Hook Portrait (My digital restoration)

AJLoCascio

Sr Member
So I've been wanting a decent copy of the portrait hanging in Hook's quarters to hang in my living room, but after doing extensive research on here I simply couldn't find a version I was satisfied with.

I saw the ebay listing Here - and it had some nice pics, but all were blown out and warped by the camera lens and just too yellow for my taste. I also saw the thread posted HERE - which had some great research by EyeofSauron and Hookmovie - and EyeofSauron was willing to sell me a copy of his for a small fee, but despite his great work it wasn't the portrait that I saw in my mind.

So standing on the shoulders of genious, I decided to pull a John Hammond and try my own version using only the pieces posted on that ebay listing and some artist license.

Now this is not an attempt at an exact replica by any means - I just wanted to make something that held up to scale (roughly 29x39 - 100dpi) - even though I will probably print this for myself much smaller.

So here are some vague progress pics:

This is me trying to find a satisfactory constant - and take the warp out of the pics from the listing - this changed A LOT as it went on.
Screen shot 2013-09-03 at 5.22.58 PM.png

Matching up the differnt elements, which were all at slightly different angles, was a huge pain in the butt:
Screen shot 2013-09-03 at 5.43.56 PM.png

And after a about a day of sporadic, but intense work here is the final painted over version which was adjusted, re-shaped and fixed in every way I felt it needed. I tweaked the color of the background to suit a darker decor and more befitting of a captain in my mind. I also touched up quite a few details and added some new highlights here and there - as well as trying to eliminate all the yellow and those spots of light/camera reflection:

So here is the final(ish) watermarked version:

Screen shot 2013-09-04 at 5.13.59 PM.png

And here is a close up at 100% magnification. I did my best to add a rough painted texture throughout using various brushed and tried my best to eliminate anything that looked too digital.

Screen shot 2013-09-04 at 5.14.27 PM.png

So that's it - I'm not sure if I'll be giving it out just yet, but let me know if you guys have any suggestions!

Bangarang!
-Moony

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-09-03 at 6.11.10 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-09-03 at 6.11.10 PM.png
    750.6 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
This looks excellent, especially given the starting material! A lot of skill of judgement.
I have a very similar project I've been wanting to do for a prop painting, but I'm no good with the brush settings in Photoshop to get it to look properly painted. :(

Please forgive the horrible watermarks - I tried to lessen it around the face, but here is the final version that matches what I see on screen to the best of my ability (or attention span!)

Last edited:
Ha, finally a topic that my experience can help with. I work for a print shop, while we don't do a lot of art print quality large format work, we aim for 150-180 dpi for photo quality work. Our machine is very forgiving and it also depends on the media you print to. Canvas with heavy tooth is pretty forgiving as well, but probably won't pick up fine details you add, and may look a bit pixelated.

The prints we do at 100 dpi are mainly large trade show graphics (3'x8' panels) that are meant to be viewed from a distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Wow that looks great ! I'm always amazed at digital restorations like this, I'd kill for a print of this if you decide to do one, movie paintings are a weak spot of collecting for me lol

@samotep - thanks! The pic itself is quite enormous as it is - like 30 x 30 or something - which to my eye is not too shabby on detail.
Mr.Spider - I'm going to transfer it myself to canvas first to test it and if there is enough interest I might consider doing a small limited run!

Last edited by a moderator:
Naaah Keep the watermarks where they are. this will prevent some P**ck from stealing your hard work and trying to resell it. sadly they lurk here!.

Awesome work. I am no stranger to paint shop or photo shop and know that even for the smallest simplest thing to look right there`s hours of work behind each pixel. unless of course you can find something really close and only have to work on a small portion of it.

Ok - so I got side tracked by life, but here are pics of the final version transferred onto canvas. The inside dimensions are 16" x 20.5"

There an 18" ruler in the 2nd pic for some visual scale:

Hook 4.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back