Corvo Attano Mask - Dishonored

GasMaskSaxon

This build's already pretty far along, but a friend suggested I put it up, so here it is.

The main part of the skull plate is based on a pepakura file, but that was a little flat, so I used modelling clay to create the eyebrow ridges, cheekbones, etc. The gold panel was part of the pep model, cut out and modelled, again with clay and paper mache, to make the logo, then slathered in gloss so it looked smooth for painting. The dark panel above the eye is just a really big piece of clay, molded to fit the cutout in the skull. The pipe along the top is just a piece of cable, with bent paperclips pushed through the skull to hold it in place, and the gold lugs are painted cap nuts from a hardware store. The whole thing was given a flat black coat, then silver was sprayed from a distance to give a mottled look. Flat black was again sprayed from a distance to darken it where necessary.

IMG_0699.JPG IMG_0700.JPG

The jaws were a little trickier. The ones in the pep file were completely the wrong shape and would have been unwearable, so I had to make custom ones from EVA foam mats, using this as a reference. Once I had cut and shaped them, they were also paper mached and glossed, and holes were punched for the wires before a final gloss layer and painting. The wires are actually just ordinary galvanised steel wire, bent into C- or S-shapes and slotted into their holes in the jaws and face.

IMG_0701.JPG

The goggles were difficult, and I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out. The telescopic one is made mostly from a used bobbin, which already had two concentric cylinders. I cut them to size and used an EVA foam sleeve to bulk up the outer cylinder, then added more EVA rings and parts to build up the rest of the eyepiece. The two other cylinders are narrow-gauge brass pipe, cut to short lengths and attached with superglue. The other eyepiece was based on a fitting I found at a hardware store that just happened to be the perfect size. Pieces of EVA foam were stuck on to give the shape of the goggle as per the Bethesda model I linked earlier. Both pieces were sealed with gloss before an all-over coat of flat black, then painted gold with acrylic using a fairly dry hard brush. Once they were glued into position in the mask, I cut a small piece of steel and filed 'teeth' into one edge, then glued it across the bridge of the goggles.

IMG_0702.JPG IMG_0703.JPG IMG_0704.JPG

The velvet and burlap were fairly simple, just gluing the fabric into the mask to hold the correct shape. The long piece around the neck is the only place the two fabrics are actually stitched together.

I'll be updating this over the next couple of weeks and it should be finished pretty soon, so keep checking back for more. Feel free to let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Next up were the side panels that go behind the eyes. Since I needed to make two of them, I decided making them out of EVA foam was best, because it's easy to sculpt and I can make exact copies of a piece by cutting a cross-section of it. I already finished one by the time I remembered to get a photo.

corvo-attano-mask-dishonored-img_0708.jpg-226442d1378066113

Lots of little tiny pieces, the detail is ridiculous on this mask. The notches along the large round piece were all cut individually...sigh.

Part of this section of the build is a pair of brackets which attach to both the foam parts on the sides and a bunch of stuff that goes around the inside of the head. Those were made by double layering cardstock cut to the correct shapes, then gluing spacers between them.

IMG_0711.JPG IMG_0710.JPG

But they were finally both finished with a small piece cut from a paperclip pushed through the right places and glued in. Up for sealing and glossing, then paintwork.

IMG_0712.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 7,076
All finished! Found a brown leather belt which was perfect for the strap, and added the bracing pieces inside the face and across the brows. Won't let me attach any of the pictures of the inside for some reason...

IMG_0729.JPGIMG_0730.JPGIMG_0731.JPG

Very kind, both of you!

The best one I've seen is the one by TechMagic, but since his was 3D printed from Bethesda's own models and mine was made from paper, I'm happy with the results.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back