jpg

Got to meet Karl Urban at the Expo! While it was the autograph line and I could only spend about 10 seconds with him, he did say "Yeeeessss! Awesome costume!" :D

So things I want to improve- definitely getting an accurate sized badge, and increasing the size of the chest armour plates (way too small, even though I was trying to "not make them too big" on purpose because of the undersized badge). I still have to create some accurate knee pads and elbow pads. And like I said, improving the belt with the "missing" items (gas grenade, flash bangs, door breaching mine).

Oh... and because I just couldn't resist...

Dredd707_zpsa77043b1.jpg

I AM THE LAW!!!!!!!

Kevin

Last edited:
Great work, very impressive.

I love seeing what everyone is using to just create these awesome suits!

Keep it up you guys.

As always with your costumes Kevin, this Dredd costume is brilliant, you always put so much thought into all of them and they all turn out wonderfully. I love this one and can't wait to see the upgrades you make to it.

Angie :cool

Got my buckle off Ebay and the SDCC Badge myself. Waiting for a Custom Badge though. Got myself, X6 Shell Shock Air Gun I will be painting up. My Lid arrived today. Appreciate the tips from your build which is Fantastic by the way. You look ready to bring Justice to the Lawless. Perps beware :cool

Hi Angie,

No; unfortunately I put this on the back burner in favour of other projects (I got into the Rocky films and Bond films).

Ironically I could have used those upgrades as I plan on dusting off my helmet for a local convention this weekend. :lol

Kevin

Understandable Kevin but still a shame none the less because it was really looking good, those upgrades would have made it even better.

Roughneckone :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back