The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - the Master Sword (my redesign)

red4

Sr Member
Here is the final drawing of my redesigned Master Sword, based on its appearance in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I also drew a lot of inspiration from Conan's Atlantean sword.

the_master_sword_by_action_figure_opera-d6k0tea.png

Check out the life-sized view: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/239/f/e/the_master_sword_by_action_figure_opera-d6k0tea.png
I can't guarantee the full view is actually life-sized; so to make sure you can see the life-sized drawing, I included a calibration square. Resize the image until the square is 1 inch wide by 1 inch. My monitor settings are already calibrated to this, but yours might be different.

I listened to nothing but the ALttP soundtrack while drawing this.
The childish blue design which is more popular for the Master Sword really doesn't appeal to me at all. I much prefer the dramatic, romantic steel and red colors from ALttP. It looks more ancient and mystical this way. The reason I redesigned it is because it's proportions are too cartoony, and it was too simplistic in certain areas (for my taste). The most significant change, to me, was to shift the "shoulders" of the wings further away from the grip. In reality, these would bite into the wielder's wrist, so I addressed that issue in my redesign.

My plan is to build this out of poplar and PVC.

Check out my initial mock-up compared to the final design.
swords_by_action_figure_opera-d6k0vsu.png

Here's a diagram showing the length of the sword as it appears on my monitor. In reality, though, I'm expecting up to 1/4 inch loss due to everything being cut by hand, as well as sanding. As swords go, it seems short, but I've always preferred short swords (most of my custom sword designs are based in some way around the Roman gladius). Not to mention it's meant to be held in the hands of a little elf boy - so it should still be kind of big for him.
master_sword_length_by_action_figure_opera-d6k424c.png

Last edited:
I love this design and it's how they should be doing things. The series is too cartoony and weirdly designed compared to the original games. Link to the past was the last one i could get into. This is a sword worth finally using to put and end to that creepy Tingle guy. lol.

I love this design and it's how they should be doing things. The series is too cartoony and weirdly designed compared to the original games. Link to the past was the last one i could get into. This is a sword worth finally using to put and end to that creepy Tingle guy. lol.

Agreed. However, I wish they made modern Link into less of a prettyboy. I can't stand him that way.

already shared these with red4, posting here for everyone else to see. I am actually a 3D Artist, I found red4's design here while on the forum last week when he posted it. I did the design up in 3D since I was in need of making new material for my portfolio and really loved this design. I finished modeling it for the most part tonight, still need to tighten up a couple things then I'll be taking it into ZBrush for the finer details.

I DO NOT intend to 3D print this or make any reproduction since this is red4's design, like I said I just did it for a portfolio piece nothing more.

CMS_1.jpg
CMS_2.jpg

Made a few changes to the design to address some things that were bothering me.

master_sword_redesigned___revised_by_action_figure_opera-d6lkz7f.png

I guess the last one wasn't so final; but I think this one is.

Very cool dude!!!!

I really like the look of this sword.

Now if only we could make Link look more badass as well... :D

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back