EveningArwen's Halloween Costume Contest Entry 2013

Eveningarwen

Am I really doing another build right now? I think I am....I'm pretty sure I'm nuts as I have so many things going on at the moment. But that aside, I want to do the Halloween contest this year on the RPF and I know they want build threads so I figure I should go ahead and start this. Also it tends to force me to actually take my time with my costumes and not just throw them together last minute and yell surprise hahahaha!

So now that we have a daughter I've been thinking of family costumes. And well....my husband is tired of wearing costumes that require women shoes, crazy hair and intense makeup. For those not in the know he has been Sweeney Todd, Prince Nuada from Hellboy II, Mad Hatter from Tim Burtons Alice, Caster from Tron and Rumpelstiltskin from Once Upon A Time. All pretty intense costumes. So I PROMISED him no more extreme costume like those for this year.

Which is why I'm making him Lestat.

Now I know there are some out there going "Doesn't Lestat have long crazy hair?", "Doesn't he have makeup and fangs?", "Isn't he from a time period where the men pretty much wore what we now a days think of as women's shoes?".

What I have to say to those folks is that you are CLLLEEARRRLLY missing the point here. My husband is constantly mistaken for some kind of weird Tom Cruise look alike and that obviously means he has to be Lestat. Since I have deemed it so then it must be done. I'll make him Luke Skywalker next year or something.

Lestat Lounging and my Husband pretending to be Lestat pretending to be Rumpelstiltskin lounging. You see the connection? Of course you do, how could you not.

(believe it or not, loads of people have said "is that Tom Cruise dressed as Rumple?".....I dunno.)

So here are the costumes that I want to do:

For Claudia...well my daughter will be almost 1 and she is walking which helps lol. I wanted to do this when she was older but I'll just remake her a gown. For now I'm going to do one of the simpler dresses she wears that's more baby friendly. I also wanted to do one with a bonnet or make a bonnet to go with the dress so that I can attach some loose curls to the bonnet. She's to young to be wearing a wig but when she wears the bonnet for a short time I'll make it look like she has those long blond curls and then when the bonnet is off nothing is bothering her like a wig would.

Now if anyone is asking "Who's going to be Louis?" the answer is me. Yeah I'm a girl. Pfffft. And I'm not going to be doing a "fem Louis". I'm going all out on this one guys. I'm growing out my eyebrows to bushy glory and I'm getting a wig that I can punch some sideburns into. While I look nothing like Brad Pitt it's still going to be magnificent. I promise.

So things I'm running across in my initial search is that 1) That blue velvet jacket has to be embroidered and I have no clue how to do that. I have a machine here that I'm borrowing from a friend but it has no program in it and I have to either download or buy the program for it. Even so, once I do that I don't know how to actually operate it. This will be major hurdle number 1 for sure. 2) Louis' costume is pretty straight forward except for that stupid vest material. It's clearly a rust and gold brocade but my issue is that the pattern is very unique. For the love of God he has Phoenix on his chest!! Some nice little fabric homage to Vampire rebirth right there I'm thinking. I've been looking but have yet to come up with anything like that. But I have found somewhat decent alternatives. But man I was really hoping for that bird to be on there.

I need to get the blu ray of this movie so I can get some high quality screen caps of the specific costumes I'm doing. But if anyone has any please post them here as I haven't gotten that far yet clearly! Also if anyone has any tips or tricks on what I should do for the embroidery please let me know. If I start on this now, slowly, I should be able to have it done by Halloween.

Oh and Vampire fangs. If anyone knows of some good places for Vampire fangs I'll take that info too. I have some research on most likely where I'll get them but I always love hearing personal experiences with stuff like that.

I'll start posting when I order fabric or if I need help choosing fabric that I'm looking at soon!

Most of my other posts shouldn't be this long............which is total BS as if you read any of my other threads they're all this long. Whatever, we need more literature in our life.

Last edited:
Re: Interview with a Vampire - Lestat, Louis and Claudia Halloween costumes

So I ordered our wigs from Arda. I bought the lace front Matilda wig in dark ash blonde and bought some pale blonde wefts that I will sew into the wig for a more dimension for Lestat.

Matilda | Arda Wigs
Short Weft | Arda Wigs

I bought the Dude lace front wig for Louis so I can punch in a small widows peak and I will also take some of the extra lace that I cut off the front and use it to extend down a bit on the sides so I can punch in some longer sideburns. I got the wig in the Spanish brown color as it has a bit more of a red brown look like he has in the movie. In fact I think the image shown might be spanish brown.

