Ben-Hur Remake (Post-release)

Re: Ben-Hur Remake

Having watched the trailer, all I can say is, meh! It looks uninteresting, not bad, just uninteresting. It also looks to be very historically inaccurate and do they have to perpetuate the old Hollywood myth that oarsmen on Roman war galleys were slaves? We've known for some time now that they weren't, they were paid professionals, but I forget, this is Hollywood and they never let an old trope or myth dies.
They can't even get generally known history correct, so how are they to get something like that right? Pyramids in Hollywood will continue being built by slaves too.

Galley slaves vs paid workers: This story needs that particular inaccuracy to work right. The alternative is to either give up JBH being a slave at that stage of the story, or else give up JBH being on a warship in a naval battle and what happens there. Neither option is a great one. And ancient Rome generally had a nasty slave habit so it seems appropriate to work that experience into the story somewhere.

The solution, make him the personal slave of one of the officers aboard the galley, problem solved. Not that Hollywood would know this but there were many different kinds of slave in the Roman Empire, hey weren't all like black slaves in the US before the Civil War toiling in the fields. It wouldn't be unrealistic for a high ranking officer to have a slave as his personal valet/man servant, while he wouldn't be in shackles and chains he'd still be a slave and while household slaves were generally treated better than field slaves there's no reason why his master still couldn't be hard on Ben-Hur.

- - - Updated - - -

They can't even get generally known history correct, so how are they to get something like that right? Pyramids in Hollywood will continue being built by slaves too.

Oh yeah, slaves and pyramids, I've forgotten about that one, another popular Hollywood trope and myth.

The solution, make him the personal slave of one of the officers aboard the galley, problem solved. Not that Hollywood would know this but there were many different kinds of slave in the Roman Empire, hey weren't all like black slaves in the US before the Civil War toiling in the fields. It wouldn't be unrealistic for a high ranking officer to have a slave as his personal valet/man servant, while he wouldn't be in shackles and chains he'd still be a slave and while household slaves were generally treated better than field slaves there's no reason why his master still couldn't be hard on Ben-Hur.

It would still reduce the drama to make him an "indoor slave" of any sort. The hopeless drudgery of being a galley slave with the ever-present threat of being rammed & drowning was a very powerful setting.

And who would you cast in the role of "Shesus"?

Although instead of giving Her-Hur water Just popping out her T***y and nursing from the heavenly breast would draw in a lot of guys.

Wow, that POS is from Timur Bekmambetov? I would never have pegged it as one of his... I can't help but wonder if that's part of the problem with this movie. It seems to have none of the panache I would expect from Bekmambetov.

And Firesprite plays the +Sarcasm card for 20 points damage, triple score for managing to pair Bekmambetov and Panache in the same sentence. Well played my lady.

And Firesprite plays the +Sarcasm card for 20 points damage, triple score for managing to pair Bekmambetov and Panache in the same sentence. Well played my lady.

Timur Bekmambetov did the "Night Watch" and "Day Watch" films, which, if you haven't seen them, are pretty awesome.

Maybe so but doing an unnecessary remake of a classic that still holds the records for Oscars...Hey look everyone, I made a replica Ford Pinto out of Cardboard.

Maybe so but doing an unnecessary remake of a classic that still holds the records for Oscars...Hey look everyone, I made a replica Ford Pinto out of Cardboard.

More like "Oh yeah? Well, my resin replica of a Ferrari Enzo that's powered by a sewing machine is gonna be even better than the original!"

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back