37 1/2 inch (1/2 studio scale) TOS Battlestar Galactica scratchbuild #2

Thanks guys, Not entirely an accurate pic of what it really looks like but this is what i wound up with after some weathering and and drybrushing etc.

196_zps6ca068e7.jpg

mike

Evergreen is a maker of plastic. They make sheet plastic, strips in various shapes and sizes, rods, tubes, square, half round, etc. Use these cut up into tiny pieces to add surface detail to the model.

Thanks guys, so after a lot of tinkering i think i have settled on what i consider a pretty simple and best looking engine light set up.

The stuff that Ryan found, the honeycomb stuff, is really perfect IMO. I wish i had figured that out earlier.

I wound up settling on a superbright 4 chip 12v volt LED for each engine and a 3mm red for the center engine. The 4 chip LED is a bit more expensive but is omi directional and really minimizes the hot spot of a standard LED

I did not use the provided LED holders for the but rather put the LED's in the provided structure for the engine section, this will really only work if you plan to permanently attach the top lid to prevent light leaks.

Diffuser is attached to the honeycomb material and really makes a nice engine glow.

Pics to show the configuration.
thanks
mike

104_zpseed3249f.jpg
108_zps4be977e1.jpg
109_zpsd5461edc.jpg
107_zpsd93d271a.jpg

Here you go, i get all my LED's here. They are so easily compatible with the cheap 12v power sources on Amazon and such. For a novice electronics guy like me it has always been pretty fool proof if I am not trying any flickering effect or anything like that. I figure any extra i pay for the pre wired LEDs, either the 4 chip or just regular ones, I easily save in time.

12V LED - Pre-wired Waterproof SuperFlux LEDs

One last bit for the day....

mike

112_zpse683e552.jpg
110_zpsf36f72a7.jpg
114_zps04a425fd.jpg

Looks fantastic, the honeycomb grid is a great idea may have to do that with mine. Are you going to use Randy's kit for the landing bays?

Hey Mike, great work. The honeycomb looks bang on. Takes me back to the old Monogram days of lighting.

I have tried to PM you a couple of times regarding buying one of your TOS BSG kits. No reply, but I know you are very busy. Any chance you can put me in the line for one?

Thanks

Patrick

Wow that looks amazing. Sorry for my recent absence, tied up on RL. Am still on the cg parts.

Hey Martyn, if you load the parts I want to update everyone with to shapyways I will buy them for casting. Shipping was only like $7 to me (USA i guess) for the Raider parts you did for me.

My plan is to clean them, mold them, take a few low shrink castings and make a gang mold so i can do like 5 or 6 update sets in each pour, that way I can get them out fast to everyone.

thanks
mike

Mike, it would be cool if these were done in time for you bring them to WF! That's probably pushing it though.

Edit- Mike, got my package today. Thanks! Hope to see you at WF.

Last edited:
Yep, plan to be at Wfest

Just a heads up, I will be away for about a week starting tomorrow and may have limited access to RPF.

I am almost at the end of the list and hope to finish up all the kits before WFest. Thanks to everyone for being patient, now that winter is over i should be back on track soon and on to other cool projects.......I hope....
thanks
mike

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back