The Dude (AKA Imladris) | Arda Wigs

And for Claudia I got 2 of these curled clips that I will use to line the outer rim of her bonnet to make it "look" like she has curls. I chose ginger blonde for those curls as it was the closest color they had in them that came in a slight golden hue without being to "yellow" looking.

Curly Clip | Arda Wigs

I need to order the teeth and contacts and do a makeup test once the wigs are here and worked on. That will really gives us an idea if we should go all out on this or maybe just do the fancy pirate shirt and pants and leave it at that hahahaha!

Just bought our fangs from here:

Scarecrow Custom Fit Vampire Fangs

I can't tell with Louis but I'm sure it's the same. But with Lestat he actually has two fangs so I got the small subtle pair for both of us and the standard size for both of us. I'll see if we can wear them both at once. They had a double fang set but reviews weren't the best for the natural look. Or as natural as a vampire can be. So I'm trying this instead.

Really looking forward to seeing these!
Sounds like you've really got the grips with the wigs and they look pretty promising.
Definitely following this

All of the vampires in Interview with The Vampire have the double fangs.

This is totally awesome! Can't wait to see them. Maybe next year Craig can be Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible. No women's shoes or complex costume pieces there.

Anyway, not sure how you're currently planning to go about that vest fabric, but at work we use this cool adhesive stuff to stick sheets of felt to sheet metal pieces and that made me think of a possible solution. It wouldn't exactly be a brocade, but you could simulate a perfect replica of the actual pattern in burnout velvet by using wonder under ironed onto gold velvet, then laser cut to the shape and ironed onto your fabric. I can do the laser cutting for you if you're interested in this method.

This is totally awesome! Can't wait to see them. Maybe next year Craig can be Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible. No women's shoes or complex costume pieces there.

Anyway, not sure how you're currently planning to go about that vest fabric, but at work we use this cool adhesive stuff to stick sheets of felt to sheet metal pieces and that made me think of a possible solution. It wouldn't exactly be a brocade, but you could simulate a perfect replica of the actual pattern in burnout velvet by using wonder under ironed onto gold velvet, then laser cut to the shape and ironed onto your fabric. I can do the laser cutting for you if you're interested in this method.

Actually we have a Mission Impossible costume for him hahahahahah! He wore it to a party at Abby and Keiths! I should dig up a photo. And I am definitely interested in that idea for the Louis vest!! I think with Lestat I'm going to try the embroidery but if it completely fails then I could do that as well. I'll have to see if I can get a good image of his vest as most of it is hidden so I'll probably have to make it up based from the little bit I can see.

Cool. If you can make the graphic for the design in vector format in either Illustrator or Corel that would help me a lot, otherwise it'll take me some time to convert it. Send me a message on Facebook when you want to move forward with it.

Figured I'd put these here for fun. We didn't actually get any other shots really from this party in his Mission Impossible outfit but it was still fun lol!

So the Arda wigs came in and the teeth came in!!!! Man!! Those wigs rock!! I mean really, they are high quality for a really low price. Especially in natural colors. Anytime you do bright pink or blue it starts to look a bit "fake" but these I love. So obviously I need to do a lot of styling and I haven't done any of the reshaping of the hairline yet. I didn't glue in the teeth either so they're just sitting precariously in my mouth. But I HAD to throw something together really quick just to get an idea and I kinda love it! I think with proper makeup and styling for Oct this costume is going to rock on me. I mean, again, I'm not Brad Pitt lol but I don't think I will be terribly unrecognizable on my own as Louis which means together with Lestat it should be pretty obvious.

Some work on the Lestat wig. I've been ventilating the front since it was just to "clean and perfect" of a hairline. Plus he has a side part and a bit more of a highlight blonde front. I still have to do small waves in the hair though and I still have loads of ventilating to do. Although as it is it could probably pass just fine. But I want to do some more on the side of the head to break up the line a bit and build up the part just a little bit more.

The order is from when I first started a couple of days ago to how it looks now. I just brushed it and tied it back for now to give a better look of what it will be.

A quick photo of my daughters bonnet for her Claudia costume. Her costume is not going to be screen accurate because....well....she's not even a year old yet lol! I'm more going for the "feel" of Claudia. I wanted her to have the curls that Claudia has but she's to young for a wig so I am attaching pieces of hair to the edges of this bonnet which she will be wearing. I still obviously have much more to go but this was to cute not to share!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back