Red Hood - My first scratch built costume

zodiac

Hey all and thanks for checking this out.

Inspired by this thread(http://www.therpf.com/f24/budget-batman-tdk-re-build-whole-suit-191262/) I decided to use the same method to make myself a Red Hood helm for this years Halloween costume. So far I have the paper mask pictured below, cardstock, duct tape, resin and fiberglass cloth.

The plan is to freehand the rest of the helmet using the mask as a base. Now my question to all of you(probably the one dude looking at this) is which one do I make? I was thinking of doing the one with just eyeholes and covering the rest of the face, but there's always the helm with the nose and mouth too. What do people prefer?

As stated I'm leaning towards the eye's only style based on personal preference but let me know what y'all think.

IMAG0519.jpg

While watching the new Breaking Bad I busted out the cardstock and scissors and started forming my helmets basic shape.I have it pretty snug fitting as is but the plan now is to rough out the basic shape, round off the top and the final step before resin will be to close the gap in the back and get it to fit tight around my head. Then I'll resin it and cut along the seams(black lines) to make it a tight fitting two piece helmet, most likely using magnets to hold it together.

Red_Hood_1320814048.jpg
IMAG0520.jpg
IMAG0521.jpg
IMAG0522.jpg

Haven't had time to do any more to the helm yet this week but looking at tons of reference pics on the Google I can see I need to add to the chin area and thin out the top to make it conform to my head a little tighter.

Still unsure which style I want, with or without face. Especially since the helmet is almost never drawn the same twice. Suggestions?

Next question for you guys, will the resin have an affect on the duct tape inside of the mask? My glue gun is MIA so I've been using duct tape inside to join the cardstock and paper mask together.

Also, I cut off the top to restart as the angle was too curved inwards. going to re-do it to get a more rounded top. I also taped the back into place for a snug fit after tightening and marking it to I can shape the top to the right size, so no more wearing it until I get the rest done and resined.

I also wonder about Elmer's glue and gluesticks. I need some way to bond these pieces that won't involve a glue gun until I find mine, wife must have used it lol. Can't sleep after a 13 hour watch so working on the nose and chin areas, I decided on keeping the mouth as is and thinning out the nose.

------Edit------

The sharpie marks are from the template that I made, the nose is actually thinned out on both sides but not noticeably because of the lighting and dumb phone pictures.

IMAG0523.jpg
IMAG0524.jpg

Also tracked down the glue gun, wife moved it when she rearranged the craft supplies.

Last edited:
Kept working while watching Supernatural, just have to round out the top and shape the bottom portion now. then I think it'll be close.

IMAG0525 - Copy.jpgIMAG0525 - Copy.jpgIMAG0526 - Copy.jpgIMAG0526 - Copy.jpgIMAG0527.jpgIMAG0528.jpg

Any comments, suggestion, etc would be helpful as this is my first endeavor!

Last update for today most likely, Got the top mostly square and need to adjust the bottom shape after I seal off the bottom to keep it snug and have it good to go there.

IMAG0529.jpg

I really need some help as far as the duct tape and hot glue goes please!

Why not just pep the mask and then fiberglass it?

I agree. The mask youre using as a base wouldnt be my first choice for Red Hood as the features are too wide.

You could also check ebay for airsoft masks, I found several that should work nicely ranging from 12-50 dollars.

Heres a couple of pics base mask 1.JPGbase mask 2.JPGbase mask 3.JPG

No working printer or cash to drop on a file. So I figured a scratch build with what's on hand would be good.

I agree. The mask youre using as a base wouldnt be my first choice for Red Hood as the features are too wide.

You could also check ebay for airsoft masks, I found several that should work nicely ranging from 12-50 dollars.

Again, this is a budget build with items on hand. I've already trimmed the nose down to a more realistic proportion and started reshaping the chin, it's really no more out of proportion than the masks you recommended aside from the DP one. Plus, if you look at the comics, the RH helmet changes and morphs constantly! Including at least one instance where his mouth is open as if the helmet has a mouth hole lol.

Good luck then.Will be interesting to see this when your all done.

Thanks, and sorry if that sounded ungrateful for the advice. Just re-read it and it came off as a little cocky to me, the guy who typed it lol.

Still wondering about the effects of fiberglass resin on the duct tape that is on the inside of the mask. Oh and after my work with the glue gun.....so many burns...so many burns.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back