Captain America: Avengers costume genderswap

imatangelo

First off, I'm super new to this forum (lots of lurking, not a lot of posting).

I've loved the Avenger's Captain America costume. The jacket! With all it's many pieces (I think I counted 38 separate pieces when I was making the pattern). I wanted to make a tough female version that didn't suffer from the "showing the tummy" syndrome. I even made myself blonde for this darn thing. Now, I warn you these are call kinda crappy iphone pictures.

My initial concept sketch:
IMG_1672.jpg

Holy moly guys, this costume will be the death of me. I could go on and one with the trials and tribulations I've gone through so far, but instead I thought I'd share some process shots. I'm prepping all of this for DragonCon this year.

I hand dyed the fabric (4 times!) to get the color right, and suffered a bleaching accident on half of the lighter blue fabric

Pants:
IMG_1872.jpg

Corset (red and white pleather):
IMG_1891.jpg

Jacket (and hood): The star is a metal one I picked up and painted around the 4th of July
IMG_1897.jpg IMG_1898.jpg IMG_1900.jpg IMG_1901.jpg IMG_1902.jpg

and with the silver shoulder pieces (these are made of craft foam for flexibility:
IMG_1913.jpg

I'm running into some chipping issues on my shield due to the masking tape pulling up the paint which I'm trying to remedy now. Sadly, I'm kind of against a time crunch, so the shield may just end up with "battle damage." I'm also working on covering the boots.

I'll update as I finish more.

Attachments

• IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 373
This is quite dope! Definitely can't wait to see more, miss. The jacket/hood combo looks sick! :D Did you have to sew all the different patterns on it separately?

This is quite dope! Definitely can't wait to see more, miss. The jacket/hood combo looks sick! :D Did you have to sew all the different patterns on it separately?

Thanks! And yeah, I to sew all the pieces separately Most crazy pattern I have ever made. Total pain, but I think the end result was worth it. Luckily I did a test jacket ahead of time to make sure all the pieces worked.

I'm working on the shield, belt, and boot coverings right now.

Thanks! And yeah, I to sew all the pieces separately Most crazy pattern I have ever made. Total pain, but I think the end result was worth it. Luckily I did a test jacket ahead of time to make sure all the pieces worked.

I'm working on the shield, belt, and boot coverings right now.

Very awesome! And you're mighty welcome. And yes, that pattern just looks like a nightmare, I can't imagine trying to do it, much less twice! :wacko LOL.

How's the progress on those going? I've always had a soft spot for Captain America's shield for some reason, it's just awesome. :love

Looks fantastic so far!
Really looking forward to seeing this altogether.
The corset is gorgeous! Did you buy it white or was is already red and white striped?

Last edited:
Looks fantastic so far!
Really looking forward to seeing this altogether.
The corset is gorgeous! Did you buy it white or was is already red and white striped?

I actually made it myself. I found white and red pleather and went at it. It's great because I match my reds with my boots since I'm covering them with the same pleater

Looking good.
What paint are you using for your shield and which brand of masking tape?

I'm using the Duplicolor Metal Cast and Frog Tape with some 1/4 inch masking tape for minis for those curves.

I sanded and re-sprayed the blue last night and used drafting tape. Seemed to be much more gentle on the silver.

I'm really new to layered spray paint projects, so this has definitely been a learning experience.

Here's my progress from last night:

The wrist gauntlets. All I need now is to add the silver details. (you can also see my husband's plasti-dipped Galactus helmet in the background)
IMG_1845.jpgIMG_1918.jpgIMG_1917.jpgIMG_1916.jpg

And I finished spraying and "distressing" the leg ones for the boots (not the most exciting picture). I'll be putting the matte finish on it tonight
IMG_1924.jpg

And my boot covers in process. The red I'm covering the boots with is the same I used in my corset. Matching!
IMG_1923.jpgIMG_1922.jpgIMG_1921.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words so far! It really keeps me motivated! This is the more time intensive costume I've ever made with a lot of new techniques for me, so it's been a crazy few months so far. One week left till DragonCon!

This is awesome! I love seeing genderbender costumes done right! I know that jacket was a nightmare for my fiancee when she did mine, especially as we used a stretch fabric. I was reminded many times that "I'm lucky she loves me" :p. Not my fault she won't let me near her sewing machine!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back