The Hobbit | The Arkenstone

narnia2012

Hi!
I have been thinking to buy this Arkenstone from The Hobbit (the first three pictures below), but I'm not quite sure yet. I mean, since you cannot see it that well in the movie, I'm not sure if this is screen accurate. According to the book it satisfies me, but what about the movie? And does anyone know if maybe Noble Collection will be creating an Arkenstone or someone else?

$T2eC16dHJGQE9noMbTwKBQO7OypeZg~~60_12.JPG$T2eC16ZHJFoE9nh6pN!fBQO7Oyzqqg~~60_12.JPGArkenstone2.jpgArkenstone.jpg

Thank you all! :)

I own this replica and I don't believe it to be screen accurate. However, it IS officially licensed by the Tolkien Estate/Saul Zaentz/whoever holds all the rights to all things Tolkien. It is based on the book description. It is a very nice piece of crystal and was bigger than I was expecting. (I know, I know, that's what she said haha)

I own this replica and I don't believe it to be screen accurate. However, it IS officially licensed by the Tolkien Estate/Saul Zaentz/whoever holds all the rights to all things Tolkien. It is based on the book description. It is a very nice piece of crystal and was bigger than I was expecting. (I know, I know, that's what she said haha)

Mmm that's very cool, about being officially licensed by them. I think I will be buying this because it is book-accurate indeed! (Haha good one).

I'm sure WETA will offer once the second or third film comes out... Very much look forward to that day

Yep! I think that too and I'm looking forward to that day. Eventhough I think I'm gonna buy this too. I really like it :)

So the arkenstone is just a crystal golfball.

HA HA HA HA! You made my night with this xD

Looks real nice, but i thought the Arkenstone was more of a teardrop shape in the movie, am i wrong? Good excuse to re-watch this weekend - I'll tell the wife it's for 'Research' purposes!!

Wikipedia says that it is a sphere in the movie. I dunno.

Does this replica have a thousand facets like book says it should have, or only a couple hundred?
(No, I don't expect you to count, but someone should know...)

Well the first picture makes it look like it only has around a hundred while the third puts me under the impression that it has around six hundred.
Looks like a great replica though, I'd love to have one.

As already stated, this is an official replica from the Book, endorsed by the Tolkien estate, but nothing to do with WETA or New Line. It's a lovely looking thing, but a very different design from the films.

Here are a few screencaps for some comparison, the ones where it's rolling into the horde of gold really give it away as being egg, or teardrop shaped

thehobbit-000355.jpg

thehobbit-000373.jpg

thehobbit-000387.jpg

thehobbit-000378.jpg

thehobbit-000638.jpg

thehobbit-000678.jpg

thehobbit-000687.jpg

thehobbit-000636.jpg

Looks real nice, but i thought the Arkenstone was more of a teardrop shape in the movie, am i wrong? Good excuse to re-watch this weekend - I'll tell the wife it's for 'Research' purposes!!

Yes, indeed. According to the film the Arkenstone is more like a teardrop. In fact, thanks to Pete SSS we can see that clearly: movie teardrop, book sphere. And yeah hahaha now that's a very good excuse :thumbsup

Wikipedia says that it is a sphere in the movie. I dunno.

Does this replica have a thousand facets like book says it should have, or only a couple hundred?
(No, I don't expect you to count, but someone should know...)

Wikipedia says that? :confused Very interesting since in the movie it is not sphere shaped.
I will be buying this soon, so maybe I can help with couting the faces hehe :p

Well the first picture makes it look like it only has around a hundred while the third puts me under the impression that it has around six hundred.
Looks like a great replica though, I'd love to have one.
Yep :thumbsup

I assume these are for general sale, where is such a thing found?

In their official site around $70 I think. You can also find it in eBay.

Thank you for the pics! :D
And yes, it's more like egg/teardrop shaped. Then, it would be veeery nice to have both: book and screen accurate. Assuming that NC or WETA will make it out for sale soon :p

Thanks to all you sleuths out there (petesss) for confirming my thoughts.

As much as this Arkenstone is more of a representation from the book, and as lovely as it is, i do hope that a movie accurate piece becomes available from someone like Weta or Noble.
It's something that i would expect Noble to produce, giving their past offerings, i wonder if there are plans for such a thing, need to wait and see. Perhaps they are holding out until movie 2 & 3 are released as the Arkenstone will be more of a big deal after these movies, and they will have to keep some things in their back pocket for future release?

Thanks to all you sleuths out there (petesss) for confirming my thoughts.

As much as this Arkenstone is more of a representation from the book, and as lovely as it is, i do hope that a movie accurate piece becomes available from someone like Weta or Noble.
It's something that i would expect Noble to produce, giving their past offerings, i wonder if there are plans for such a thing, need to wait and see. Perhaps they are holding out until movie 2 & 3 are released as the Arkenstone will be more of a big deal after these movies, and they will have to keep some things in their back pocket for future release?

Yeah, I believe Noble and probably WETA will create too. The only thing is that perhaps I will be buying the one from Noble. Why? Example: the Evenstar from The Lord of the Rings. WETA and NC made it. BUT if you see the Evenstar in the movie NC has the more accurate version... yeah, yeah I know WETA is WETA but just saying. Few days ago I compared Noble and WETA versions with the Evenstar in the movie and just realised that! Incredible but truth. So in simple words: I do hope they make the Arkenstone and propably I will be buying the one from NC :)

Now that the last movie is shown in the theaters...Anyone has any ideas on how to make the arkenstone? I'm thinking that a mold from a large egg could be used and then filled with "something" . Can't figure out how to make the "galaxy" that is inside it.

What size would all of you say that the arkenstone is in the movie. It pretty much fills bilbos hand when he holds it so it must be something like 3-4 inches?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back